Updated Peace of Mind

kismet618

On 7/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, julig22 said:

FCC.  The 60 days for final payment doesn't apply to 2021 cruises.

But to kinda answer that question, prior to the implementation of POM in March, there was a short period where NCL changed final payment to 90 days - and it appears that the final payment date and cancellation date weren't actually linked.  A person posted that they had paid in full, then decided to cancel assuming the 90 days.  They were assessed the 25% penalty for early cancellation.  So it pays to read (and have a printed copy) of the T&Cs & cancellation policies in effect at the time you book, make your final payment, cancel your cruise....

This happened to me, they changed my final payment date to April for my July cruise (in early March) and then a week later changed the final payment date back to March.  When I called to complain they told me that I could have the extra 30 days to pay in full but if I decided not to go, I would lose my deposit.  I did not like the way they kept switching things up and with no notice so I just cancelled and got my money back.  

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Same here. But we are way off point which is that for December bookings reserved with cash deposits, NCL can now keep that cash for 60 days longer. I suggest that this is a smart move financially as the majority of bookings and likely all 1st time cruisers deposit cash. Who does and doesn't use CN is irrelevant to this topic.

Shows how people perceive things differently.  If you are team glass half empty, you'd be better off just cancelling your December booking now and NCL doesn't get to keep anything.  If you are team glass half full, you keep your reservation and YOU (not NCL) get to keep the balance for an additional 60 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Shows how people perceive things differently.  If you are team glass half empty, you'd be better off just cancelling your December booking now and NCL doesn't get to keep anything.  If you are team glass half full, you keep your reservation and YOU (not NCL) get to keep the balance for an additional 60 days.

Agree. It also shows me that it is a wise business decision by NCL, which was the original point made. I would imagine the glass half full population is dwindling fast, though, unless it is being approached solely with emotion and not facts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, kismet618 said:

I live on Long Island and am grateful that Cuomo and the Legislature took the necessary steps that got us out of those horrible early days. With the current 14 day mandatory quarantine from 34 states and Puerto Rico in place, and the potential for more hot spots around the country in the ensuing months, where are all of these potential NY cruisers going to hold up for 2 weeks in NYC prior to boarding?

Sorry it's been so long.  Actually opening up a few pieces of business up here.  I did not say when, I just thought, and still think, NYC will go first.  First, for the reason's mentioned initially, and now there is growing pressure to reopen NYC.  Obviously we are all launching spit balls here but the North East took it hard while the sunbelt and Florida will in relatively great shape.  The north east got through the worst of it then the sunbelt too a hit.  Given NYC positivity rate today, vs Miami or Tampa, etc.  That's what I am looking at, just my optics from my little ole homestead

On 7/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, DCGuy64 said:

"Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere."

Not trying to be rude, but you know this isn't correct, right? It's a rather sweeping statement, wouldn't you agree?

If anything, the news shows that more and more things are opening up, which is the opposite of everything getting cancelled.

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

Sadly you are mistaken  Greece is starting to close down 

6 hours ago, bmwman said:

Sadly you are mistaken  Greece is starting to close down 

Actually I’m not. The MSC Grandiosa just departed Genoa today. I’m afraid you are the mistaken one. My point was that sailing would resume and it has. 

to trimone: while i would never try and second guess someone in the industry, just remember, booking a cruise isnt the same as paying for the entire voyage, if you book less than a suite, it's about $125. if its later in 2021 or 2022, you have loads of time to pay it off, and if things get even worse you have along time to cancel and get your deposit back. we're booked for a cruise next march and one next july. just have my fingers crossed.

No, I was booking the epic out of Barcelona late August/September next year, Haven Spa, good value if it works out

I believe there was an major industry Zoom meeting last Wednesday/Thursday, all the major players involved, RCCL NCL CCL, etc, he was in attendance.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:40 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Actually I’m not. The MSC Grandiosa just departed Genoa today. I’m afraid you are the mistaken one. My point was that sailing would resume and it has. 

MSC Cruises says family denied reboarding after they broke COVID-19 'social bubble'

https://news.yahoo.com/msc-cruises-says-family-denied-173348350.html

Looks like the "cruise resumption" you are celebrating will short-lived. Cruising is just not feasible for now. If NCL survives at all, it won't cruise until later into 2021, at best.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, PelicanBill said:

My conclusion is many people are canceling just before final payment. As I did. They are trying to keep the bookings they have. The longer the uncertainty the more people will cancel and avoid new bookings... so these actions are meant to retain bookings and provide some safety net on new ones.

I hope they extend final payment deadlines if November and/or December sailings get canceled. I am booked for Feb. 28 and not sure I will send final payment end of October if the restart is not happening.

Agree, we are booked for beginning of March and will cancel right before final payment if they do not extend final payment. We really want to do the cruise but can't invest that kind of money on possibility they might cruise....ours is a 12 day with a lot of perks. To much money to risk.

A question. I booked a late January 2021 (7 day) cruise with FCC from a cancelled March 2020 cruise. It was at 125% FCC and offered 20% off a booking made within a two week period in April. It also included $200 OBC, but that may have been part of the promotion at the time and not part of the cancellation. The final payment is due in October, but is just a portion of the drink gratuities ($138), everything else was covered by the FCC. I am very doubtful that this cruise will happen, but at this time figure I might at well let them cancel - would only get FCC back anyway, not cash. Know I could eliminate the final payment amount by removing the drink package so wouldn't be giving them any more dollars. Guessing if cruising does start it will be shorter cruises, not 7 day.

For those who have had them cancel the replacement cruise booked with FCC - do you get the full 125% back as FCC or the original amount paid - 0nly 100% back as FCC. If I cancel this cruise prior to sailing (peace of mind) do I keep the 125% or only get the 100%. I know I would lose the perks, OBC and 20% off sale - which is a bummer since prices have risen like crazy. What I paid $2000 now is now over $3000 with fewer perks and no OBC.