Now for something completely different

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

West coast is pretty much a dead place, not very attractive and boring. Unless you are a fan of nature and stuff it will appeal to you. In all other cases, I wouldnt really waste my time going there.. well, at least for like a day maybe just to see how things are going on there 

I'm going to hazarad a guess nature isn't your thing😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger88 said:

West coast is pretty much a dead place, not very attractive and boring. Unless you are a fan of nature and stuff it will appeal to you. In all other cases, I wouldnt really waste my time going there.. well, at least for like a day maybe just to see how things are going on there 

I'm not sure why you decided to put your 1/2 cent in this conversation. Do you even know where we are talking about? By the way unless you have a private pilot's licence and can fly in, it takes 6 hours to get from Victoria to Tofino, not the sort of drive you do just to turn around and go home.

I didn't recall asking anyone if they would "waste their time" to go there, just helping an interested person know more about the Island where I live. Have a nice day and please in future know the subject.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Yes I remember Vancouver Island is an extremely scenic place, have lots of photos taken from the road up to Campbell  river. It was really odd to come across an actual yellow submarine, I think it was anchored off Naniamo?.

Later on we carried out a torpedo firing at Comox range.

There were lots of Cougars at a Victorian establishment known as the Hug and Slugg.

Yes the yellow submarine is long gone. It was at Nanoose Bay, I really don't know much about that and if I did probably couldn't talk about it. There is a torpedo range off of Nanaimo, I wasn't aware of one around Comox.

I can't recall which establishment was known as the Hug and Slugg, it wasn't one of the quality beverage emporiums that I frequented in my youth. Do you recall where it was?🤔

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes the yellow submarine is long gone. It was at Nanoose Bay, I really don't know much about that and if I did probably couldn't talk about it. There is a torpedo range off of Nanaimo, I wasn't aware of one around Comox.

I can't recall which establishment was known as the Hug and Slugg, it wasn't one of the quality beverage emporiums that I frequented in my youth. Do you recall where it was?🤔

Like the 60s, if you can remember the details you weren't there. But it may have been called the army navy club. 

We spent a fair bit of time in company with the Canadian tanker Provider, whilst refuelling one night in very rough seas 2 of our blokes were washed off the foredeck,  all that could be seen was a string of coloured distance lights sweeping along between the ships.  Such was the integrity of our emergency procedures they had both been rescued before we knew who exactly were missing.

Both were cheekily charged with improperly leaving the ship and awarded an extra tot.

20 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Like the 60s, if you can remember the details you weren't there. But it may have been called the army navy club. 

We spent a fair bit of time in company with the Canadian tanker Provider, whilst refuelling one night in very rough seas 2 of our blokes were washed off the foredeck,  all that could be seen was a string of coloured distance lights sweeping along between the ships.  Such was the integrity of our emergency procedures they had both been rescued before we knew who exactly were missing.

Both were cheekily charged with improperly leaving the ship and awarded an extra tot.

Ah yes the Army & Navy, as I recall that was downtown. I think I went in there after a Remembrance Day Ceremony once (once was enough) My best friend did the RIMPAC deployment as a Sea Cadet in HMCS Provider in 1977. He had some interesting yarns from that trip. 

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ah yes the Army & Navy, as I recall that was downtown. I think I went in there after a Remembrance Day Ceremony once (once was enough) My best friend did the RIMPAC deployment as a Sea Cadet in HMCS Provider in 1977. He had some interesting yarns from that trip. 

Was your friend one of the blokes mooning from the helicopter at the farewell flypast.

We gave a 100 roll toilet paper salute from our mortar.

He never did mention getting a ride in a chopper, I'm not sure if she had any aboard for that trip. I do know that they took on 24,000 Dozen Beers before they left Esquimalt (to supply the whole Canadian fleet) apparently they ran out between Australia and Hawaii. They had taken aboard more beer in Oz it was Courage brand. The joke was it took a lot of courage to drink it. 

I got a can of that beer at some point, I did a tour of HMS Blake and they were selling nice pewter mugs with the ship's badge engraved on them (they came with a can of courage beer. I tried it, it was okay. I still have that mug.

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well there are cougars and then there are Cougars. Some are more dangerous than others😎

Beware, Cougars have been seen wandering at large on cruise ships, on the prowl for a mate.🤣

istockphoto-149154299-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

He never did mention getting a ride in a chopper, I'm not sure if she had any aboard for that trip. I do know that they took on 24,000 Dozen Beers before they left Esquimalt (to supply the whole Canadian fleet) apparently they ran out between Australia and Hawaii. They had taken aboard more beer in Oz it was Courage brand. The joke was it took a lot of courage to drink it. 

I got a can of that beer at some point, I did a tour of HMS Blake and they were selling nice pewter mugs with the ship's badge engraved on them (they came with a can of courage beer. I tried it, it was okay. I still have that mug.

Ah ye olde Courage beer, Lyle. Courage was an English brand, still going, launched in Australia in 1968 and later taken over by Tooths, an Australian Brewery. I drank a bit of it and from memory it was pretty ordinary. Off market now. Just to jog your memory re the 24,000 cans of Courage taken on board for the Canadian Navy.

courage_draught.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Actually Les HMCS Provider took on 24,000 Dozen bottles of Canadian beer (Labatt Blue) before leaving Home base here in Esquimalt; as the supply ship she replenished the supplies on the other Canadian Ships (all the beer was bought with non public funds) Then while they were in Australia they took on more beer to tide them over for the transit back via Hawaii and San Diego. Anything had to be better than American beer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Actually Les HMCS Provider took on 24,000 Dozen bottles of Canadian beer (Labatt Blue) before leaving Home base here in Esquimalt; as the supply ship she replenished the supplies on the other Canadian Ships (all the beer was bought with non public funds) Then while they were in Australia they took on more beer to tide them over for the transit back via Hawaii and San Diego. Anything had to be better than American beer.

I don't mind a Budweiser Lyle, has a rice ingredient, which is easy on my Coeliac gut.  Likewise some of the Asian beers. Or even a Corona which has a corn ingredient.  Still a little Malt Barley in those beers, but generally not Wheat which contains the gluten.  Everything in moderation. 

Your navy should have taken on Tooheys New or Kids Beer, slang for Tooths KB aka Cold Gold because it was in a gold can.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

45 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I don't mind a Budweiser Lyle, has a rice ingredient, which is easy on my Coeliac gut.  Likewise some of the Asian beers. Or even a Corona which has a corn ingredient.  Still a little Malt Barley in those beers, but generally not Wheat which contains the gluten.  Everything in moderation. 

Your navy should have taken on Tooheys New or Kids Beer, slang for Tooths KB aka Cold Gold because it was in a gold can.

download.jpg

A beer tastes best when you’ve earned it.

0419B995-86EC-4EE7-93FC-571FF863D498.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

A beer tastes best when you’ve earned it.

0419B995-86EC-4EE7-93FC-571FF863D498.jpeg

How cool is that? Ship's label. I don't know if any of our ships have done that but I'm sure any ship could arrange it with any number of our local breweries.

For our Navy's 75th Anniversary Labatt made "Labatt's Navy Blue"

348137568_navyblue.thumb.jpg.df315d758edd22f9e9b7c0cdd5f85c11.jpg

Yes that can is full.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

How cool is that? Ship's label. I don't know if any of our ships have done that but I'm sure any ship could arrange it with any number of our local breweries.

For our Navy's 75th Anniversary Labatt made "Labatt's Navy Blue"

348137568_navyblue.thumb.jpg.df315d758edd22f9e9b7c0cdd5f85c11.jpg

Yes that can is full.

A really smart can, another collectors item, like the NZ Navy bottles.  Bit stale though Lyle, don't drink it.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Another collectors item, like the NZ Navy bottles.  Bit stale though Lyle, don't drink it.

I check the can from time to time to see if it is bloated or showing any signs of corrosion. I never intended to drink it, I drank the other 11 from that dozen and probably a few dozen more through the course of 1985. I didn't get any of the Seadog beer from the centennial. I did get the commemorative Rum decanter though. They were shipped without the rum so that has never had rum in it.

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I check the can from time to time to see if it is bloated or showing any signs of corrosion. I never intended to drink it, I drank the other 11 from that dozen and probably a few dozen more through the course of 1985. I didn't get any of the Seadog beer from the centennial. I did get the commemorative Rum decanter though. They were shipped without the rum so that has never had rum in it.

When you get to OZ Lyle, you should try one of these, been around for decades, Crown Lager, aka 'Crownie'  Australia's Premium Lager, well that was how it was marketed. A decent drop of amber fluid in a smart bottle.th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When you get to OZ Lyle, you should try one of these, been around for decades, Crown Lager, aka 'Crownie'  Australia's Premium Lager, well that was how it was marketed. A decent drop of amber fluid in a smart bottle.th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpg

A guy I worked with for many years used to dream of the day he could drink Crownies as his regular beer. He thought for a beer drinker, that Crownies was the height of opulence. Then one day he discovered James Boag Premium Lager and his life was changed forever 🙂

Anyway, my sons arrived for our BBQ lunch on Fathers Day, each bringing a carton of Crownies for their old Dad. Brought them up well I would suggest.

Lyle will need several months to recover form his visit down here with all the drinking & eating we are suggesting for him 😮

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mr walker said:

A guy I worked with for many years used to dream of the day he could drink Crownies as his regular beer. He thought for a beer drinker, that Crownies was the height of opulence. Then one day he discovered James Boag Premium Lager and his life was changed forever 🙂

Anyway, my sons arrived for our BBQ lunch on Fathers Day, each bringing a carton of Crownies for their old Dad. Brought them up well I would suggest.

Lyle will need several months to recover form his visit down here with all the drinking & eating we are suggesting for him 😮

A good description of the Crownie status. In my younger days of paying mortgages, school fees etc, my present to myself at Christmas was a case of Crownies, beautiful. At other times of the year it was Tooheys New Throwdowns, (250ml) case a fortnight then I started home brewing, that was my downfall, too much grog to be consumed.  You done well then on Fathers Day your sons bringing you Crownies. My generous son brought me a bottle of Tassie Whisky from Launceston, 46% proof, rocket fuel, but nice.

Apera_r-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

A good description of the Crownie status. In my younger days of paying mortgages, school fees etc, my present to myself at Christmas was a case of Crownies, beautiful. At other times of the year it was Tooheys New Throwdowns, (250ml) case a fortnight then I started home brewing, that was my downfall, too much grog to be consumed.  You done well then on Fathers Day your sons bringing you Crownies. My generous son brought me a bottle of Tassie Whisky from Launceston, 46% proof, rocket fuel, but nice.

Apera_r-1024x1024.jpg

Are Victorians the only ones to call a case/carton of beer a slab?

Leigh

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

And we had this beer produced by a local brewery around the time of our Navy's centennial, it has been discontinued after the brewery sold.

186759993_seadog.jpg.edbe087c68c33e71b5b776aca1f275a7.jpg

So sad to hear that.. I heard of this brand for a long time and really wanted to try it at least once. All those little breweries are getting instinct these days and it makes me very and very sad. I really hope to find a bottle or two at some bar some day.. Just to try it at least once in a life time 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Are Victorians the only ones to call a case/carton of beer a slab?

Leigh

Not at all, nsw call them slabs as well. I wish VB had never crossed the border, awful stuff, too bitter in the aftertaste. Carlton Draught is good, Crown Lager even better.

Edited by NSWP