Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Now for something completely different


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I knew what you meant!  Thought Lyle may have given you a dummy email.  When I first went to the UK as a travelling young person, people would ask me did I know their "our Joan" .  It was a different world then.  No-one came back and no-one who stayed travelled.  I had an English great uncle who married my grandmother's sister and got a property through Soldier's Settlement.  His brother settled in Canada and all his sisters stayed in mid England and Wales.  I took my elderly second cousin home to England to meet all his sisters. I did the same with a neighbour who met all her Polish great aunts an uncles for the first time.  WWI made a huge difference to breaking up families forever,

It really did, and it also left almost an entire generation of young women denied  the chance of marriage and family because so many young men either never returned to their beloved great southern land, or were seriously injured or incapacitated  for life.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We certainly would!  Maybe one day…

Have you been there?  It is a beautiful place to visit.  The west coast is ruggedly beautiful.  Small distances to drive around by car.  One time my daughters were shifting from the East Coast to West Coast in the mountains near Calgary when someone was killed by a bear there.  So they shifted to Calgary instead.  When we arrived in Vancouver Island we asked about the bears (like people ask about our sharks, stingers, etc,)  The person replied it is not the bears you should be worried about but the cougars, which was news to me.  I raced to the newsagent and sure enough there were lots of stories of people being stalked by cougars!  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

It really did, and it also left almost an entire generation of young women denied  the chance of marriage and family because so many young men either never returned to their beloved great southern land, or were seriously injured or incapacitated  for life.  

No wonder my great uncles' sisters waited on him hand and foot when he returned home for an annual visits well into his late 80s. Now the women would go themselves!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

I’ll ask tomorrow morning at breakfast.  We loved our Baltic cruise, Marion, and it was our second. The history is fascinating, and the communities so diverse.  Have you found any possibilities?

Having fun finding lots of possibilities but then something is not right.  Started in the beautiful Baltics (Fred Olsen) then shifted to a cruise from England to Norway (I get benefits with Hurtigruten). I would love to cruise on an Ocean Liner, QM2 but I don't want to cruise to the US nor across the Bay of Biscay. Then no coronation date has been confirmed yet (2/6 long weekend ?).

Are you dreaming of any more travels after this great cruise and land travel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks for your concern. I really only had one afternoon that I would call uncomfortable, but with excellent care from the medical staff, and the magic lollies (antivirals) I bounced back quickly.  We really only had to isolate the last two days, so no inconvenience at all, really.  A lingering cough the only symptom now, but I suspect this is at least Day 6-7, so probably only just made the optimum antiviral window.  Hoping  Mario remains negative, but he’s clear so far I think.  We counted about another 10 disembarking with white escorts 😂.  One couple had been in isolation for eight days, because one followed the other in returning positive PCRs.  What about on Princess?

Good to hear you've recovered quickly. 

 

There haven't been any signs of Covid currently on Coral Princess that I've seen or heard of. Not much coughing, and most people are still wearing masks. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Please all send your thoughts to Rosie for me, she has had a rough day today as it is our wedding anniversary. 34 years of suffering my jokes is quite a lot for her to bear. 😉

I have no idea how I missed this. I hope you made up for the 34 years she has endured with you by indulging her whims, springing for a spa day and taking her for a wonderful dinner paired with a marvelous wine.

A belated Happy Anniversary to you both.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have no idea how I missed this. I hope you made up for the 34 years she has endured with you by indulging her whims, springing for a spa day and taking her for a wonderful dinner paired with a marvelous wine.

A belated Happy Anniversary to you both.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

Cheers, Itook her out for lunch and drinks, then a spa session followed by an evening of fine food, drinks and a movie.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, Itook her out for lunch and drinks, then a spa session followed by an evening of fine food, drinks and a movie.

Outstanding. My lovely wife is having a milestone birthday on Monday, unfortunately they wouldn't give her the day off so the options are limited. There will be a nice dinner though probably at the same restaurant we celebrated our 20th anniversary last year.

I'm glad you had a good day.

Cheers, Lyle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Have you been there?  It is a beautiful place to visit.  The west coast is ruggedly beautiful.  Small distances to drive around by car.  One time my daughters were shifting from the East Coast to West Coast in the mountains near Calgary when someone was killed by a bear there.  So they shifted to Calgary instead.  When we arrived in Vancouver Island we asked about the bears (like people ask about our sharks, stingers, etc,)  The person replied it is not the bears you should be worried about but the cougars, which was news to me.  I raced to the newsagent and sure enough there were lots of stories of people being stalked by cougars!  

 

 

We’ve been several times, and Agree Lyle’s Vancouver Island is truly beautiful, as is all of BC.  We were last there in 2019.  People on our cruise asked how we could possibly live with the world’s most dangerous snakes snd spiders.  We always replied that the bandicoots take care of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Having fun finding lots of possibilities but then something is not right.  Started in the beautiful Baltics (Fred Olsen) then shifted to a cruise from England to Norway (I get benefits with Hurtigruten). I would love to cruise on an Ocean Liner, QM2 but I don't want to cruise to the US nor across the Bay of Biscay. Then no coronation date has been confirmed yet (2/6 long weekend ?).

Are you dreaming of any more travels after this great cruise and land travel?

We’ll enjoy this trip for now, then we always end up looking for new options after a while.  We’ll see😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Outstanding. My lovely wife is having a milestone birthday on Monday, unfortunately they wouldn't give her the day off so the options are limited. There will be a nice dinner though probably at the same restaurant we celebrated our 20th anniversary last year.

I'm glad you had a good day.

Cheers, Lyle

Very happy birthday wishes to Lyn🎉🍾

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was cod that time. Normally I don't like cod much as it can be watery but that lot was beautiful.

 

They have some wonderful salmon dishes on Coral. It's always available but they vary the sauces and accompaniments.

Barb loved her salmon dishes on our last Coral cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Barb loved her salmon dishes on our last Coral cruise.

Indeed I had Salmon a couple of times on Coral.  I gave the shrimp cocktail with lemon myrtle sauce a whirl too, but some nights asked for thousand island dressing on them instead of the lemon stuff.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

#### Mareblu, Linda were masks required to be worn on your Oceana cruise? 

Only for the crew, Les.  We wore masks everywhere for the first few days, but eventually fell victim to Stockholm Syndrome (which is where I think I actually caught it🫣😂).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Only for the crew, Les.  We wore masks everywhere for the first few days, but eventually fell victim to Stockholm Syndrome (which is where I think I actually caught it🫣😂).

Fair enough, in hindsight masks all the time in public areas might have saved you, all the best. A few proper Cornish pasties will fix you up, washed down with a couple of pints of ye olde scrumpy cider.

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the pre match entertainment for NRL grandi

final, Jimmy Barnes belted out the tunes, ok, but give me Robbie Williams at the AFL show anytime, class act.

 

Anyway, Penriff to win…18 to 8.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Watching the pre match entertainment for NRL grandi

final, Jimmy Barnes belted out the tunes, ok, but give me Robbie Williams at the AFL show anytime, class act.

 

Anyway, Penriff to win…18 to 8.

They have some of that scoreline for half time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They have some of that scoreline for half time

yep, Penriff on a roll. Would be on MUTS on Coral Princess, 🍿 and all under a sub tropical sky.

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Chocolate Soldiers done good. Too strong in first half. Our Mr Walker will be happy. A good game of rugby league to watch.

 

No doubt about it Penrith Panthers are a star side.

🏉

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

Watching the pre match entertainment for NRL grandi

final, Jimmy Barnes belted out the tunes, ok, but give me Robbie Williams at the AFL show anytime, class act.

 

Anyway, Penriff to win…18 to 8.

Love Robbie Williams, and love Michael Buble’s crooning even more.  Both naturals🥰

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise News
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...