The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

2 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Something got me thinking about my 2009 Baltics cruise aboard Symphony, so I pulled up these photos. AAAAHHHH the memories! I think this was my favorite cruise of all time. I did this cruise with my mother, who was absolutely gobsmacked that she actually got to stand in Red Square in Moscow. It was something she never thought was even in the realm of possibilities, given that she'd grown up with the Cold War, and her only exposure to Red Square had been in spy movies.

Mom is now 87 and on hospice. I'm so happy I got to give her the trip of a lifetime with this cruise, back when she was still able to travel.

First pic: Mom and our guide standing in Red Square.

Second pic: Mom at dinner on Formal Night, sitting between the two Gentleman Hosts (is that what they were called?) She'd been a widow for many years at this point, and she was thoroughly enjoying having two handsome gents showering her with attention!

Third pic: Me in the Connoisseur Club, enjoying the one and only cigar I have ever smoked in my life.

Fourth pic: the midnight sun while at sea. Not sure if this qualifies as a sunrise or sunset...this is as low as it got!

P1100284.jpg

P1080133.jpg

baltics2.jpg

P1080135.jpg

This is such a nice memory to share with us and to also carry with you over a lifetime and how special you did this for your Mom.

Wonderful.

Keith

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

This is such a nice memory to share with us and to also carry with you over a lifetime and how special you did this for your Mom.

Wonderful.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I used to take my Mom on a lot of cruises. And land based trips as well. I used to tell her it was to pay her back for what a horrible teenager I was. 

After every trip I would ask her “Am I done yet?” And she would always answer “Hell no! You were a really rotten teenager! Where are we going next?” 

I admit I was pretty bad. 😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Well, we're hard upon the Memorial Day weekend here in the US, a day of solemn remembrance. The traditional start of summer. After that however means one thing: 

Hot spatchcock summer!

I exaggerate, I'm on my third squashed bird of the season.

To be followed by my second batch of no-churn chocolate ice cream.  The Chez is rocking.

Also: RIP Tina Turner.  She deserved to live forever(although she is immortal.)

Let us rock:

Dayum.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Also: RIP Tina Turner.  She deserved to live forever(although she is immortal.)

Let us rock:

Dayum.

Dayum indeed. This is a tough loss. She was an icon. The story of how a middle-aged Black woman managed to pierce through the muck of most 1980s pop music to become a global superstar is truly inspiring. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gimlet Eyes Logan said:

Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?

Not one of my favorite Beatles songs and for those of you who know I love the Beatles I do love most of their songs.

My response to the earlier post is certainly a Beatles Classic.

LET IT BE

And I do love The Beatles.

• Haha 1

Life was not meant to cruise solely on the high seas, but also by land and rail… (enter @rafinmd

I was fortunate to travel from Denver-Oakland this week aboard 3 privately-owned railroad cars tacked on the rear of Amtrak’s California Zephyr, complete with our own chef and service staff. A beautiful trip through the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevadas. 

IMG_0421.webp

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Life was not meant to cruise solely on the high seas, but also by land and rail… (enter @rafinmd

I was fortunate to travel from Denver-Oakland this week aboard 3 privately-owned railroad cars tacked on the rear of Amtrak’s California Zephyr, complete with our own chef and service staff. A beautiful trip through the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevadas. 

IMG_0421.webp

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

I would love to be able to do that sometime.  I have been on trains with private cars attached.  Is the Union Station the one in Denver?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I would love to be able to do that sometime.  I have been on trains with private cars attached.  Is the Union Station the one in Denver?

Roy

Yes, Denver Union Station. The city has done an amazing job transforming the building into a combo retail/restaurant/transit/rail facility. I was able to take their excellent light rail system direct from the airport to Union Station. In addition, the luxury railroad-themed Crawford Hotel occupies the space and was an enjoyable, as well as convenient, experience. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

@BEAV I'm with Roy on loving this private rail car thing!  Was it really a private trip or is this offered to the public at times?  

~Nancy

The owners of private railroad cars charter them out to interested parties/groups. The persons/groups chartering have carte blanche to make the trips private or public. 
The trip I took was only a 36-hour segment of an 8-day Chicago-West Coast-Chicago trip. 

Here’s a couple websites to explore what’s out there…

https://www.aaprco.com/

https://www.luxurytrainclub.com/

I’m sure there are others, but that’ll get you started. And don’t forget Google is your best friend! 😉

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Hmmm, seems our very own @BEAV is a closet oligarch.

No more friends and family discount at the Chez for you then.  Full freight, and you better order the lobster.

EZ does it there, Chef Boyardee.

I mortgaged my condo to take the trip, so send me promo codes for discounts at The Chez. And put me down for imitation crab, not lobster….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BEAV said:

The owners of private railroad cars charter them out to interested parties/groups. The persons/groups chartering have carte blanche to make the trips private or public. 
The trip I took was only a 36-hour segment of an 8-day Chicago-West Coast-Chicago trip. 

Here’s a couple websites to explore what’s out there…

https://www.aaprco.com/

https://www.luxurytrainclub.com/

I’m sure there are others, but that’ll get you started. And don’t forget Google is your best friend! 😉

EZ does it there, Chef Boyardee.

I mortgaged my condo to take the trip, so send me promo codes for discounts at The Chez. And put me down for imitation crab, not lobster….

OK, alright,  your Friend of the Chez status is restored(it was never revoked, you know that.)

Speaking of crab, have you noticed the price of the stuff lately?  From Alaska King to Chesapeake Bay soft shell, it's hard to make a buck serving that stuff.

And, back here on earth, my char grilled flattened chicken turned out very, very well.  Not a single order came back to the kitchen tonight. 

• Like 2

Well it's not a cruise but bags were packed and now unpacked for a special weekend in a house built like a villa at a vineyard for a family celebration.   

The town is the same as a famous city in Italy.

Oh and before I forget.

Bags are packed. Ready to go.  Can't wait

Keith

Unknown.jpeg.5932b97eb55b93d64d876eb7cb180c71.jpeg

the-vineyard-at-florence.thumb.jpg.a4a20760aa09b48df1561669d16ee54d.jpgthe-vineyard-at-florence-1.thumb.jpg.4b74bb0cf0b08c98b92deb3bf1005640.jpg

• Like 4

@Keith1010 that winery looks like if Texas and Napa had a baby!  I was just up in Calistoga (Napa Valley) for a few days last week and it was so peaceful and nice for a change of scenery.  I had a balcony on my room overlooking the hills and I felt a little bit of that cruise ship veranda vibe!  Yes, there was wine and cheese involved.  😁🍷

~Nancy

• Like 4

@oakridger

Nancy...Your experience last week sounds wonderful.

You are also right.........

Our current get-away is a cross of Texas and Napa.  This is a unique property and a short drive from home.

Further away, around 75 minutes from home in the Hill Country is a unique town of many B&B's and several vineyards.  The actual buildings have characteristics of Napa.  I suspect it includes some investors from Napa/Sonoma plus other. The local wine is getting better with each passing year but not nearly as good as California Wine.

A nice get-away for us as we look forward to sailing new Crystal which to me is analogous with wine. A mix of "old world" (aka Old Crystal) with "new world" (aka New Crystal).

Keith

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BEAV said:

IMG_0421.webp

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

That sounds like an amazing experience. I would love to do it that way.

• Like 1