Port Reopenings After Vaccine?

Daniel A

6 hours ago, pcur said:

Here's our plan (and hope):

We get vaccines sometime after the first of 2021.  We sail in April 2021 WITH masks.  We will assume not everyone has a vaccine.  

Our hope is Princess will have the social distancing thing in place by April 2021.  We'll have to see what they set up for eating venues.  We can always get our food to take to outside seating, if needed.

If you have the vaccine and have immunity, why would you also need to wear masks?  The masks don't protect you, they protect others from you.  If you have immunity by then, I would think you wouldn't present a hazard to anybody and others shouldn't present a Covid-19 hazard to you.  One of my big concerns is if they let someone on the ship without a vaccination certificate and they get a cough.  I want to be sure that I would not also be quarantined on the ship.\

It's a matter of personal preference and feelings of safety, I just don't see the need for taking extreme measures if I'm willing to sail after vaccination.  If it makes you more comfortable on the cruise they by all means do what you think is best.

Edited by Daniel A

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you have the vaccine and have immunity, why would you also need to wear masks?  The masks don't protect you, they protect others from you.  If you have immunity by then, I would think you wouldn't present a hazard to anybody and others shouldn't present a Covid-19 hazard to you.  One of my big concerns is if they let someone on the ship without a vaccination certificate and they get a cough.  I want to be sure that I would not also be quarantined on the ship.

I would assume that once a vaccine is widely available that the cruise lines will insist on proof of vaccination.  Like the do with yellow fever or malaria drugs when you travel to Devils Island or Brazil. Remember to pack your “yellow card” with your passport. They would be crazy to not insist on that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I would assume that once a vaccine is widely available that the cruise lines will insist on proof of vaccination.  Like the do with yellow fever or malaria drugs when you travel to Devils Island or Brazil. Remember to pack your “yellow card” with your passport. They would be crazy to not insist on that

Agreed, and I hope that proof of vaccination or of existing antibodies would be required for embarkation as well as at the ports of call.  U.S. citizens may not have the "yellow card" as it is a WHO document.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Agreed, and I hope that proof of vaccination or of existing antibodies would be required for embarkation as well as at the ports of call.  U.S. citizens may not have the "yellow card" as it is a WHO document.

I just read this evening that a Texas lady was admitted to a hospital after she tested positive for the virus.  The problem is that this lady had previously had the virus, recovered, tested negative, and had been donating her plasma to help others.  But now, only a few weeks later she again is sick!  There is no explanation other then one physician who "guessed" that perhaps the virus was dormant inside of her and somehow got reactivated.  

I post this because the truth is that we do not know a lot about this virus.  Nobody is sure if you can get it again (China has reported some reinfections) or if there is some kind of immunity.  And if there is immunity it is still a question for how long?  It could be a week, month, year, forever!  Nobody knows, yet!

So all of these various ideas for resuming cruising (or even travel) are based on a lot of educated speculation!   The lady in Texas is now in the hospital with COVID-19....after she already had antibodies!

In case there is some disbelief here is a link to one of the stories

:https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/texas-woman-tests-positive-for-covid-19-a-second-time/

Hank

Hank

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I just read this evening that a Texas lady was admitted to a hospital after she tested positive for the virus.  The problem is that this lady had previously had the virus, recovered, tested negative, and had been donating her plasma to help others.  But now, only a few weeks later she again is sick!  There is no explanation other then one physician who "guessed" that perhaps the virus was dormant inside of her and somehow got reactivated.  

I post this because the truth is that we do not know a lot about this virus.  Nobody is sure if you can get it again (China has reported some reinfections) or if there is some kind of immunity.  And if there is immunity it is still a question for how long?  It could be a week, month, year, forever!  Nobody knows, yet!

So all of these various ideas for resuming cruising (or even travel) are based on a lot of educated speculation!   The lady in Texas is now in the hospital with COVID-19....after she already had antibodies!

In case there is some disbelief here is a link to one of the stories

:https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/texas-woman-tests-positive-for-covid-19-a-second-time/

Hank

Hank

Wow another new learning, better be careful and everyone wear them mask!

But again why would this be a surprise, we can and do get the flu as well as the common cold again and again... 

Edited by chipmaster

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If you have the vaccine and have immunity, why would you also need to wear masks?  The masks don't protect you, they protect others from you.  If you have immunity by then, I would think you wouldn't present a hazard to anybody and others shouldn't present a Covid-19 hazard to you.  One of my big concerns is if they let someone on the ship without a vaccination certificate and they get a cough.  I want to be sure that I would not also be quarantined on the ship.\

It's a matter of personal preference and feelings of safety, I just don't see the need for taking extreme measures if I'm willing to sail after vaccination.  If it makes you more comfortable on the cruise they by all means do what you think is best.

Because by next April we won't know how many people have actually been vaccinated, and the risk to mask wearers in the vicinity of non-mask wearers is moderately high, versus high risk if both aren't wearing a mask:

Infection with or without masks graphic.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Wow another new learning, better be careful and everyone wear them mask!

But again why would this be a surprise, we can and do get the flu as well as the common cold again and again... 

It is a surprise because so far the Covid-18 virus has not mutated.

Flu has mutated into a number of strains. Immunity to one is not immunity to the others.

The common cold also is caused by a number of different viruses.

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Exactly.

Why pay for the experience of sailing on a cruise ship having to wear masks, social distancing and having many of the venues limiting the number of people allowed at one time? Almost everything on the ships was packed to capacity the way it was before the pandemic began so if they decide to sail at full capacity, finding a seat at the pool or entertainment venue will be almost impossible unless they do so by a lottery.  That's not my idea of an enjoyable vacation.

We'll be among those that wait for a vaccine & live with any mask & social distancing. 

12 hours ago, pcur said:

Because by next April we won't know how many people have actually been vaccinated, and the risk to mask wearers in the vicinity of non-mask wearers is moderately high, versus high risk if both aren't wearing a mask:

As can be seen on any news report, and even posted by folks here, many people choose not to wear a mask.

The unfortunate out-take from the table you posted is that the 'receiver' has little control over the situation.

• Like 1

Carnival issued a press release that gives a hint of how they plan to restart cruising.  It says in part:

"The company expects to resume guest operations, after collaboration with both government and health authorities, in a phased manner, with specific ships and brands returning to service over time to provide its guests with enjoyable vacation experiences. The company anticipates that initial sailings will be from a select number of easily accessible homeports. "