Statendam Poster in Brexit Movie

VMax1700

For today's trivia:  Which current movie shows a poster of the Statendam?

Answer: Brexit : The Uncivil War.

This is a British TV documovie available on Netflix in Europe which we were watching last night.  It is mostly about Dominic Cummins who is Chief Advisor to Boris Johnson.  

Anyway 66 mins into the movie and what do we spot on a kitchen wall?

Yes, Holland America Statendam artwork.

Anyone know anything about it?

Screenshot_20200611-190403_Netflix.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-190649_Netflix.jpg

Edited by VMax1700

24 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

For today's trivia:  Which current movie shows a poster of the Statendam?

Answer: Brexit : The Uncivil War.

This is a British TV documovie available on Netflix in Europe which we were watching last night.  It is mostly about Dominic Cummins who is Chief Advisor to Boris Johnson.  

Anyway 66 mins into the movie and what do we spot on a kitchen wall?

Yes, Holland America Statendam artwork.

Anyone know anything about it?

Screenshot_20200611-190403_Netflix.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-190649_Netflix.jpg

That's a classic older poster from times gone by.  I can't tell you the date though, sorry.

I remember seeing it back in 1987 but it may date before that.  Hope someone can help you.

1929 -- artist was Cassandre (a pseudonym of Adolphe Jean-Marie Mouron)  (more details here:  https://retrographik.com/a-m-cassandre-art-deco-poster-artist/)   Claim to fame which -- and in use to this date?   He was the graphic designer who created the Yves Saint-Laurent logo.    Scott. 

image.png.6feeeaeb239e6b46af633618a460736e.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE

3 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

This is obviously an old documentary - he still has hair, LOL.

That isn't Cummins, it is supposed to be Craig Oliver, Director of Communications for David Cameron (when Prime Minister)

2 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

1929 -- artist was Cassandre (a pseudonym of Adolphe Jean-Marie Mouron)  (more details here:  https://retrographik.com/a-m-cassandre-art-deco-poster-artist/)   Claim to fame which -- and in use to this date?   He was the graphic designer who created the Yves Saint-Laurent logo.    Scott. 

Thanks for the info and the link

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lovely other said:

It was purchased from a prop house we favour based in Ireland ... glad someone appreciated it 😎

We would like to have one.  Any possibility they have another one?  Any contact details?

Ta!

9 hours ago, Lovely other said:

It was purchased from a prop house we favour based in Ireland ... glad someone appreciated it 😎

On mature reflection, do you know if it was purchased or rented from the prop house?

The poster(the HAL ad, not the Irish dude 😉 ) is based on this grand ol' lady, Holland America Line's ms Statendam III (1929-1940). She was built at Harland & Wolff in Belfast, Northern Ireland with accommodation for 510 First, 344 Second, 374 Tourist and 426 Third Class pax. Her nickname was "Queen of the Spotless Fleet" and she would be the last of the "Edwardian-style" liners, meaning the last traditionally decorated transAtlantic liner for the Northern Europe-New York route. She was laid down in June, 1921, launched on 11 September 1924, and then towed across the Irish Sea, the English Channel, and the North Sea, to Schiedam, west of Rotterdam, east of Vlaardingen, and south of Delft, for completion at the Wilton-Feijenoord yard in the Netherlands. She would not make her maiden voyage until 11 April 1929, an eight-year crawl to a career of only eleven years.

Statendam III was famous for her lavish interiors and was the first HAL liner with a permanent indoor swimming pool (on warm weather crossings, an outdoor canvas pool was rigged on deck.) She had a "cruiser-stern" and no superstructure extension forward. Good for 19 knots and fitted with six superheated watertube boilers, she was renowned for her economical operation.

Leaving New York for "safekeeping" in Rotterdam on 9 December 1939, her end was cruelly ironic as she was caught in a crossfire between German invading and Dutch defending forces and, as a result, she subsequently burned out between 11 and 12 May 1940. She was scrapped in August of that year

Holland America Line - Statendam III #2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

You are making me want to go get in my car and visit the Queen Mary. Just to be on a ship.

Did the Queen reopen? You might have to go for a battleship; USS Iowa in Pedro is now open with restrictions

https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/05/07/queen-mary-suspends-operations-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did the Queen reopen? You might have to go for a battleship; USS Iowa in Pedro is now open with restrictions

https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/05/07/queen-mary-suspends-operations-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

Not sure if the Queen is open yet.
I want to be on a ship. At this point if I still had my Cape Cod Frosty, it would even  do.

We took my Dad to Iowa about 2 years ago. He got quite the welcome as a WWII Navy veteran. The volunteers welcomed him with a bosuns whistle and lining the gangway, saluting him. It brought tears to my eyes.They said it’s not that often they get WWII vets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That's awesome and well-deserved since your dad belongs to the Greatest Generation, all heroes in my book. I worked alongside two of the gents (with the PD, one was my detective partner) who became volunteer staff of the Iowa. Stay safe Ma'am!

I happen to have this poster hanging here at home . Mine is printed on canvas so not as brite as the colours on the poster are and folded around the frame . for the rest it is identical .

Thank you Scott  YXU AC*SE a fellow Londoner ( Ont )  for the information of the artist and Copper10-8 for the historical info ! 

IMG_4101.JPG

BTW the poster hangs perfectly straight , the photographer was out of line ! 

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The poster(the HAL ad, not the Irish dude 😉 ) is based on this grand ol' lady, Holland America Line's ms Statendam III (1929-1940). She was built at Harland & Wolff in Belfast

Thanks for all the info.

Now knowing the background that she was built in H&W in Belfast, I am even more interested.  My first employment was in a printer's in the shadow of H&W, though that was in the days before the 'Samson and Goliath cranes' that dominated the skyline more recently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for all the info.

Now knowing the background that she was built in H&W in Belfast, I am even more interested.  My first employment was in a printer's in the shadow of H&W, though that was in the days before the 'Samson and Goliath cranes' that dominated the skyline more recently.

H&W is still in business, correct? But no longer building cruise liners/cruise ships

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

H&W is still in business, correct? But no longer building cruise liners/cruise ships

H & W went into Examinership (I think the equivalent of your Chapter 11) in 2019 and was eventually bought by a UK energy company and is making gas storage tanks.  Now employs just over 70 compared with 30,000 during the 'good days'.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

H & W went into Examinership (I think the equivalent of your Chapter 11) in 2019 and was eventually bought by a UK energy company and is making gas storage tanks.  Now employs just over 70 compared with 30,000 during the 'good days'.

Thank you Sir! Had to read up on it; quite a history! Never knew it had a yard in Glasgow also 

Titanic builder Harland and Wolff sinks into insolvency | Business ...

RMS_Titanic_ready_for_launch%2C_1911.jpg

We're All In The Same Boat | shawn b. bailey

1920px-Knocking_off_at_Harland_%26_Wolff%2C_Belfast.jpg

1920px-Harland_%26_Wolff_drawing_room_1.jpg

This is Harland and Wolff, the place the Titanic was assembled. It ...