Now for something completely different

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It's close to two weeks now since we arrived in South of France. We are not touring but instead enjoying the life style of this unique, to us, area. The weather has been fine, warm to hot but since we arrived we have felt things are starting to cool off.

We are in a rural area and our friends house, where we are staying, was once part of a tobacco farm. It started as a two room house and has grown and also merged with a tobacco "hanger" (a barn like structure used for drying tobacco leaf). Since our friends bought it 20+ years ago they have added to it and it is now a substantial three three level building with seven bedrooms and three bathrooms, a pool, gardens and has a huge carport which would cover my house back home. It was once a "hanger" but now has only three walls and a small workshop. It is built mostly of oak.

Since arriving we have not eaten any meals indoors. We have breakfast and lunch in a small, covered, courtyard and dinners on an outside terrace, usually between 8 and 9pm when it is still light. Very relaxed and laid back.

We have had some dinners at outdoor community events. Usually in a community space where there are food concessions and we et at trestle table and on long forms for seating. There is also music entertainment included. Last night at one venue, a picturesque spot by the Garonne canal, we were entertained by a fabulous duet - Miss A and the Country Man- playing country rock and blues.

IMG_20220823_084045184_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220823_084002325.jpg

IMG_20220823_155934542_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220831_204647146.jpg

IMG_20220902_212258740_BURST001.jpg

Immersing yourselves in the locale as you are is the loveliest way of experiencing the culture.  Thanks for the evocative description of your wonderful holiday,  and for posting the great photos.  Continue enjoying your stay.

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Enjoy the rest of your stay, Lyle.  Where is Nipawin?

Nipawin is in Central Saskatchewan. It is famous for fishing but we are enjoying a relaxing time with our Nephew and family. Our niece is a wonderful cook they have a small flock of laying hens and a garden. So fresh eggs and veggies straight out of the ground. I have been guest chef a couple of times. I did BBQ salmon with veggie roasted in foil. Last night I did pan fried (in butter) walleye. Which is a local fresh water fish. The youngest of our great nephews is having his 7th birthday today but the party is tomorrow and we fly home on Monday. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It's close to two weeks now since we arrived in South of France. We are not touring but instead enjoying the life style of this unique, to us, area. The weather has been fine, warm to hot but since we arrived we have felt things are starting to cool off.

We are in a rural area and our friends house, where we are staying, was once part of a tobacco farm. It started as a two room house and has grown and also merged with a tobacco "hanger" (a barn like structure used for drying tobacco leaf). Since our friends bought it 20+ years ago they have added to it and it is now a substantial three three level building with seven bedrooms and three bathrooms, a pool, gardens and has a huge carport which would cover my house back home. It was once a "hanger" but now has only three walls and a small workshop. It is built mostly of oak.

Since arriving we have not eaten any meals indoors. We have breakfast and lunch in a small, covered, courtyard and dinners on an outside terrace, usually between 8 and 9pm when it is still light. Very relaxed and laid back.

We have had some dinners at outdoor community events. Usually in a community space where there are food concessions and we et at trestle table and on long forms for seating. There is also music entertainment included. Last night at one venue, a picturesque spot by the Garonne canal, we were entertained by a fabulous duet - Miss A and the Country Man- playing country rock and blues.

Sounds and looks like a wonderful place for a holiday.

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Nipawin is in Central Saskatchewan. It is famous for fishing but we are enjoying a relaxing time with our Nephew and family. Our niece is a wonderful cook they have a small flock of laying hens and a garden. So fresh eggs and veggies straight out of the ground. I have been guest chef a couple of times. I did BBQ salmon with veggie roasted in foil. Last night I did pan fried (in butter) walleye. Which is a local fresh water fish. The youngest of our great nephews is having his 7th birthday today but the party is tomorrow and we fly home on Monday. 

Sounds like you are enjoying a wonderful family time with your nephew's family.  Fresh eggs and veggies straight out of the garden must be a joy for a cook like you.  Happy Birthday from Australia to your great nephew.  Enjoy the birthday party. 

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

What a wonderful priceless experience you are having staying with friends in the South of France.

Reminds me of when our family stayed with a family in Meze in the South of France, where we swapped hospitality (meals and accommodation).  It was an incredible experience!  

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds sublime:  farm environment and fresh produce.  You must be a great cook to be nominated chef😋

• Thanks 1

Something different? I spent last Thursday replacing the ignition switch in our host's 1988 Ford Sierra 2.0i S. It had been at a local Ford dealership for about a year and they said it was the wrong part and gave up. When I checked the new  part against the old one I found a very slight difference and, making a simple 5 minute modification it was good to go. The owner was over the moon but really ticked off with Ford.

IMG_20220902_170354283.jpg

• Like 2

I am getting more confident with my limited high school French (which I failed) of 50+ years ago. I can go to the local shop each morning and buy bread, order coffee etc. Still having some trouble reading menus.

BTW, for those interested in country, folk and blues music, Miss A and the Country Man have a Face plant page. I don't do FB so I can't see it.

IMG_20220902_205202281.jpg

55 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I am getting more confident with my limited high school French (which I failed) of 50+ years ago. I can go to the local shop each morning and buy bread, order coffee etc. Still having some trouble reading menus.

BTW, for those interested in country, folk and blues music, Miss A and the Country Man have a Face plant page. I don't do FB so I can't see it.

IMG_20220902_205202281.jpg

That’s a delicious menu😋

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Probably not and we don't have to drink it. But we'll probably try it and have a laugh over it.

Critic rating on wine-searcher of 83%France - The Duc de Valmer Blanc de Blanc Brut is a nice white-gold color with fine and persistent foam. Fruity, delicate, with some vinous nuances. A very good balance between vinosity and roundness. Good finish. A very pleasant wine. Pairs beautifully with devon & tomato sauce sandwiches. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3