Single occupancy cabin

WhoDatNation

I sailed in a 1A on the Fascination and Spirit for 150%.  They were 2 person cabins, but Carnival gave solos a break on them.  No more.  I would sail Carnival more often if they still gave solos a break.

• Like 1

They don't have single rooms but ask an agent to contact you about solo rates. They have 3 or 4 cruises a year they offer a limited number of solo cruise fares. The next one is a 3 day is in late October or

early November sorry can't remember. 

Yeah, the last time I got that great a solo deal was on the Dream out of New Orleans, 7 days to the Western Caribbean in a porthole room for $299.  Had a great time, but that room can be very noisy when the waves hit the side of the ship! Then the management changed and no more great solo deals!

18 hours ago, Aseyana said:

They don't have single rooms but ask an agent to contact you about solo rates. They have 3 or 4 cruises a year they offer a limited number of solo cruise fares. The next one is a 3 day is in late October or

early November sorry can't remember. 

I have not seen a solo deal in at least 5 years including this year

• Thanks 1

Most of the solo deals on Carnival seemed to be on the left coast with Imagination and Inspiration, although prior to Covid-19, Carnival bookings were strong to the point where there was no reason to offer a single supplement discount. That may change when cruising returns.

NCL has some single cabins, but they are popular and it is not unusual for them to cost a single more than  booking a regular cabin and paying double.

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Most of the solo deals on Carnival seemed to be on the left coast with Imagination and Inspiration, although prior to Covid-19, Carnival bookings were strong to the point where there was no reason to offer a single supplement discount. That may change when cruising returns.

NCL has some single cabins, but they are popular and it is not unusual for them to cost a single more than  booking a regular cabin and paying double.

Rcl also has solo cabins though they seem a well kept secret. Not many. Out of Galveston, jewel has 3, on deck 4 I think, and adventure has 5 down on deck 2. They are pretty good deals, but I'd rather pay more for a regular cabin on rcl and get double solo pts.

Other ships in the same class as above also have them. Only a few booking sites show them. I say they are secret because 3 rcl agents have told me they dont exist. Look on the deck plans, they do exist. Very few true, but there are some. Newer ships also have solo balconys too.

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have not seen a solo deal in at least 5 years including this year

I agree, you will not see them posted. I'm not sure how normal it is but I have the same agent contact me about cruise rates and he normally calls me in March to let me know which cruises are offered at a solo rate. 

• Like 1

Solo cruising has been a discussion point on Cruise Critic for many years.  I believe that there are a lot of solo cruisers who would sail more if the option was available.

The only time I was able to grab a solo rate was on the Legend sailing out of Tampa to the western Caribbean for 7 days and that was at least 10 years ago.  I just happened to be checking cruises online and that one caught my eye and I booked it immediately.  I still don't know if it was a mistake or if the ship was not fully booked.  I believe I paid around $300 for one of those wonderful 4K staterooms with the French doors.

Since then, if I want to sail solo, I have to pay for the invisible person in my stateroom.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aseyana said:

I agree, you will not see them posted. I'm not sure how normal it is but I have the same agent contact me about cruise rates and he normally calls me in March to let me know which cruises are offered at a solo rate. 

And was it out of miami? You mentioned shorter cruises. I have mostly found them out of Miami which has too many ships to fill. In the past Galveston didnt need them. There are a few but it would cost me as much to fly there and get a hotel as just paying the solo supplement. I watch rates pretty closely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tattoos said:

Solo cruising has been a discussion point on Cruise Critic for many years.  I believe that there are a lot of solo cruisers who would sail more if the option was available.

The only time I was able to grab a solo rate was on the Legend sailing out of Tampa to the western Caribbean for 7 days and that was at least 10 years ago.  I just happened to be checking cruises online and that one caught my eye and I booked it immediately.  I still don't know if it was a mistake or if the ship was not fully booked.  I believe I paid around $300 for one of those wonderful 4K staterooms with the French doors.

Since then, if I want to sail solo, I have to pay for the invisible person in my stateroom.  

Having met other's cruising partners, can say I am happy to pay extra and sail solo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

And was it out of miami? You mentioned shorter cruises. I have mostly found them out of Miami which has too many ships to fill. In the past Galveston didnt need them. There are a few but it would cost me as much to fly there and get a hotel as just paying the solo supplement. I watch rates pretty closely. 

No, I typically go out of Galveston and New Orleans. Only if I am doing back to back will I bother with Florida

My first Carnival cruise was  a solo offer on Splendor from NY in Feb. 2014. $600 in a balcony cabin, 8 day cruise to Bahamas. 

At first I thought it had to be a mistake but it was true and I was glad I decided to try Carnival.

I sailed on Splendor from NY five times that year,  different itineraries, in the same cabin at the same price, except for the repo cruise to San Juan that October,  I got that for $75.00 on a Pack and Go offer as a solo!

2014 was a good year for cruising.  After that, Carnival stopped the winter sailings from NY and I never saw solo pricing like that again.

• Like 1

Elaine5715, I agree with you, sailing solo was great.  I know the cruise lines make much more when there is an actual second person in the room because that person is spending money on alcoholic beverages, shore excursion bookings, gambling, etc.  However, it would be nice if the cruise lines set aside a few staterooms in each category and designate them for solo cruisers.  Don't offer solo cruisers the worst staterooms on each deck but let them choose the deck and location of their choice.  

When I sailed on the Legend with the solo rate, the only staterooms I could chose from were Interiors and I was very lucky to book a 4K room which is classified as an Interior.  It was the same size as a balcony room and had a full size sofa and table and those large French doors that let the sun shine in my room.  I had chosen a room that looked out between lifeboats.

Rcl has a unwritten rule that makes me feel unwelcome  ... solo cannot book a gty. When I complained on the rcl forums of course I was attacked. Or told to book a phantom 2nd pax and play the game.

I still am mad solo cannot book gty rates on rcl, 99% of the time. Of course there is always that one exception, just like here someone remembers that one time they didnt pay double. Very subtle. If a solo tries to book a gty rate, you get a payment error. That's why I said unwritten rule. 

Clearly they want families and not us ... all of the lines.