Crew Restructuring Changes (From A Crewmember) via The Safe Healthy Plans at Royal & NCL

julesbeara

On 9/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, julesbeara said:
No more electronics/entertainment electrician. No longer sr. repairman position.

As a tech, I can't see them eliminating this position on large ships.  Maybe on small ones, but not on big ships.  The Electronics Engineer is an extremely busy and important position.

• Like 1

I received the information I posted, and started this thread after hearing from a Restaurant Manager named Wendel Peter, that is losing his job.  He was scheduled to return Adventure of the Seas in June, and is now being laid-off, or will need to find a new position on ship.  He is waiting for options that will be available once the CDC order is lifted.  We've known him for 20 years.  I trust what he tells me, as this is having a major impact financial on this family.

Let's hope the order is lifted soon, and they can all return to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, Doug S said:

Space in crew quarters and unused passenger cabins could allow some distancing with crew living arrangements.

Which, if I'm remembering correctly, was a major contributor to the covid19 spreads on cruise ships in Jan, Feb, and early March. 

As far as reduced service, there's no way that any cruise line who has endured the stoppage over the last (soon to be) 9 months is going to have bad service once they start sailing.  They've got some revenue to create.  I can see them "rewarding" crew members with some of the larger empty cabins based on their performance.  I always thought the the crew members' quarters were inhumane-leaning.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:59 PM, chengkp75 said:

I don't see any indication that the Healthy Sail Panel is leading to a merger.  The CDC wanted a united front from the lines, and the panel gave that.  The panel's report is a set of recommendations, where, if adopted, each cruise line is required to make a company specific action/response plan that incorporates these recommendations into concrete, precise actions.  This crew restructuring, if accurate, is likely one cruise line's plan for crew, but there is no indication that it is for both lines, even though the panel is headed by both lines.

At least it shows that the two groups are collaborating. If and how their collaboration will prolong if at all we will see going forward.

A merger is unlikely unless this drags on to the point it is the only option or possible outcome.  Even then acquiring more ships, some old and small plus all the debt and obligations of the failed company may not be the smart play at this time.  If any one line was to fail or reach a point it couldn't continue for business reasons the other lines may just watch it disappear knowing it thins out the competition and number of ships competing for ports and berths down the road.

The individuals leading the large cruise lines are very large characters in the cruising industry.  They didn't get where they are with a goal of selling and walking away with a fat bank account.  They are where they are because they have a passion for the industry and none of them desire to move onto something else.   It's likely they'll fight to the bitter end trying to keep their baby alive.

If a line was to fail that represents opportunity for the others to acquire their customer base both established and potential consumers since that line wouldn't be around any more.  That opportunity would exist without spending hundreds of millions in the process also acquiring massive debt and credit obligations that would come with a merger or acquisition.  

• Thanks 1