Edge and Apex

shofer

44 minutes ago, RhumondTonique said:

Where is Elite happy hour? Used to be in the sky lounge which has disappeared.  There was no equivalent space on Edge. The social aspect of happy hour is lost.

The Elite happy hour is held in The Club. No loss of socialization.

• Like 1

What club?  Something for suite people only? There was no club when we were on Edge. Where is it ? If you mean the dungeon/night club, that is no comparison with the sky lounge on solstice class. We have been elite for years and it seemed to us like they had no idea what to do for captain's club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RhumondTonique said:

What club?  Something for suite people only? There was no club when we were on Edge. Where is it ? If you mean the dungeon/night club, that is no comparison with the sky lounge on solstice class. We have been elite for years and it seemed to us like they had no idea what to do for captain's club.

We went to 2 events, if I recollect correctly, one was a captains club party in Eden, which was really too crowded. The actual Elite happy hour was in The Club, and we went to get a good spot for the show, not actually happy hour, but had a couple of drinks and nibbles anyway. No, the space is not as large as on a solstice class, and there’s no view, but we had fun anyway. I guess we aren’t big socializes? We also had a primo spot for the acrobatic show and didn’t want to jeopardize that.

For the best info on Edge class ships, do a search for posts authored by vtcruising. She made it her mission to learn and share everything she could about Edge. She passed away last year, but her posts were the most thoughtful and will live here forever.

I love the S-class ships, and I sailed Edge last Fall. Not crazy about the IV or the new Martini Bar location, but it is a lovely ship.  I LOVE the four MDR choices on Edge, and I thought the nightclub was fun (some odd seating though).  Nice way to spend a week or two! Oh, how I miss cruising.  I usually choose based on itinerary, but if I had a choice, I'd take Solstice class over Edge and Edge over Millennium.

That's just me, but you asked! 😃  Have a wonderful time whatever ship you choose.

Julie  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RhumondTonique said:

The dungeon style clubs are on Royal C ships.

The Club has always been on EDGE..has been used  for various daytime and evening activities,  uncluding the  Cao Club social hr. ( but I believe you can also get drinks at some other bars too..)   the Club  is not a large space, can be dark in there..no windows,  but has upstairs tables and also tables on the main floor..  & a long bar area.

We saw a great aerial show there,  ( get there early), heard good music  and dropped by at times to hang out. Space is coming into its own...sorry you missed enjoying it!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We went onto Edge as naysayers, and my husband still isn’t a huge fan, mostly because of the disjointed feel that someone else described and the 2-3 dead ends on the upper decks - he actually felt that they would be unsafe in an emergency.

I though loved the walking track and Eden is a wonderful space any time of day. A lot of people complain about the Martini Bar noise, but we only found it super noisy during the bartender show, and that only lasted about 20 minutes. The music was occasionally loud, but not consistently. My only real complaint is that instead of several small bars inside the ship, Edge basically has 2 big bars. To get a quiet drink before dinner we had to learn to go against the crowd, or go to Elite happy hour which was less crowded. We figured that out and had a marvelous time - our last cruise for many months.

We were in an inside cabin, so can’t comment on IVs, except from the hallway door peeking in, it made the room look big.

We found the Eden Bar to be nice and mostly quiet- unless there was a show.  We dined in Fine Cut steakhouse and they gave us a table at the railing overlooking the Martini Bar area.  It was very noisy and hard to have a dinner conversation.  During the bartender show, a number of people rushed to the rail and were rudely standing around our table, taking pictures, etc.  We could not believe it after the money we spent to dine there.  We asked to be moved and initially they refused claiming they had no other tables.  So we made a bit of a stink and finally moved to more of an inside location.  But this was really the only poor experience we had on Edge.  Enjoyed it overall.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We found the Eden Bar to be nice and mostly quiet- unless there was a show.  We dined in Fine Cut steakhouse and they gave us a table at the railing overlooking the Martini Bar area.  It was very noisy and hard to have a dinner conversation.  During the bartender show, a number of people rushed to the rail and were rudely standing around our table, taking pictures, etc.  We could not believe it after the money we spent to dine there.  We asked to be moved and initially they refused claiming they had no other tables.  So we made a bit of a stink and finally moved to more of an inside location.  But this was really the only poor experience we had on Edge.  Enjoyed it overall.

We never even got that far with Fine Cut..and never will.

For our furst EDGE cruise, we had pre booked our usual preferred eary dining  time many months in advance.

We dropped by the evening befors to re confirm and were told we were moved to a much later time that " would be better for us"..  With no notice or contact at that point.  We said no,..but they would not budge and refused to change us back,  and made us feel like we did something wrong.  The NASTY maitre d  then refused to cancel our res and was quite loud!   We stood our ground and he grudgingly cancelled our res..money refunded that evening,  We did not even try to book again in Nov,..  Looks like it would not have been the quiet upscale experience we wanted anyhow.

Heard of similar nonsense in EDEN, where they broke up family groups of 6 or 8 and assigned them diff dining times..and  also made a stink when pax said to cancel,

Some retraining obviously needed

1 minute ago, hcat said:

For our first EDGE cruise, we had pre booked our usual preferred eary dining  time many months in advance.

We dropped by the evening befors to re confirm and were told we were moved to a much later time that " would be better for us"..  With no notice or contact at that point.  We said no,..but they would not budge and refused to change us back,  and made us feel like we did something wrong.  The NASTY maitre d  then refused to cancel our res and was quite loud!   We stood our ground and he grudgingly cancelled our res..money refunded that evening,  We did not even try to book again in Nov,..  Looks like it would not have been the quiet upscale experience we wanted anyhow.

Heard of similar nonsense in EDEN, where they broke up family groups of 6 or 8 and assigned them diff dining times..and  also made a stink when pax said to cancel,

Edited by hcat

20 hours ago, hcat said:

For our furst EDGE cruise, we had pre booked our usual preferred eary dining  time many months in advance.

I would not go to Fine Cut again if I am ever on E-Class again and that is a big if at this point!

Best deal for us was the Bistro  Cafe or Cafe Bistro ( i may have the name wrong) 

At night it does the computer cartoons  le Petit Chef ..no interest.

But other times it has a wonderful menu, fresh prepared meals, excellent wine service,  sea views,  and a great uncluttered ambiance.  They also  offer nice take away lunches and deli ....Well priced for  what you receive!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:43 PM, Buckeye94 said:

For the best info on Edge class ships, do a search for posts authored by vtcruising. She made it her mission to learn and share everything she could about Edge. She passed away last year, but her posts were the most thoughtful and will live here forever.

I love the S-class ships, and I sailed Edge last Fall. Not crazy about the IV or the new Martini Bar location, but it is a lovely ship.  I LOVE the four MDR choices on Edge, and I thought the nightclub was fun (some odd seating though).  Nice way to spend a week or two! Oh, how I miss cruising.  I usually choose based on itinerary, but if I had a choice, I'd take Solstice class over Edge and Edge over Millennium.

That's just me, but you asked! 😃  Have a wonderful time whatever ship you choose.

Julie  

Thank you for the wonderful heads-up Buckeye94 - I will most certainly do my searching for posts from vtcruising.... I appreciate anyone who shared their knowledge, as I know I did way back when RC/Allure was brand-new!! Sorry to hear of her passing, I know on my time here, I have seen here posts... and will now fully enjoy them for my research! 

Happy cruising to everyone! 

Have enjoyed reading this thread.

Just (within the last hour) booked a January 2021 cruise on Edge.

Have wanted to try this ship - price was too good to pass up.

For now we are booked - will see what happens before nor and then.

Hoping 6 months will yield many positive changes in the world!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PBTravelBug said:

Have enjoyed reading this thread.

Just (within the last hour) booked a January 2021 cruise on Edge.

Have wanted to try this ship - price was too good to pass up.

For now we are booked - will see what happens before nor and then.

Hoping 6 months will yield many positive changes in the world!

World yes.  Not so sure about the US.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:34 AM, hcat said:

I guess I can be the contrarian voice here. We had dinner on Valentines Day 2020. Made a reservation in September, asked for and received an early time, asked for a more inside table away from the noise. We were seated by the window, watched a lovely sunset. The service was good, not rushed, despite the fact they became quite busy as the evening went on. 
The steak was only so-so we thought, although there was a lot of it, but we’re picky and the frozen steak just is hard to get past... We much preferred Eden, it approaches some land-based fine dining, but isn’t to everyone’s taste.

The best steak I’ve ever had on Celeb was in Le Petit Chef on Silhouette on sail away night.. I’ve wondered if it was not frozen steak since it was the first night and leaving from the UK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I guess I can be the contrarian voice here. We had dinner on Valentines Day 2020. Made a reservation in September, asked for and received an early time, asked for a more inside table away from the noise. We were seated by the window, watched a lovely sunset. The service was good, not rushed, despite the fact they became quite busy as the evening went on. 
The steak was only so-so we thought, although there was a lot of it, but we’re picky and the frozen steak just is hard to get past... We much preferred Eden, it approaches some land-based fine dining, but isn’t to everyone’s taste.

The best steak I’ve ever had on Celeb was in Le Petit Chef on Silhouette on sail away night.. I’ve wondered if it was not frozen steak since it was the first night and leaving from the UK.

I went to a chef-run steak cooking demonstration I think on an S-Class ship (Silhouette?) a couple of years back.  They keep steaks frozen - but not the dry-aged ones that you pay a premium which they load on board before the cruise departs.  Anyway- the issue is that they cannot have open flames in the kitchens on board.  So they use electric/ceramic searing devices.  Just not the same as a good land-based steakhouse.  

I had posted this before, but never gotten any response. I'll try again.

We are booked in 9312 and I have read different stories as to how much overhang there is in the SV's.

Is it 50 % covered or what?

On 7/3/2020 at 4:54 AM, hcat said:

We also like the Viking look...would give it  a try if we cruise again.

We did Viking several times- Ocean and River. It was fun at first but found it boring after a couple of cruises and appreciate the Vibe on Celebrity. After 10 PM on Viking, it’s closed down and quiet. Good for some but not for me.  Different strokes for different folks.  We are booked on Apex for Sept 2021 and looking forward to the IV. I spend so little time actually on the balcony that I think I will appreciate the extra space. 

6 hours ago, bubbachief said:

I had posted this before, but never gotten any response. I'll try again.

We are booked in 9312 and I have read different stories as to how much overhang there is in the SV's.

Is it 50 % covered or what?

Our SV  (middle))deck 7 had a small overhang..nothing close  to 50%.   Mostly very very sunny out there during the day.  Not sure if  the overhang increases on upper decks.  If I locate a photo later I will post...

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

Shows how large and open it was...It will take awhile to find one of our Deck 7 middle overhang and one  photo looking upward from our balcony.

Meanwhile, hope someone  had the SV room your are asking about and can give a def answer!

20191116_094613.jpg.50cb3f2c54cc1ff45d10c73de649c019.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

Shows how large and open it was...It will take awhile to find one of our Deck 7 middle overhang and one  photo looking upward from our balcony.

Meanwhile, hope someone  had the SV room your are asking about and can give a def answer!

20191116_094613.jpg.50cb3f2c54cc1ff45d10c73de649c019.jpg

Thanks for the picture. What's the white post on the left for? Seems kind of strange and in the way.