Now for something completely different

42 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

So sad to hear that.. I heard of this brand for a long time and really wanted to try it at least once. All those little breweries are getting instinct these days and it makes me very and very sad. I really hope to find a bottle or two at some bar some day.. Just to try it at least once in a life time 

Ye olde sea dog looks a good brew.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not at all, nsw call them slabs as well.

Thanks Les, I noticed you called them a case and Mr Walker a carton.

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

It was a carton in WA.

Things May have changed with people drifting west.

Thanks Adrian.

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Les, I noticed you called them a case and Mr Walker a carton.

Thanks Adrian.

Case, yes, because I mainly drink wine these days, so I go see Uncle Dan Murphy and get a case of wine. But for beer, slab, case, carton is fine in nsw.

Edited by NSWP

So for some reason we did healthy evening meal tonight.

salad.thumb.jpg.81957a2a3b4ce60e6bef9040f23b078e.jpg

There was bold talk about a cheese plate after but we of course ate too much lettuce stuff. 

We picked up a few different cheeses while we were up island last week, some right at the cheesery, I think I will do a cheese board tomorrow for desert maybe see if I can find a nice wine to go with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So for some reason we did healthy evening meal tonight.

salad.thumb.jpg.81957a2a3b4ce60e6bef9040f23b078e.jpg

There was bold talk about a cheese plate after but we of course ate too much lettuce stuff. 

We picked up a few different cheeses while we were up island last week, some right at the cheesery, I think I will do a cheese board tomorrow for desert maybe see if I can find a nice wine to go with it.

Wow, how good is that arrangement, looks very healthy, did you have some dressing with it, i.e. thousand island or a  mayo.? 

After seeing that presentation, it has inspired me..Think I might knock up a smoked salmon and prawn salad for dinner, with a drizzle of Kraft Thousand Island dressing, Hardys Stamp Semillion Sauvignon Blanc to accompany, got those provisions in the refrigerator. No olives for me though, hate them, though the purple things could be grapes.

You should have been a caterer Lyle, not a cabinet maker.

Edited by NSWP

When I was in high school I got A grades in foods and woodworking. My first job when I got out of high school was at a fine dining restaurant called "The Princess Mary" the main dining room was the top deck of the Princess Mary coastal steamer. I learned a lot at that restaurant in the 6 monthes I worked there. The biggest thing I learned was that cabinet makers get paid way more than cooks. Cooking is a pleasant hobby for me. Cabinet making is work, perhaps after I retire they will both be pleasant hobbies. By the way Les, no olives on that plate they're grapes. We used Hidden Valley "Ranch" dressing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Halibut and chips, for us on the wet coast of Canada Halibut is the premium fish for fish and chips.

This is what it looks like inside

1340407542_fishycut.thumb.jpg.241cc16a6a1669e3ed751202ddf8cb73.jpg

Looks good Lyle! Was the ketchup for the chips or the halibut? I have been cooking fish at least once a week but am so looking forward to our local fish and chip shop to open. For some reason they decided to not open during our lockdown even though they were allowed to. We do miss a feed from there!

Leigh

On the subject of hearing aids, I got my new ones August 31st. They were a little over the top and some things were quite irritating. They were extremely prone to feed back and some tones were over boosted and intrusive. I had my follow up on the September 9th and had them adjusted, they are much better now. I have another follow up in a couple weeks.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Looks good Lyle! Was the ketchup for the chips or the halibut? I have been cooking fish at least once a week but am so looking forward to our local fish and chip shop to open. For some reason they decided to not open during our lockdown even though they were allowed to. We do miss a feed from there!

Leigh

Ketchup for the chips Leigh, the tartar sauce for the fish is on the other side by the coleslaw🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Halibut and chips, for us on the wet coast of Canada Halibut is the premium fish for fish and chips.

This is what it looks like inside

I think halibut is the same fish that we call flounder. I'm sure a keen fisherman can correct me if I'm wrong.

Leigh

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ketchup for the chips Leigh, the tartar sauce for the fish is on the other side by the coleslaw🙂

Sorry I missed the tartare sauce Lyle. I do know people who have tom sauce on their fish. 😀 Coleslaw goes very well with fish and chips. 

Leigh

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think halibut is the same fish that we call flounder. I'm sure a keen fisherman can correct me if I'm wrong.

Leigh

We have flounder too they are quite a bit smaller. Here is an example of a Halibut, this one is particularly large

Halibut.jpg.f56a56fc98dc383df69b25eefd2f087d.jpg

this is a file picture I found on the web

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry I missed the tartare sauce Lyle. I do know people who have tom sauce on their fish. 😀 Coleslaw goes very well with fish and chips. 

Leigh

Coleslaw is the standard side with fish and chips here. If you order a fish and chips dinner here it will almost always come with coleslaw and some chippys really take pride in their coleslaw.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have flounder too they are quite a bit smaller. Here is an example of a Halibut, this one is particularly large

Halibut.jpg.f56a56fc98dc383df69b25eefd2f087d.jpg

this is a file picture I found on the web

It is a type of flounder though but a different species to the smaller ones.

That's huge!

Flounder here is usually served whole, pan fried or grilled.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's huge!

Yes like the regular flounder Halibut start life swimming vertically with one eye on each side and as they mature they rotate and swim horizontally and the eye migrates across the top of the head, you can see the offset eyes in the picture. Our flounder are a little bigger than pan size, they would have to be filleted. That picture show a large but not unheard of example, an average Halibut is 30 to 50 pounds. I you catch a lunker larger than that you have to be careful with it, they are capable of injuring you or even sinking your boat.

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I must admit Lyle's fish and chips look very good.... we are lucky our local fish and chip shop has stay open during stage 4... generally get blue grenadier.... only problem is it over hangs the plate ...lol.... and best of all give the cook (me) a night off.....

Mainly just add pepper and lemon to fish and pepper and salt to chips served with garden salad and a bottle of reisling .... with a candle.....

Can't wait till tueday.... fish and chip night 

Cheers Don

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's huge!

I remember the first whole flounder I ever had was at a restaurant in Katoomba in 1976. Best fish I had ever eaten.

Leigh

I don't see flounder very often in Sydney but one local fish restaurant has lemon sole, imported from NZ, which is delicious. Served whole with light spicing on the skin. I used to love it when I was a child living in Dunedin but flounder was more common in Wellington. Of course in those days they were caught by small local fishing boats and sold fresh, or even by a mate and dropped in to the house. Now it's big fishing companies and the fish is snap frozen as soon as it's caught, which is why I can get NZ lemon sole in Sydney.

For fish and chips I prefer flathead.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I must admit Lyle's fish and chips look very good.... we are lucky our local fish and chip shop has stay open during stage 4... generally get blue grenadier.... only problem is it over hangs the plate ...lol.... and best of all give the cook (me) a night off.....

Mainly just add pepper and lemon to fish and pepper and salt to chips served with garden salad and a bottle of reisling .... with a candle.....

Can't wait till tueday.... fish and chip night 

Cheers Don

I used to always buy blue grenadier to cook to cook at home because it has a fairly mild taste and my children would eat it. They now prefer flake.  I tend to buy flathead tails even though they are quite expensive - $59 a kilo locally. But we only need a few tails for the two of us and with chips and salad/coleslaw it is quite sufficient.

Leigh