Check Your Refund Status-I'm Glad I Did

MsTabbyKats

I had an Oct Meraviglia cruise booked.  Final payment was due in July.  Due to scheduling changes etc....I asked the TA to cancel on 3/16, well before final payment.  He sent me an e-mail saying it was canceled and would take up 21 business days to see the refund.  I know how things are going now....so I waited.  It didn't come.  Instead of calling the TA I called MSC directly.  It took less than a minute to connect.  The actual call took 40 minutes.  It seems that the request for a refund (the cruise showed as canceled since 3/16 on the website) was not processed properly.  I don't know if it was a TA thing or an MSC thing.

The rep was nice and patient.  I didn't even think she'd service me since this was booked by a TA.  But, it got done and I have a reference number, so if I need to call again it should take 40 minutes!

Suggestion....give them a call if you're in my situation (cancel before final payment) 

On 4/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

I had an Oct Meraviglia cruise booked.  Final payment was due in July.  Due to scheduling changes etc....I asked the TA to cancel on 3/16, well before final payment.  He sent me an e-mail saying it was canceled and would take up 21 business days to see the refund.  I know how things are going now....so I waited.  It didn't come.  Instead of calling the TA I called MSC directly.  It took less than a minute to connect.  The actual call took 40 minutes.  It seems that the request for a refund (the cruise showed as canceled since 3/16 on the website) was not processed properly.  I don't know if it was a TA thing or an MSC thing.

The rep was nice and patient.  I didn't even think she'd service me since this was booked by a TA.  But, it got done and I have a reference number, so if I need to call again it should take 40 minutes!

Suggestion....give them a call if you're in my situation (cancel before final payment) 

Hey Kats thanks for the info.  We cancelled our Sept MSC cruise through the TA which they did Apr 2 well before final, so waiting for the deposit refund which TA said would take 6-10 bus days, so we're just at 10 now.  I'm wondering what your MSC account showed online, did you check to see if your cruise showed cancelled by guest on the MSC site?

52 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

Hey Kats thanks for the info.  We cancelled our Sept MSC cruise through the TA which they did Apr 2 well before final, so waiting for the deposit refund which TA said would take 6-10 bus days, so we're just at 10 now.  I'm wondering what your MSC account showed online, did you check to see if your cruise showed cancelled by guest on the MSC site?

Yes...it showed as canceled.  But, when I spoke to the rep she said that it was canceled, but "the paperwork" for the refund wasn't submitted at the time.  Seems it's a 2 step process.   Again...not sure "who" messed up...but it was messed up.

I'll report back when/if I get the refund.

I cancelled our October cruise out of Barcelona (had a side to side planned - 7 nights Grandiosa and then hop on Carnival Legend for TA - Legend cancelled - just had one-way flights booked - anyway cancelled everything) about a week ago and called to make certain it was done properly, was told all okay, could take 30 days, so patiently waiting. Have cancelled before final payment in the past and it was always just a couple days to see refund on credit card.  

Got thru to MSC today and they did get the cancellation from our TA, and said the refund for the deposit would come in 90 days.  Guess we won't hold our breath waiting.  Wouldn't it be great if we could do the same thing ... make final payment but set it up so the money won't go to the cruise line for a couple months.

Edited by Bob7

On 4/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes...it showed as canceled.  But, when I spoke to the rep she said that it was canceled, but "the paperwork" for the refund wasn't submitted at the time.  Seems it's a 2 step process.   Again...not sure "who" messed up...but it was messed up.

I'll report back when/if I get the refund.

I cancelled our on March 13 and when I called them back on April 1st  because I had not received the refund, I was told the same story they told you, that it was a 2 step process and was missing the 2nd step. Guess what? I am still waiting on the refund.

My friend who was sailing on a different cabin and canceled 2 days later was told that sorry, but the refund might take upto 60 days.  I am patiently waiting for 5/13 to give them another call if I still have not received my refund.

Anyone who cancelled after March 13 and received the refund yet?

I requested a refund (on a cancelled cruise scheduled to leave on 3/22) on 3/15 and received a message that said the refund would be processed but could take up to 60 days.  I am on day 37 but want the refund credited to my CC since my current bill is due and I would rather not pay if I don't have to.

I called MSC today, spoke to someone who said they needed to transfer me to a "back room" person.  She transferred me and I sat on hold for 45 minutes and was disconnected.

Not too happy.  My shore excursions were refunding in 2 days when cancelled so obviously they can do it quicker than 60 days.

Credit card dispute is next step.  I am not 100% confident that the refund is coming.  

Has anyone else received a refund yet on a cruise cancelled by MSC?

I cancelled 3 bookings on March 15th for a July cruise.  Haven't seen anything yet.  When I cancelled, they were easy to reach and helpful but it took multiple calls to them, i was told 7-10 days.  I called back today and was told 60 days.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, Rob-Bob said:

I requested a refund (on a cancelled cruise scheduled to leave on 3/22) on 3/15 and received a message that said the refund would be processed but could take up to 60 days.  I am on day 37 but want the refund credited to my CC since my current bill is due and I would rather not pay if I don't have to.

I called MSC today, spoke to someone who said they needed to transfer me to a "back room" person.  She transferred me and I sat on hold for 45 minutes and was disconnected.

Not too happy.  My shore excursions were refunding in 2 days when cancelled so obviously they can do it quicker than 60 days.

Credit card dispute is next step.  I am not 100% confident that the refund is coming.  

Has anyone else received a refund yet on a cruise cancelled by MSC?

Believe we were on same sailing.  No refund of prepaid items.  No word on FCC.  Not happy.

We were scheduled on the 3/22/20 Meraviglia sailing.  Of course this was cancelled by MSC through no fault of theirs.  I just can't believe it takes this long to issue refunds.  Obviously it is just to hold on to the cash as long as they can.  They will need to bite the bullet and just refund it.

No one likes what is going on.  Either they have the cash or they don't.  If they have it please send it back to where it belongs.

When we booked we gave them the money immediately.  When we booked an excursion we gave them the money immediately.  I booked a cruise 4 years ago on the brand new Seaside.  We gave MSC a deposit 15 months ahead of time.  I did that then and now I would like them to get our money back.

We are regular cruisers and I hope things get back to normal but the times are not normal and everyone needs to start doing what needs to be done which includes refunding money for something someone paid for that didn't happen. 

Sorry for rambling, just a little frustrated.

• Like 1

Our April 11th cruise was cancelled by MSC.  On March 14th, our TA submitted the refund request and I got a Cancellation # from MSC by e-mail.  It did say it would be up to 60 days before seeing the refund.  I e-mailed MSC (just hit reply to their e-mail) at the 30-day point asking for status.  They e-mailed back saying it may take up to 60 days from the sail date to process my refund, but they are working on it.  So, subtle change in wording from their first confirmation e-mail...60 days from my orig March 14th request date vs now 60 days from sail date, April 11th.  Holding my breath, fingers crossed, rabbit's foot in my pocket LOL

In my mind, I'm pondering that unlike the Big 3 cruise lines that have pretty  much no cash coming in right now, MSC is primarily a commercial shipping company (second largest in the world?) that happens to own a cruise line, i.e. they still have cash coming in from their cargo ships.  That helps me feel at least some comfort (real or imagined!) that they can follow through on the refunds...pretty please 🙂

Edited by psmarkle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, psmarkle said:

Our April 11th cruise was cancelled by MSC.  On March 14th, our TA submitted the refund request and I got a Cancellation # from MSC by e-mail.  It did say it would be up to 60 days before seeing the refund.

With a MSC cancelled cruise they won't even start the process until your sail date.  Check the website wording now...

We hope you choose to reschedule your cruise for a future date. However, we understand this may not be the ideal option for you. If you choose not to take the Future Cruise Credit, we will provide a refund equal to the original amount paid no earlier than 60 days from your original sail date.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cancelled-Cruises-Miami.aspx

So that would put you getting your money after June 10th.

• Like 1

I cancelled my June 2020 cruise well outside of my time to cancel and get a full refund.  I was told "up to 2 billing cycles".  I had prepaid in full one year before the cruise.  I called my TA on Monday, 7 weeks after cancelling, and they were told by MSC it would be 10 more days.  So that is one week from today.  We will see.  

I ended up filing a dispute with the cc company.....based on that I canceled well before final payment. 

If you're late with final payment you not only lose your deposit but your booking gets canceled.  MSC (and other cruiselines) shouldn't have it both ways.