What CDC Grading System Does & Doesn’t Mean For Cruise Ships

Oxo

11 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Not hard to find social media group discussions of numbers of people testing positive on their return home. I have no idea why this color coded business continues while souvenir cases are ignored. Do not take the color codes as any sort of reflection of your relative risk of catching covid on your sailing. 

I'm sitting on Allure right now with zero concern about either the ship's color code or catching covid.

• Like 3

The latest crew arrivals turned Ovation yellow, Quantum was added to the list (incorrectly - listed as passenger carrying) as yellow even though she still a few days out from Seattle and with Odyssey on her TA she was dropped off the list.

Edited by Biker19

On 6/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Only one green ship. That is not encouraging.

Sure it is. Did you see how few people need to test positive for it to be yellow - .3% of the PAX. So 7 folks or so. Now do you feel btter

4 minutes ago, Sirlancelot said:

Sure it is. Did you see how few people need to test positive for it to be yellow - .3% of the PAX. So 7 folks or so. Now do you feel btter

It's not the small number that matters so much as the number of infections that result afterwards. Sadly we have no actual data that could inform us of how much more or less likely one is to be infected by cruising. 

Actually what really matters is how many people get sick enough to be hospitalized.  That number is currently very, very low.  Counting cases doesn't really mean anything.  We keep hearing about how many cases, but haven't heard of people getting sick enough to require hospitalization after cruises because that number is almost non-existent in the vaccinated.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

Do I feel better? I'm feeling just fine. I barely even remember a post I made almost two years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As long as the CDC counts positive tests as a "case", we'll never get to green with a virus that is here to stay.

The CDC just lifted Title 42 restrictions:

"After considering current public health conditions and an increased availability of tools to fight COVID-19 (such as highly effective vaccines and therapeutics), the CDC Director has determined that an Order suspending the right to introduce migrants into the United States is no longer necessary."

I guess those vaccines and therapeutics don't count for cruise ship passengers, just the folks mentioned in the CDC order.

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Which is why the color codes are absolutely useless.

The CDC has a different explanation why they are getting rid of it:

The previous color-coding system under CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships depended upon each cruise line having the same COVID-19 screening testing standards, which may now vary among cruise lines. Therefore, the cruise ship color status webpage has been retired. CDC will continue to provide testing recommendations for cruise ship operators to follow and cruise ships will continue to report COVID-19 cases to CDC.

• Like 1