Now for something completely different

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

You'd be home by now, hopefully safe and well and resting after your trip.  Keep safe and well, both of you.

We are home and well. We got home just before 1:00 AM, we woke up early as usual. I'm taking the day off and Lynn still has a couple weeks of "vacation" left.

It was a nice get away but we are happy to be home.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@lyndarra Hey Lyndon, it looks like you are on a great adventure, immersed in the local lifestyle. I'm enjoying your little reports. continue to explore I'm envious.

I hope we mange to get together when your travels bring you to the wet coast of the Great White North.

Thanks Lyle. Latest is I crashed a mountain bike on the road near our digs. The rear view mirror of a parked car was protruding a little to far into the road. To tell the truth I was looking at the front sprocket set shifter and not where I was going. Left chunks of skin all over the road. Busted the seat off the bike too. Now I have a great case of raspberry rash, a sore shoulder and ribs and a possible haematoma on my left leg below the knee. I had a stack hat on but there's not a scratch on it.

We went to a shopping centre this arvo and found a pharmacy with a resident nurse and she did a great patch-up job. Merci beaucoup Madam. No charge. Walked out with a bag full of plasters and tape. It will be tricky having a shower tonight or maybe I'll give myself a sponge bath instead because no one here is willing to volunteer. My first bicycle prang since I was about 17.

31 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Thanks Lyle. Latest is I crashed a mountain bike on the road near our digs. The rear view mirror of a parked car was protruding a little to far into the road. To tell the truth I was looking at the front sprocket set shifter and not where I was going. Left chunks of skin all over the road. Busted the seat off the bike too. Now I have a great case of raspberry rash, a sore shoulder and ribs and a possible haematoma on my left leg below the knee. I had a stack hat on but there's not a scratch on it.

We went to a shopping centre this arvo and found a pharmacy with a resident nurse and she did a great patch-up job. Merci beaucoup Madam. No charge. Walked out with a bag full of plasters and tape. It will be tricky having a shower tonight or maybe I'll give myself a sponge bath instead because no one here is willing to volunteer. My first bicycle prang since I was about 17.

Geez Lyndon, I applaud your enthusiasm but a bicycle crash? really? Nothing quite like enjoying your European adventure walking with a limp. Take care, get better. It seems a shame you will have to use that ice on your knee instead of chilling a nice beverage.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Ouch! So it's an adventure holiday?  Makes cycling down Mont Blanc seem tame.  Seriously, so sorry to hear of your injuries.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

So sorry to hear of your bike accident, the first since you were 17.  I remember from my Life Insurance days, the danger time for accidents is close to "home".  Glad the nurse at the pharmacy took good care of you.  I knew someone who had a bike accident on the first day of a proposed family cycle tour along the Danube. Hope you get better quickly.  

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Sorry to hear about your crash Lyndon. Hope you are not too sore and quickly recover. 

For those who wanted updates, the last of the injured Police officers involved in the shoot out earlier in the summer was released from Hospital today. Seventy one days after the event.

On another note, the suspect in the Saskatchewan stabbings was apprehended today. It has been a good day for law enforcement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

For those who wanted updates, the last of the injured Police officers involved in the shoot out earlier in the summer was released from Hospital today. Seventy one days after the event.

On another note, the suspect in the Saskatchewan stabbings was apprehended today. It has been a good day for law enforcement.

The reports we are getting is that the suspect was involved in a police chase - the police car rammed his car and he was found dead in his car from "self inflicted injuries" - go figure.

27 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

The reports we are getting is that the suspect was involved in a police chase - the police car rammed his car and he was found dead in his car from "self inflicted injuries" - go figure.

In a way, I am glad he is dead as he won't  drag the victim's families through a long trial.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

And save the tax payers paying for his incarceration.

And if convicted, he is 18, so off to the Big House, no Juvie holiday camp.

He will be popular in the Big House, not.!,👮‍♂️

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And if convicted, he is 18, so off to the Big House, no Juvie holiday camp.

He will be popular in the Big House, not.!,👮‍♂️

An 18 year old who kills five friends with a four wheeled lethal weapon will get how long?

45 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

An 18 year old who kills five friends with a four wheeled lethal weapon will get how long?

Cannot pre empt as it is sub judice, but if I were the 👨‍⚖️ judge 10 years,that is the max for Dangerous Driving Cause Death. Section 52A of the Crimes Act.  Weak. Many walk out with half that. Had a few cases like that. Frustrating.

Hope your holiday is going well mate..Viva Le 🇫🇷 Francais !

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Going well thanks Les. Still stiff and sore from bike prang.

We are leaving our friends house today as they are returning to Oz. We will be taking a train to Bordeaux this arvo where we will spend three nights before flying to Barcelona to commence our tour.

Have a great cruise, mate.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 3

OK, another stuff up by Qantas, bear with me...last weekend my grand daughter the vet and her boyfriend, also a vet were down here from Townsville for a family birthday celebration.  OK, last Sunday I drive them both to Canberra Airport, she flies back to Townsvegas, he flies to Melbourne, sees his parents for the day. That evening he goes to Melbourne Airport  checks his load of baggage in which was camping gear and personal gear and boards a Qantas aircraft to fly to LAX and then was going onto Montana for a hunting/camping trip.  

Here is the best part or is it the worst part? ..he gets to LAX, Whaaaat! no baggage !  Enquiries at the Qantas counter reveal his baggage is at Brisbane Airport, the QANTAS dolts took his baggage to Brisbane not LAX !  Qantas told him it would take 3 days to get his baggage to LAX. So he is stuck in a motel in LA, his camping/hunting trip cut short.  And who is going to pay for the motel etc, Qantas ?  Travel Insurance? What is going on with the national carrier?

The boyfriend works on the livestock carriers as the Vet and has to be in NZ on 24 Sept to board a livestock carrier to China.  He is not a happy camper.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OK, another stuff up by Qantas, bear with me...last weekend my grand daughter the vet and her boyfriend, also a vet were down here from Townsville for a family birthday celebration.  OK, last Sunday I drive them both to Canberra Airport, she flies back to Townsvegas, he flies to Melbourne, sees his parents for the day. That evening he goes to Melbourne Airport  checks his load of baggage in which was camping gear and personal gear and boards a Qantas aircraft to fly to LAX and then was going onto Montana for a hunting/camping trip.  

Here is the best part or is it the worst part? ..he gets to LAX, Whaaaat! no baggage !  Enquiries at the Qantas counter reveal his baggage is at Brisbane Airport, the QANTAS dolts took his baggage to Brisbane not LAX !  Qantas told him it would take 3 days to get his baggage to LAX. So he is stuck in a motel in LA, his camping/hunting trip cut short.  And who is going to pay for the motel etc, Qantas ?  Travel Insurance? What is going on with the national carrier?

The boyfriend works on the livestock carriers as the Vet and has to be in NZ on 24 Sept to board a livestock carrier to China.  He is not a happy camper.

Not a happy camper indeed.

Must be one of those managers they are using to assist baggage handlers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That's terrible, Les.  Poor boy, and what a mess.  I'm almost convinced our luggage won't travel with us to London next Tuesday.  Qantas has changed our domestic leg (Syd-Melb) three (yep, three) times in the last two weeks.  At least the baggage handlers strike scheduled for twenty-four hours from next Monday has been called off, so that's one obstacle to smooth transport removed.  We have airtags, and have printed forwarding instructions inside our suitcases, but I'm still worried we'll be boarding "Sirena" in Portsmouth on 17 September sans luggage.  

Anyway, best wishes for a wonderful cruise next week.  You have great company, and you know Princess well, so you should feel very much at home.  See you in Batehaven sometime after mid-November.

Linda

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Goodness, I think I will be taking carry on for our europe trip.

Four Corners on TV had a doco about airport baggage gone wrong. You could pick it up on IView  was on earlier this week from memory. 

• Like 1

I've been absent for a few days. I killed my computer (dropped it on a stone floor so now it has power but no screen imaging, nothing, nada, zilch) and now borrowed my BF's. Was going to post a little of our experience in Bordeaux but BF has priority. Tomorrow morning we leave Bordeaux for Barcelona.

Barcelona is a wonderful place for a visit. Yesterday we saw Viking Forseti, Scenic Diamond and Uniworld Bon Voyage tied up. Visited Le Bissons de Lumierres music light show in the old WW2 submarine base.

Almost no one is wearing masks, perhaps 1/100. Lots of cafes and restaurants of varying sizes. We are staying at Best Western Superior which is directly across the street, about 5 metres away from a tiny Thai restaurant. Have to watch out for a miriad of bicycles and electric scooters - mostly rentals. Not eating much at the moment due to our friends' hospitality.

Will try and update as time and computer availability permits.

Thanks for the update Lyndon, I know the pain of dropping stuff on hard surfaces. For me it was my camera on the concrete floor of what's known as the McCrae bunker, a small aid station in Flanders near where McCrae wrote "In Flanders Fields". The camera never worked properly again. 😟

I hope you are healing well from your bicycle mishap. 

Take care and be safe while you continue to enjoy your adventure.

Cheers, Lyle

Edited by Blackduck59

're checked luggage on QF (And probably many others as well):

It's now a good idea to split luggage between you and your travel buddy.

Half of each other's stuff in each other's suitcase. At least one bag should make it.

Checking in together isn't a guarantee....