What CDC Grading System Does & Doesn’t Mean For Cruise Ships

Oxo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rhapsody dropped to yellow. I don't see any update to the technical instructions based on the letter to the lines about vaccinations.

This was the only change last month:

April 2, 2021

Added the Routine COVID-19 Laboratory Screening Testing of All Crew Section, the Procedures for Embarking Contractors Overnight and Visitors Overnight Section, and the Procedures for Embarking Day Contractors and Day Visitors Section. Clarified laboratory parameters and testing options. Updated surveillance reporting requirement to daily, revised the color-coding system, and COVID-19-like illness definition.

Edited by Biker19

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Sometime in the recent past a fourth color code was added to mix - explanation here:

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

Freedom dropped to Yellow while Rhapsody is now Orange.

It's hilarious that you can be moved to Orange or Yellow with zero covid cases. Just people with a cold or the flu.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, Biker19 said:

It looks like with yesterday's update a number of RCI ships (Freedom, Liberty, Mariner, Oasis, Rhapsody and Symphony) have gotten a full green Yes on CDC's crew charges via commercial means.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

I hope Allure is in there, all those ships you mentioned are just floating out around CoCo Cay this morning, waiting.....just a few hrs away.  Oops must 've done something wrong with my Paint.

Cruise mapper May 8.png

Edited by BecciBoo

47 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I hope Allure is in there, all those ships you mentioned are just floating out around CoCo Cay this morning, waiting.

The list has grown since that post, and, yes, most RCI ships, including Allure are hanging out around CocoCay.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's hilarious that you can be moved to Orange or Yellow with zero covid cases. Just people with a cold or the flu.

And it's sad people find common sense hilarious.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What's the common sense in having your ship fall out of compliance because someone has a cold?

There is no common sense. There doesn't seem to be much science involved either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What's the common sense in having your ship fall out of compliance because someone has a cold?

Read the link again. The status only changes if there is some doubt about the actual disease presenting. From the link "...One or more cases of COVID-19-like illness with negative or repeatedly inconclusive/invalid (i.e., never able to register a positive or negative result) NAAT results for COVID-19 within the past 14-days (with no other laboratory-confirmed respiratory pathogens (e.g., influenza, RSV, Legionella, Streptococcal pharyngitis))...".

I take it you think common sense would suggest letting an infection spread until one is able to confirm COVID-19?

On 5/8/2021 at 8:04 AM, BecciBoo said:

I hope Allure is in there, all those ships you mentioned are just floating out around CoCo Cay this morning, waiting.....just a few hrs away.  Oops must 've done something wrong with my Paint.

Cruise mapper May 8.png

Allure is in the what I call the "pod"  Right now, she is sailing into the Port of Miami for crew vaccinations.  She comes in at 5 AM and leaves at 6 PM.  She is also categorized as Green by the CDC

On 5/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, broberts said:

Read the link again. The status only changes if there is some doubt about the actual disease presenting. From the link "...One or more cases of COVID-19-like illness with negative or repeatedly inconclusive/invalid (i.e., never able to register a positive or negative result) NAAT results for COVID-19 within the past 14-days (with no other laboratory-confirmed respiratory pathogens (e.g., influenza, RSV, Legionella, Streptococcal pharyngitis))...".

I take it you think common sense would suggest letting an infection spread until one is able to confirm COVID-19?

Let it spread? Yeah because a sick crew member, no matter the illness, on a ship is just going to be allowed to gallivant around the ship licking everyone's doorknobs.

• Haha 1

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.. Could dropping from green to orange mean that they have added crew members that need to pass the protocols before they can go back to green?

Edited by mauraoel
Auto correct sucks.

29 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.. Could dropping from green to orange mean that they have added crew members that need to pass the protocols before they can go back to green?

All of the color codes are explained in detail on the CDC web site.

While no colors changed for RCI ships, I did notice the absence of Odyssey, which RCI is supposed to try to sail out of Florida soon. For context, while still in Europe (due to sail her TA to Florida at the end of this week), CCL added Mardi Gras and is provisionally green.

• 2 weeks later...