Additional experts join WTTC Carnival Summit

jimbo5544

2 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Would be interesting to know if anyone on the CDC board or whatever group they use to make decisions on whether cruise ships sail or not has ever been on a cruise!

Well, I am not sure, but I AM sure they have options on cruise ships.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Would be interesting to know if anyone on the CDC board or whatever group they use to make decisions on whether cruise ships sail or not has ever been on a cruise!

Viruses don't know whether they are on a cruise ship or on land.

• Like 2

I was merely wondering if any of them even had been on a cruise ship to be qualified to make decisions as to whether or not they are safe to sail. As a comparison, I wouldn’t want someone who has NEVER  performed surgery to operate on me!  If none of them have never cruised, how do they even know what goes on. Most of the comments I have seen that they’ve made don’t sound like any of them have ever been on a cruise ship. 

And NO, viruses don’t know whether they are on land or sea. Still don’t understand how Disney and Universal can open, just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

The answer is a definite Yes.

Several people (directly with CDC) on several committees have personally been on, and enjoyed, cruise vacations.

Note: I am not one of those people I mention here.

9 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

Still don’t understand how Disney and Universal can open, just my opinion.

The CDC can compel ships to not sail, however, CDC guidelines are only suggestions to the states. Theme parks are open at the pleasure of the Governors. In California all theme parks remain closed. 

9 hours ago, Moviela said:

The CDC can compel ships to not sail, however, CDC guidelines are only suggestions to the states. Theme parks are open at the pleasure of the Governors. In California all theme parks remain closed. 

I am not aware of other states where they are closed.  

Seems like the group is heavy on the medical/epidemiological side, and light on the engineering/practical side.  They will hear a lot about what is necessary or desired, but not a lot about what is attainable.  Would have thought they would have included some naval architects, marine engineers, and system/equipment manufacturers, as well as regulatory bodies like class society.

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Seems like the group is heavy on the medical/epidemiological side, and light on the engineering/practical side.  They will hear a lot about what is necessary or desired, but not a lot about what is attainable.  Would have thought they would have included some naval architects, marine engineers, and system/equipment manufacturers, as well as regulatory bodies like class society.

And those in the type of position you represent will be asked to do the impossible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thought the same thing when I saw the “new” attendees”. It seems to be more of an overview to get the clients amenable to cruising again vs what the cruise line needs to do.... interesting.  

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thought the same thing when I saw the “new” attendees”. It seems to be more of an overview to get the clients amenable to cruising again vs what the cruise line needs to do.... interesting.  

I thought about, but didn't want to be Carnival bashing, the exact same thing, that this is more for PR and appearance than any productive outcome.  Will see what RCI/NCL panel comes out with, possibly more of the same.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And those in the type of position you represent will be asked to do the impossible.

Yes, this is like the CDC's VSP, which put the CDC and cruise line people together to get what is required/desired from the science side, and what is attainable, in the real world, to meet those requirements.  The measures required make life hard, but the equipment suppliers and ship designers, and maintenance engineers worked to find ways to meet these needs.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I thought about, but didn't want to be Carnival bashing, the exact same thing, that this is more for PR and appearance than any productive outcome.  Will see what RCI/NCL panel comes out with, possibly more of the same.

Yes, this is like the CDC's VSP, which put the CDC and cruise line people together to get what is required/desired from the science side, and what is attainable, in the real world, to meet those requirements.  The measures required make life hard, but the equipment suppliers and ship designers, and maintenance engineers worked to find ways to meet these needs.

And I have faith in you and your colleagues, but they are not going to make it easy for you.

1 hour ago, clambert1273 said:

It was really good to watch & listen to them, was actually fascinating

As previously mentioned when the politics were removed, the discussion was more specific and informative.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

As previously mentioned when the politics were removed, the discussion was more specific and informative.

agreed and I learned some things & changed my opinion on others.. I would really like them to do this again

• Like 1