Passport validity question

Bollycats

On 6/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, FredT said:

Sometime I wonder why I bother....   30 seconds of google and I hat on a bunch of answers.  (Most of whom I trust more than you)   The "simplest " one is this by "the Points Guy"   

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/six-month-passport-validity-rule/#:~:text=To be safe%2C verify that,it way ahead of time.

The countries listed below abide by the usual six months of passport validity unless otherwise noted.

North America and the Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, St. Barthelemy, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, and Panama*.

*Passport must be valid three months beyond arrival.   

Unless I am mistaken, all are in the Caribbean.  

Give it a rest!

OP is a US citizen talking about closed loop cruises from US ports on Carnival and Princess, on which either passport or birth certificate with photo ID is sufficient.   

What you may may or may not have overheard in San Juan is utterly irrelevant to OP’s situation.  Six month rules apply in some cases when flying to some countries - but OP is not planning to board a flight so he/she is not likely to be prevented from boarding and losing the fare paid - which seems to be your major focus.

You really should pay attention to questions raised, then try to understand the issues, before spouting absurdities.

• Like 4

On 7/27/2020 at 1:23 PM, Roger88 said:

Well its not always true, at least now. If the company is big then of course they will try to help you out but as for the small ones, if you didnt purchase their insurance you will have to find your way back solely on your own my friend. This is bad, really bad but its true 

No, if the airline boards you and you do not meet the stated entry requirements, they are responsible for getting you out of the country that does not let you in.  So the airline does not check for a visa, and you need one, and do not have it, the airline is on the hook.

If there is some other reason you are not allowed to enter, then you are on your own.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:09 AM, sparks1093 said:

There is no legal reason why a US citizen on a closed loop cruise would be denied boarding because of a passport that expires less than 6 months after the cruise ends. None. So what you witnessed isn't what you witnessed and there was something else amiss.

Unless it is part of the terms on conditions in your cruise contract.

SOME cruise lines require a passport with a minimum of 6 months validity.  Not a requirement of the ports, but of the CRUISE LINE.

15 minutes ago, snichols23 said:

Last week I participated in a zoom meeting hosted by The Points Guy. The guest speaker Ian Brownlee from US embassy. He had some very enlightening things to say about international travel. You might want to track it down.

Here's the link so everyone doesn't have to Google it.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/future-of-international-travel-webinar/

Edited by ColeThornton

Everyone is talking in generalities when specifics are what matters.

Special Note to all Members: Soften your "virtual" voice when you respond to others.  Re-read before you push the submit button.  Let's set an example for the rest of the travel world by displaying who we are!  Remember, we're all in this together.

If a fool and a wiseman are arguing, how can you tell the difference?

On 6/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, sanger727 said:

I agree that you should be fine if you hold a US passport. Worst case you can just use a birth certificate and ID to board and have the passport in case you needed to fly back for some reason. You almost certainly would not get your passport back in time for these trips. I sent mine in in mid march. Been 3 months and haven't heard anything yet. 

Right now the processing time for passports is about 10 weeks.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, ColeThornton said:

Here's the link so everyone doesn't have to Google it.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/future-of-international-travel-webinar/

I did check it out - a fair amount of misinformation.  

Stating (as of September 2) that it took about 10 weeks to process passport applications - and then went on to say that 82% of April, May and June applications had been processed.  Of course, a passport application submitted in May (the mid-point) has been there from 12 to 17 weeks as of September 2-  so that 10 week figure is pure BS.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, marco said:

Just an "FYI".  I didn't realize they were not processing passport renewals as they had been pre-pandemic and I sent away for a renewal on April 1st.  The new passport arrived today...July 25.  Not that we can go anywhere right now...bu t just to let you know what the current timeframe is.

April 1 to July 25 sounds like 115 days - or over 16 weeks.  It would be interesting to hear from people who have gotten their new passports back in anything less than 10 weeks (someone must have for the average to be about 10).

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did check it out - a fair amount of misinformation.  

Stating (as of September 2) that it took about 10 weeks to process passport applications - and then went on to say that 82% of April, May and June applications had been processed.  Of course, a passport application submitted in May (the mid-point) has been there from 12 to 17 weeks as of September 2-  so that 10 week figure is pure BS.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

April 1 to July 25 sounds like 115 days - or over 16 weeks.  It would be interesting to hear from people who have gotten their new passports back in anything less than 10 weeks (someone must have for the average to be about 10).

In the other passport thread you have responded to, it states that as of Sep 4 it is taking 10 weeks to process and aiming to get that back to 6-8 weeks. That means that only those received after the last week in June fall into that 10 week statement. They acknowledge that processing was shut down for a time with no processing. Those before end of June do not figure into any average. You can include only those who applied after June in any meaningful average, and even then, may be skewed from number of people who may have waited to apply and numbers will increase now again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 6:26 AM, Charles4515 said:

The government has not and was not shut down. Government workers have been telecommuting. Passports and paper IRS could not be be done that way. I filed electronically and got my tax refund. I renewed my Global Entry and because my renewal did not require an interview it took a day for approval. I also received a new card in the mail a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Passports have only been renewed on a life/death need. They only went back to work in June. I submitted my global entry January 2020 with and expiration date of 2021. Still pending. CBP hasn’t worked due to being placed at the collapsing border wall. Only went back to GOES on 9/8/2020. 

Passports have only been renewed on a life/death need. They only went back to work in June. I submitted my global entry January 2020 with and expiration date of 2021. Still pending. CBP hasn’t worked due to being placed at the collapsing border wall. Only went back to GOES on 9/8/2020. 

I did an online renewal of my Global Entry at the end of April 2020. My expiration was 2021. My renewal was approved in a couple of days and I got a new card in the mail expiring in 2026 about a week later. The holdup for some renewals seems to be if they need to interview you. I was not required an interview. Some renewers are required to have an interview and others are not. I don’t know how that is determined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, snichols23 said:

I suspect that the folks processing those applications aren't the folks wearing badges, so they would unlikely to be put anywhere on any border.