The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

No Crystal unfortunately….but Paris in the springtime is a delight in spite of the dark clouds. We were scheduled to visit here as part of a transatlantic trip on Crystal until Covid struck. 

0ACA249D-AE10-4163-8119-71889BD87A7E.jpeg

Edited by Emdee
  • Like 4

I have only one sunrise for April 11.  It's from the 2014 MS Amsterdam voyage from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale.  On April 11 we crossed the Equator on the way from Ascension to Cape Verde:

dawn0411.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

I am so sorry to hear about Alito's closing after 97 years. Wow.

Brian, I am glad Scoma's is still going strong. For us, it's a "tradition".  😃

When we returned to Washington, DC in 2017 for a milestone anniversary as this is where we went to University, met and lived for several years we were disappointment that pretty much all of our favorite restaurants were no longer in business.  Makes me feel older.  😓

Keith

• Like 1

Roy,

I  continue to be amazed by how few days there are that you don't have a sunrise or sunset photo to share with us from one of your cruises.

I also like that you usually have some part of the ship in your shots. For me this adds interest and also makes it obvious that this was taken at sea. I need to try to remember this for my own photos. Since I am rarely out and about at sunrise though, my shots are mainly of sunsets!!

• Like 5

A little different but still

In Maine the cruise season started today.  In Bar Harbor they have changed the rules so ships have to anchor behind an island so can't be seen from shore.  However, the news showed a picture of where / how ships used to dock - AND that picture was of Serentiy

• Like 7

..."In Bar Harbor they have changed the rules so ships have to anchor behind an island so can't be seen from shore." 

@ctjon this made me kind of laugh! So Bar Harbor is happy for the ship's passengers and crew to come and spend in their shops and restaurants but they don't want to see where we came from!!!  Do they think cruise ships are ugly and marring their views for the day?  

I dunno, it just struck me as odd! 🤷‍♂️

~Nancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

..."In Bar Harbor they have changed the rules so ships have to anchor behind an island so can't be seen from shore." 

@ctjon this made me kind of laugh! So Bar Harbor is happy for the ship's passengers and crew to come and spend in their shops and restaurants but they don't want to see where we came from!!!  Do they think cruise ships are ugly and marring their views for the day?  

I dunno, it just struck me as odd! 🤷‍♂️

~Nancy

Actually there is an effort to eliminate ships at all from visiting.  They are going to limit size of ships and number of passengers who can go on shore.  Who knows what will happen but I would think that revenue lost will eventually change some minds.  Who knows

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Actually there is an effort to eliminate ships at all from visiting.  They are going to limit size of ships and number of passengers who can go on shore.  Who knows what will happen but I would think that revenue lost will eventually change some minds.  Who knows

“Time will tell!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Today's sunrise is on land but during a cruise.  It's from my 2014 MS Amsterdam voyage from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale, and apparently on April 16 Amsterdam docked quite early in Mindelo, Cape Verde:

dawn0416.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, ctjon said:

A little different but still

In Maine the cruise season started today.  In Bar Harbor they have changed the rules so ships have to anchor behind an island so can't be seen from shore.  However, the news showed a picture of where / how ships used to dock - AND that picture was of Serentiy

On 4/15/2022 at 10:25 AM, ctjon said:

Well, this is a bit concerning to me.  I'm booked for Bar Harbor twice this summer,  The one in May is on Adventure of the Seas, the biggest ship I see booked there.  The other is QM2, significantly larger physically but a thousand passengers less.  I've been to Bar Harbor many times and wouldn't be crushed if they ended up elsewhere but it is what it is.  No real plans for Adventure but hoping to get to the Congregational Church from QM2 and wondering  how much time the additional distance will add to the tendering time.

Roy

Anne Marie has been making these cakes for Easter every year starting in 1986 other than when we were on a cruise on Easter.

Each time she makes the cake, the bunny gets eaten but a new one shows up the following year.  Go figure.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.aa59529b7e40f731a50d1e055268f56e.jpeg

For those of you who celebrate Easter and/or Passover; Happy Easter and Happy Passover.

Keith

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1