Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

With the pricing of flights in Canada its probably cheaper to go to Florida 😆

Don't get me wrong I'd love a cruise that started in the East Coast but they drain us for $ with flights

well , no pity from east coasters as most of the time we have to fly to Florida via Toronto. I would much rather the Europe itineraries and there is nothing that draws me to FL  as a place to stay compared to what I see in the UK

5 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

well , no pity from east coasters as most of the time we have to fly to Florida via Toronto. I would much rather the Europe itineraries and there is nothing that draws me to FL  as a place to stay compared to what I see in the UK

True. When I've flown to FL for a cruise because I go early I end up not really doing much unlike when I go to Europe when there are things to see and do.

I also have to go through Toronto which is a pain in the butt. I've started going from Detroit when I can.

I have an Apex cruise in July, I'm leaving a few days early from Windsor at 10am (so need to be at the airport earlier) - my flight out of Pearson is 8pm. So get to spend the day working from the airport as I don't want to take a vacation day to sit at Pearson. Once in London I can see friends, hit markets I used to go to, go shopping etc.

Coming back I have a 5 hour connection because Air Canada were trying to give me a 1.15 min connection which is not possible between AC always being late and customs

27 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

True. When I've flown to FL for a cruise because I go early I end up not really doing much unlike when I go to Europe when there are things to see and do.

I also have to go through Toronto which is a pain in the butt. I've started going from Detroit when I can.

I have an Apex cruise in July, I'm leaving a few days early from Windsor at 10am (so need to be at the airport earlier) - my flight out of Pearson is 8pm. So get to spend the day working from the airport as I don't want to take a vacation day to sit at Pearson. Once in London I can see friends, hit markets I used to go to, go shopping etc.

Coming back I have a 5 hour connection because Air Canada were trying to give me a 1.15 min connection which is not possible between AC always being late and customs

interesting - coming from the UK I feel that about transatlantic - love doing them but FL as a destination gets tired real quick - end up looking at breaking the flight up on the way back instead.  Strange to sail all that way to then fly back for a break so close to home but one can get good deals doing so.

I like flying out of Toronto , never have a problem , and only 1-1/2 hr drive to get there 

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I like flying out of Toronto , never have a problem , and only 1-1/2 hr drive to get there 

It's 5 hour drive for me unless I fly. Last time I went through I had a 3 hour connection one way and was almost two hours late. Coming back I had two hours and it was an hour and a half late, landed to find AC had removed me from my connecting flight and put me on one 17 hours later. I had to run through the terminal, customs and beg the gate people to put me back on the flight as I was going to be stranded for the next day. Now I give it a minimum of a few hours connection.

Prior when I lived in the GTA the 427 driving in was pure hell, I was flying to the US and the security line people were barely making it through to their flights as it was so backed up.

Terminal one I think could be really improved, AC is supposed to be 'the' airline and the terminal for international flights sucks. There's not enough room for all the people flying, it's always jam packed and people having to sit on the floor as there is not enough seats (or places to eat). Now because of Covid they don't even have enough ground staff for the luggage which is why so many times the flights are delayed.

Canadians, If you're flying on Westjet to Florida to board a cruise, be sure to allow an extra day (in a hotel in FLL for example).  The last time I flew Westjet from Orlando to Calgary, the flight was delayed by 12 hours!  There was a thunderstorm, (OK, not their fault) and they had to stop at a different airport on the way for re-fueling and were therefore VERY late landing in Orlando.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:51 AM, upwarduk said:

They were towards the end, but Laura didn’t give straight answers:

eg Will you bring another ship to Southampton- no ‘yes or no’ but talked  around the subject of planning etc.

Laura seems especially skilled at talking around any questions that is asked, all with a big smile.  I suspect that was her biggest qualifications for getting the job. 

Personally, I wish they would find a new host for these presentations that appeared more professional.  I didn't think it could get worse than her constantly overused valley-girl injection of "awesome" into every other sentence, but apparently she is now trying to balance that out by throwing "epic" into as many sentences as possible, as well.  

Here is the Cliff's notes of the video.

1.) The President's cruise will be both AWESOME and EPIC!!!

2.) Sorry Southamptoners, no additional ships in port for you.

3.) More awesome (and epic?) wine options will be available at an upcharge, allegedly requested by the "most loyal guests" so no complaining about the upcharge, okay? 

4.) Better say your goodbyes now to your favorite M-class ships....

5.) Hints that the RC, Silversea, and Celebrity points may combine, but of course no official confirmation.  Personally, this one would be a positive change for the guest if it were to happen.

Edited by Salt Lifer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

Personally, I wish they would find a new host for these presentations that appeared more professional.  I didn't think it could get worse than her constantly overused valley-girl injection of "awesome" into every other sentence, but apparently she is now trying to balance that out by throwing "epic" into as many sentences as possible, as well.  

You forgot the ubiquitous "amazing!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Salt Lifer said:

5.) Hints that the RC, Silversea, and Celebrity points may combine, but of course no official confirmation.  Personally, this one would be a positive change for the guest if it were to happen.

I am not sure I see it the same way?  What would be the benefit you see of combining the programs?  

After answering this question, I think the next subject was a pretty solid stance that they would not be changing the benefits of the programs to match across the brands, e.g. Royal Caribbeans C&A free drinks anytime vouchers, most anywhere, will not be replacing Celebrity's CC Happy Hour.

• Like 1

It's 5 hour drive for me unless I fly. Last time I went through I had a 3 hour connection one way and was almost two hours late. Coming back I had two hours and it was an hour and a half late, landed to find AC had removed me from my connecting flight and put me on one 17 hours later. I had to run through the terminal, customs and beg the gate people to put me back on the flight as I was going to be stranded for the next day. Now I give it a minimum of a few hours connection.

Prior when I lived in the GTA the 427 driving in was pure hell, I was flying to the US and the security line people were barely making it through to their flights as it was so backed up.

Terminal one I think could be really improved, AC is supposed to be 'the' airline and the terminal for international flights sucks. There's not enough room for all the people flying, it's always jam packed and people having to sit on the floor as there is not enough seats (or places to eat). Now because of Covid they don't even have enough ground staff for the luggage which is why so many times the flights are delayed.

Which do you live in Ontario now ? 
We have cross the GTA to get home 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure I see it the same way?  What would be the benefit you see of combining the programs?  

The benefit is it encourages cruisers to stay within the RCCL family for all their cruising needs - so for a couple who likes child-free cruises in Celebrity, there is more of an incentive to take their family vacations on Royal, for instance, since they will still get points for the vacation. Otherwise they have nothing to gain by choosing Royal over Disney or Carnival.  For those of us who may want to try a more upscale (costly!) experience, knowing our status will carry to Silversea and we would continue earning points would be a benefit rather than considering another line like Oceania.  

THe perks for each tier would obviously vary from line to line, but you would be able to retain your status.  Good for cruisers and for shareholders.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

THe perks for each tier would obviously vary from line to line, but you would be able to retain your status.  Good for cruisers and for shareholders.

With the exception of Silversea that is in place today.  We were Diamond on Royal Caribbean when we took our first Celebrity cruise where we had Elite status.   Granted we were Elite with 0 Captains Club points but we received all of the perks the same as all others who were elite.  No you do not get "points" on Celebrity for nights sailed on Royal, but as your status on Royal goes up, so does you status on Celebrity, to a certain point and vice versa.

As I understand it, Silverseas does not have a tiered program.  Their program is simply based on the number of nights sailed versus points.   I would not see giving someone with Elite status on Celebrity who had never sailed on Silver Seas, the same benefits as someone who had sailed 100 nights on Silverseas.  

32 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

With the exception of Silversea that is in place today.  We were Diamond on Royal Caribbean when we took our first Celebrity cruise where we had Elite status.   Granted we were Elite with 0 Captains Club points but we received all of the perks the same as all others who were elite.  No you do not get "points" on Celebrity for nights sailed on Royal, but as your status on Royal goes up, so does you status on Celebrity, to a certain point and vice versa.

I thought that once you hit Elite on X or Diamond on Royal, you get the other, but there you stay.  To move up you have to sail the actual line.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

With the exception of Silversea that is in place today.  

No, that is not what they are talking about about... Right now if you are "Elite" on Celebrity you become something similar in Royal as a match. But if you are 10 points away from Elite on Celebrity you stay 10 points away on Celebrity regardless of how many cruises you take on Royal, until you hit enough points on Royal to earn their equivalent.  What they are proposing is a potential of accumulated points... So for instance if it took 100 points to get to a certain level you could earn 70 on Celebrity and 20 on Royal and 10 on Silversea and hit that tier.  

5 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I thought that once you hit Elite on X or Diamond on Royal, you get the other, but there you stay.  To move up you have to sail the actual line.

This brings up something I've been wondering. For my first Celebrity cruise, I matched with my Royal status of Platinum making me Select on Celebrity. Since then between cruises on X and Power Ups, I'll be Elite on Celebrity after my July solo cruise in Aqua (8 night cruise with double Aqua points plus the 5 for Go Green). I don't know that I'll cruise Royal again...or at least not before they make the points merge, but if I did, would I qualify for Diamond on Royal?

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This brings up something I've been wondering. For my first Celebrity cruise, I matched with my Royal status of Platinum making me Select on Celebrity. Since then between cruises on X and Power Ups, I'll be Elite on Celebrity after my July solo cruise in Aqua (8 night cruise with double Aqua points plus the 5 for Go Green). I don't know that I'll cruise Royal again...or at least not before they make the points merge, but if I did, would I qualify for Diamond on Royal?

If you're elite on Celebrity you should be Diamond on Royal as long as the accounts are linked.  

6 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

That is correct.  The status match only goes up to Diamond/Elite .. anything above that is based on actual sailings,  That's why i said "to a certain point" in my post. 

1 minute ago, Salt Lifer said:

No, that is not what they are talking about about... Right now if you are "Elite" on Celebrity you become something similar in Royal as a match. But if you are 10 points away from Elite on Celebrity you stay 10 points away on Celebrity regardless of how many cruises you take on Royal, until you hit enough points on Royal to earn their equivalent.  What they are proposing is a potential of accumulated points... So for instance if it took 100 points to get to a certain level you could earn 70 on Celebrity and 20 on Royal and 10 on Silversea and hit that tier.  

That is correct. 

It would be a disaster to all the loyalty programs if they did it the way you described.  

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yes, I believe that as your status on one program qualifies you for the next level, up to Diamond and Elite, then it carries over to the other program.   So when you reach Elite on Celebrity, your status on Royal Caribbean should change to Diamond.  You should be able to confirm by logging into your Royal Caribbean account after you have reached Elite on Celebrity. 

As I mentioned earlier, we were Diamon on Royal when we did our first sailing on Celebrity, which we did as Elite.  We are now Diamond Plus on Royal, and will reach Elite Plus with Celebrity on our next cruise. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Ok, I wouldn’t be looking at YYZ for any flights either 😁

lol yeah when I was in Burlington yes. Now it's either Windsor (connecting in TO) or Detroit.  My cruises this year I am doing Windsor just because I had enough Aeroplan points all I paid for was the taxes.

Next year I have Miami and FLL and not enough points so I'll be going from Detroit - direct and only about 3 hours

58 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

It would be a disaster to all the loyalty programs if they did it the way you described.  

Interesting. I am curious why you think it would be a disaster to all loyalty programs if they did that?

My thoughts is most people have limited time and money for cruising and are probably considered privileged if they can take more than 1-2 cruises a year. So what is the difference if they earn their points sailing 100% of the time on Celebrity vs. 75% on Celebrity and 25% on Royal?  Ultimately, they may hit a higher tier a little faster but they really won't be using the perks in any greater amount due to the limited time/money factor.  

17 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

Personally, I wish they would find a new host for these presentations that appeared more professional.

Agreed. I have sat through several webinars by various organizations (Amtrak Vacations does a good job…perhaps Celebrity should watch one or two of theirs) and conducted a few myself. The Celebrity versions always strike me as being done by a bunch of amateurs with little technical capability. Sort of like the old Mickey Rooney movies where “the kids” decide to put on a show. Fortunately, those movies had a crew of accomplished professionals actually “putting on the show,” so it was less painful than sitting through one of these webinars.

Simple things would help, such as elevating the camera (really tired of looking up their noses), back away from the camera a bit so your head doesn’t fill the entire screen, use a lapel mic, reduce background noise, etc. Just do an Internet search on “conducting a webinar.” 

Definitely have a host who is more accomplished at conducting interviews.

19 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have a flight to FLL with porter this Thursday morning from Pearson which is a 20 minute drive.  Paid $170 CAD one way. My AC return on April 1st was a bit more take the 11:20 am flight. Hopefully Porter is a good airline as never flown with them.  Hey, they serve free wine onboard. 😆 🍷

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

After answering this question, I think the next subject was a pretty solid stance that they would not be changing the benefits of the programs to match across the brands, e.g. Royal Caribbeans C&A free drinks anytime vouchers, most anywhere, will not be replacing Celebrity's CC Happy Hour.

Yeah, that was a weird one since the way the question was asked (that you can get your loyalty benefit level in one program when you sail on another) is already the case!

But the answer seemed to hedge around just having a single program instead - but agree with you, that would be a bad thing since it would complicate benefits between ships i.e. you're xxx level but on Celebrity these are your benefits, and on RCL you have these benefits, plus mean an overall degradation of earning, since progression could potentially be much faster now - so to compensate they would have to slow down progression.