Formal Nights on World Cruise

shofer

Hubby & I are seriously considering the World Cruise for next January from Fort Lauderdale.  We were discussing the logistics of packing for a 111 day trip when DH asked me how many formal nights would there be and how should he dress for them.   Haven't been on  Princess since 2013 to Alaska.

I did a search on the Forums and saw that the Formal dress topic is as debated as ever.   DH has rented tuxes in the past for longer cruises.  Our last cruise was on RCL for a 15 day TA and the most dressed up DH got was a long sleeved dress shirt, no tie which pleased him greatly.

Anyone been on a cruise like this and have any suggestions?

1 hour ago, shofer said:

Hubby & I are seriously considering the World Cruise for next January from Fort Lauderdale.  We were discussing the logistics of packing for a 111 day trip when DH asked me how many formal nights would there be and how should he dress for them.   Haven't been on  Princess since 2013 to Alaska.

I did a search on the Forums and saw that the Formal dress topic is as debated as ever.   DH has rented tuxes in the past for longer cruises.  Our last cruise was on RCL for a 15 day TA and the most dressed up DH got was a long sleeved dress shirt, no tie which pleased him greatly.

Anyone been on a cruise like this and have any suggestions?

A world cruise is divided into segments. Ecah segment will have a number of formal evenings.

7-13 day segment will have 2 formal evenings

14-20 day segment will have 3 formal evenings

21-28 day segment will have 4 formal evenings

29+ day segment will have 5 formal evenings

Princess no longer offers the opportunity to rent a formal outfit (the company they used went out of business).

And since you have been reading the debates, you can form your own opinion as to if a long-sleeve short is enough or if adding tie and/or jacket would be a better choice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caribill said:

And since you have been reading the debates, you can form your own opinion as to if a long-sleeve short is enough or if adding tie and/or jacket would be a better choice.

And wouldn't it be nice if that post ended the thread - it was complete, informational, and non-judgmental.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And wouldn't it be nice if that post ended the thread - it was complete, informational, and non-judgmental.

but, there was the little 'agenda' posting " 

7 hours ago, caribill said:

or if adding tie and/or jacket would be a better choice.

The concern is the logistics of packing?  You'll be at sea nearly 4 months, with several cruise segments and many formal nights.  He should be comfortable and at ease with what he wears at dinner over luggage space concerns.

On our WC segment, (on Princess) a higher percentage of men dressed formally, suit or tux, than I've seen on Caribbean or Mexico itineraries.  Also quite a few in sportcoat and tie. Going in January? Wear the jacket on the plane. The only really bulky luggage item then is dress shoes. 

• Like 2

Hello there. If I remember correctly, we had 14 formal nights on our world cruise. I used a couple of long dresses with different tops, jewelry, and jackets. DH wore long sleeves shirts with a suit coat, and several ties. As we went along, he got more and more informal. The jacket came off as soon as we came in, eventually he lost the ties... ;) You see all kinds of things. The ship will be bigger this year. In our experience, the bigger the ship, the more relaxed formal nights get.

Enjoy! We still talk about our trip!

• Like 1

One long time cruiser said her husband had long ago gone to wearing black shoes, black socks, black pants, black long-sleeved shirt, and white necktie. If one isn't going the route of wearing a suit that outfit actually looks quite nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1