Venise hotels

I am in the process of modifying my July reservations and need some help with hotel recommendations in Venise. We live in one of the hardest hit Covid areas in France and will exercise the same precautions in Venise as we do when we go to our local bank or supermarket. I’m hoping to experience Venise in the summer without the mass cruise population. Our inter-Schenghen borders should be opening on June 15.

My 3 choices are The Bauer Palazzo (Seabourn partner hotel), The Danieli (3 x the price of the Bauer) and the Gritti Palace (almost 6 x the Bauer). I’d like some insight as to why the huge price differences. If some of you have previously stayed at The Bauer Palazzo and had a fantastic experience that would make the decision very easy. 

I’m hoping this will take your mind’s off of current events to more pleasant memories.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may offer. The past 3 months have been exhausting and I am looking forward to better days.

We booked a small suite at the Bauer Palazzo a couple of years ago, for three nights after getting off Seabourn. We loved it. The service was great, the suite, overlooking the canal, was beautiful and our only issue was the bar which felt rather corridor like. I should add that the bar opens onto an outside terrace which was lovely but as we had some rain while staying there, we were unable to make much use of it. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Bauer for 4 nights after our cruise in 2018.  It is a wonderful hotel.  The location is perfect.  Just a few steps to St Mark's.  The view is spectacular. Breakfast at the restaurant terrace on the GC is wonderful.  The outside terrace is ideal for after dinner drinks.  We also had lunch there during the Historical Regatta. There is also a rooftop bar.  I know I am running out of superlatives so I will stop.  I see no reason to book elsewhere at several times the cost.  I am sure the Danieli and the Gritti provide similar facilities and service and they do have somewhat grander buildings, but 3 to 6 times the price?

We sailed Venice to Venice on a cruise in September 2019 and stayed one night at the Danieli and one night at the Gritti. I love luxury hotels and have stayed at many of the best (the Ritz in Paris, Adare Manor in Ireland, Grand Bretagne in Athens) and I was bowled over by both hotels. The decor is gorgeous and you know you are somewhere very special (no minimalism here); the staff is very gracious;  and the location of both hotels is excellent, with their own water taxi docks on the canal (no schlepping suitcases). My favorite was the Gritti, as it was in perfect condition and had doors onto the canal and St. Mark's Square. A splurge on either hotel is well worth it, and a free stay (we used Marriott points) is even better.  Don't miss dinner upstairs on the terrace at the Danieli and drinks or gelato on the canal at the Gritti.

8 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

My favorite was the Gritti, as it was in perfect condition and had doors onto the canal and St. Mark's Square. A splurge on either hotel is well worth it, and a free stay (we used Marriott points) is even better.  

Agree about the Gritti (we actually stayed for "free" - free annual night in Westin which was closed and they moved us to Gritti without additional cost).

However, Gritti is a good 5 -8 minute walk from St. Mark's Sq:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Gritti+Palace,+a+Luxury+Collection+Hotel,+Venice,+Campo+Santa+Maria+del+Giglio,+30124+Venezia+VE,+Italy/St.+Mark's+Square,+Venice,+Metropolitan+City+of+Venice,+Italy/@45.4330721,12.334647,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x477eb1d10fb59331:0x55a645b73d14a01e!2m2!1d12.3333209!2d45.4317892!1m5!1m1!1s0x477eb1d77a81271d:0x36aff9788aefe39!2m2!1d12.3384713!2d45.4341668!3e2

Unless you shell out for a suite with a guaranteed canal view, most hotels (such as the Gritti) will give you a shoebox for a room.  Better in my view to escape the rip-off of the major US chains to a place like Ca'Sagredo with a front-facing suite.  However, among the chain hotels the St Regis might currently be the best bet since it's undergone a total refurb.  The Danieli is basically for big tour groups.  For those with serious money, the best hotel in the city is probably the Aman Venice but even there you need to book a top level suite to get the full benefit of the setting.

Edited by Fletcher

I have to say that I agree with Fletcher in that it depends on the room/suite you pay for. We were booked through an agency for a couple of nights at the Bauer prior to our Seabourn cruise.  When we opened the curtains, the only view was of the opposite rooms the other side of an inner courtyard. At the time I had a mobility problem and didn't find it easy getting in to the bath to access the shower. However that was a good few years ago. It was our first Seabourn cruise on one of the little ships.

We cannot help re the original question of comparing hotels, however for an impressive alternative:- ahh Venezia, bellisimo.

On our visits to Venice we have stayed at Palazzo Abadessa in Canareggio. The building formerly housed the Hungarian Embassy . A small elegant Hotel which has a Canal front with a pier for the Water Taxi and a lovely garden at it's rear to take tea, coffee or breakfast . A big plus is it's quiet location , yet close to the action. Palazzo Abadessa is in walkable distance to popular sites. There is an abundance of restaurants close by to tickle your taste buds. Concierge staff are magnificentand truly make your stay most enjoyable.

Edited by koalapanda
.sp

I must say that the Gritti is special, one of the finest hotels in the world. It is not normally 3 times the price of the Danieli. I have also stayed at The Londre Palace and I must say what a delight that was as it was small and personal. The position is fabulous and the hotel has a lovely feel, I would certainly stay here again without question.

May I second what has already been said, don't kid yourself about thinking you will be happy in a standard room, I have been to Venice numerous times and in quite a few of the above mentioned hotels and they all pull the same stroke. You arrive, all will be perfect........they take you to your room.........they open the door and you see a charming little broom cupboard overlooking the bins...........they show great empathy as they recognise your disappointment...........they explain in a charming way that this is a "standard" room...............you will then be told that luckily tonight they have some availability and can do you an upgrade for a very special price as you seem unhappy....... remarkably you will then be shown a delightful room that ..........can you believe it Vivaldi just happened to reside in while he wrote the Four Seasons! This is a standard routine at all the hotels, that Vivaldi got around a bit. I must say I do find their patter delightful, I think the word they use is Sympatico.

Have a great time it is a world class destination, not to be ruined by staying in a broom cupboard!

The Gritti is stunning, the refurb was done beautifully. I also found the Concierge service was so friendly and attentive....a great team on the desk. I think you know what I am saying about the "broom cupboard"