Changing a passenger name on a booked HAL cruise

TAD2005

I have a booked cruise for September 2021 on a HAL cruise with a travelling partner, not related to me.  They have indicated that they will not be able to go.  I have someone else that wants to go, but  I don't want to cancel and rebook, and lose all the perks.  Can my TA work with HAL to swap out the old name with a new one ?  I am the primary contact on the booking.  Has anyone done this and did you have any problems ?

From the HAL cruise contract:

"Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I have a booked cruise for September 2021 on a HAL cruise with a travelling partner, not related to me.  They have indicated that they will not be able to go.  I have someone else that wants to go, but  I don't want to cancel and rebook, and lose all the perks.  Can my TA work with HAL to swap out the old name with a new one ?  I am the primary contact on the booking.  Has anyone done this and did you have any problems ?

Has final payment been made ? You can change names if you're outside final payment. The tricky part is the deposit belonging to the cancelling friend.  

Edited by Boatdrill

We have done a name change with no problem no extra cost. The new person can pay back the others deposit and keep it as their own. Our TA handled all the details.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Has final payment been made ? You can change names if you're outside final payment. The tricky part is the deposit belonging to the cancelling friend.  

No, final payment isn't until next June, 2021.   And I paid the deposit for both passengers.  So, I will ask my TA to work on this for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

No, final payment isn't until next June, 2021.   And I paid the deposit for both passengers.  So, I will ask my TA to work on this for me.

Definitely, your TA should be able to advise you and take care of this.

I ask every time I book as my travel partners can be fickle.  They have always told me with 10 days notice there is not a problem.  They have never mentioned a fee .  Fortunately I have never tested it 

Here's a true story about changing passenger names. 

A young, unmarried couple check in  for a Carnival cruise.  The check in agent finds the booking in her computer,

and looks at their passports. The male's name is the same as on the booking, however the female"s name is completely different. The agent tells them that the female (let's call her Sue) is not booked. The boyfriend asks what name is on the booking?  The agent replies ________ (let's call her Mary).  The boyfriend is aghast, and Sue begins to cry (she knows Mary). 

It seems that the boyfriend had originally booked the cruise for him and his girlfriend-at-the-time Mary, but after they broke up, he invited Sue.  He told the check in agent that he had cancelled Mary's booking, and rebooked with Sue.  After consulting with a supervisor,  the agent said that a name change can be done, but they would need to cancel the reservation,. and rebook, right there and then. The boyfriend said he couldn't afford it, and Sue  sobbed even more. The boyfriend was adamant that he had cancelled Mary, and rebooked Sue months earlier.

The supervisor  called Carnival reservations, so they could look at the booking history.  They found that the boyfriend was correct; he had indeed cancelled Mary, and booked Sue. So how did Mary's name get back on the reservation ?  After they broke up, Mary learned that Sue would be going on the cruise.  Records show that Mary logged in to the boyfriend's Carnival account, and was able to put her name back on the booking with the help of an unsuspecting reservations agent. 

Carnival waived any name change/rebooking fees for the boyfriend and Sue. They boarded the cruise, and hopefully had a great time.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

My husband & I booked a cruise while on a cruise that included many perks.  He passed away and I have a friend who would like to go.  All I have paid so far is the small deposit.  The cruise is not until Oct. 2021.  Can I change the name without loosing the perks?

4 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Give HAL a call.  When my husband passed away, I was able to substitute my daughter with no problem.

I did the same thing this past spring.  The original booking was like yours made on board another sailing and came with several perks & OBC.  HAL charged no fees and let my daughter have all the perks and OBC.

• 1 month later...

Note  to the OP.......what if the person who "couldn't go on the cruise" was dumped by you and her money was paying part of your credit card bills for years?????  The credit cards that you use for all  cruises.   Will the real TAD2005 stand up.........that would be me.......the woman scorned.💀  I just want people to know the truth.......hmmmmm.....truth....look it up on google you fake TAD2005!!

23 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Note  to the OP.......what if the person who "couldn't go on the cruise" was dumped by you and her money was paying part of your credit card bills for years?????  The credit cards that you use for all  cruises.   Will the real TAD2005 stand up.........that would be me.......the woman scorned.💀  I just want people to know the truth.......hmmmmm.....truth....look it up on google you fake TAD2005!!

This is getting good! Please elaborate, we've got nothing else to do for awhile.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

This is getting good! Please elaborate, we've got nothing else to do for awhile.

Truth....guess this covid thing did nothing good for any of us but I think I would like to take my account back so the fake TAD 2005 needs to back off and go do whatever with his new girley friends.