Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

My latest webcam capture is indeed showing QM2. It's from QM2's 2023 World Voyage.

Ah, okay.  I had indeed gone down the wrong rabbit hole in Canada.  But by digging a lot deeper in that hole and emerging on the opposite side of the world, I found a match to Le Port Reunion, although more precisely QM2 appears to be in the area called La Possession on google maps.  The two round storage tanks adjacent to the pier appear to be the Dépot de Charbon Albioma.

I'm guessing the webcam is located on the hills on the south side of the Riviere des Galets, perhaps somewhere along the D2 Chemin Lambert road?  

Good challenge, thanks @bluemarble!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sfred said:

Ah, okay.  I had indeed gone down the wrong rabbit hole in Canada.  But by digging a lot deeper in that hole and emerging on the opposite side of the world, I found a match to Le Port Reunion, although more precisely QM2 appears to be in the area called La Possession on google maps.  The two round storage tanks adjacent to the pier appear to be the Dépot de Charbon Albioma.

I'm guessing the webcam is located on the hills on the south side of the Riviere des Galets, perhaps somewhere along the D2 Chemin Lambert road?  

That's correct. The webcam is showing the cruise port for Le Port, Reunion which is actually located just a few miles to the east of Le Port at La Possession.

Those two round storage tanks are interesting in that they are recent additions and so don't show up on some older stock photos of the port. They are apparently inflatable storage tanks to hold biomass for the Albioma power plant which is in the process of converting from burning "charbon" to biomass.

The camera is a bit to the north of the Riviere des Galets within the community of Pichette.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, sfred said:

Ah…the second port. The two tanks give it away. The greenery around the webcam image through me off too vs the more industrial look of the port La Possession. They have Rue Jesse Owens near the port, nice.
Great catch @sfred  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Could it be Le Havre? It looks suitably concretey.

Yes, that is Le Havre. Here's another view captured a couple minutes earlier making it more obvious it's Le Havre by including the prominent tower of Saint Joseph's Church in the view. I left the date stamp on this one in the upper left showing it's from QM2's most recent call at Le Havre on September 3rd.

WhereintheWorld(150a).thumb.jpg.fd7aef128cc49f49fe0b96f7f92de12e.jpg

• Like 5

The wide tree-lined street in the first webcam is Avenue Foch, named for Ferdinand Foch, Marshal of France.  The French Navy also named an aircraft carrier in his honour, the second Clemenceau-class carrier that served from 1963 to 2000.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfred said:

The wide tree-lined street in the first webcam is Avenue Foch, named for Ferdinand Foch, Marshal of France.  The French Navy also named an aircraft carrier in his honour, the second Clemenceau-class carrier that served from 1963 to 2000.

There is also a hybrid red wine grape named Marechal Foch, developed in Alsace in the early 20th Century.  It first showed up on this side of the Atlantic around 1946 and is fairly widely planted in parts of Canada, since it tends to be cold-hardy.

• Like 1

Let's try this one. Here's a webcam capture showing part of a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before. There may be enough detail here to help identify this port. At least it's not as inscrutable as some of the webcam images I've posted in the past.

WhereintheWorld(153).thumb.jpg.bdb99acfd7ad1bad0c38f635072a4b6d.jpg

Edited by bluemarble

Just now, bluemarble said:

No, just a comment that this webcam image provides more clues than some of the others I've posted such as those with distant views of the ship seen from a fairly nondescript beach.

That’s a shame. I was hoping it might be Helsingør, though it does look like it.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. Here's a webcam capture showing part of a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before. There may be enough detail here to help identify this port. At least it's not as inscrutable as some of the webcam images I've posted in the past.

WhereintheWorld(153).thumb.jpg.bdb99acfd7ad1bad0c38f635072a4b6d.jpg

Alesund

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dranuc2016 said:

Clues are in the image make this so that even for a beginner like me can figure it out.

I have never been here, but Ålesund, Norway

The small ferry in the foreground gives it away.

9 minutes ago, sogne said:

Alesund

That's correct. The image is from QM2's most recent call there on 29 August 2023.

Welcome to our game, @Dranuc2016. Always good to see a new name contributing to this very long-lived thread.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dranuc2016 said:

Clues are in the image make this so that even for a beginner like me can figure it out.

I have never been here, but Ålesund, Norway

The small ferry in the foreground gives it away.

My welcome also, @Dranuc2016.

The Freia clock on the building is another good clue.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NE John said:

A view of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from a new residential loft right across the street from the Terminal. 
This may be a first time view of a very seen port!

Thanks @NE John.  Is that a live webcam that can observe the terminal activity, or a single photo?