Celebrity sign up promo code "BIRTHDAY" is a ruse...AKA Celebrity hoax

ChucktownSteve

Well I signed up for Celebrity email promos.  What a hoax.  They say to use the promo code "Birthday" for up to $200 obc however when my TA request it be applied to my January sailing, she was told that it doesn't apply to the new ships Edge and Apex.  Don't waste your time.  Just another case of dangling the carrot and finding ways to keep you from using it.  Why would the new ships be restricted from the birthday gift?

Birthday Savings offer applies to new bookings on 4-night or longer Celebrity cruises or Cruisetours, excluding sailings on new ships; Celebrity Edge & Celebrity Apex, and Galapagos sailings. Promo code is Birthday.

First line says where its valid.  Its marketing 101, no one bothers reading details just assume it applies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Birthday Savings offer applies to new bookings on 4-night or longer Celebrity cruises or Cruisetours, excluding sailings on new ships; Celebrity Edge & Celebrity Apex, and Galapagos sailings. Promo code is Birthday.

First line says where its valid.  Its marketing 101, no one bothers reading details just assume it applies.  

There are plenty of us who read the details... old occupational habit. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

There are plenty of us who read the details... old occupational habit. 😉

Very true, I do stand corrected The marketing is meant to catch the ones who do not.  If it seems to easy to get there usually is a catch.  I tend to read, and reread any kind of to "good to be true catches". 

True the T&C are at the bottom of the email in 7.5 pt type which I can't read even with my glasses. 

10.5pt type

As a welcome gift, please enjoy a special discount of up to $200 off your next new sailing with us. We'd love to help you celebrate your next birthday or any other special occasion.

To redeem this offer, simply give us a call at
1-888-283-8993, or contact your travel advisor, and mention promo code "BIRTHDAY".

7.5pt type

*Promo code is required to get this offer: Birthday.
Birthday Savings offer applies to new bookings on 4-night or longer Celebrity cruises or Cruisetours, excluding sailings on new ships; Celebrity Edge & Celebrity Apex, and Galapagos sailings. Promo code is Birthday. Savings amounts are per stateroom and based on stateroom category: $50 ocean view, $100 veranda Concierge Class or AquaClass, and $200 Suites. Cruise must be booked 60 days upon receiving the offer. Cruise departure date cannot be within 90 days or final payment. To redeem Offer, contact your travel agent or Celebrity Cruises. Birthday offer recipient must be included in the cruise reservation to qualify for the offer. Offer applies to new individual bookings. All offers are non-transferable and applicable only to the Offer Cruise. Offer is combinable with the Celebrity brand offers. Offer is not combinable with Non Refundable Deposit Offers, Exciting Deals, Interline, Net, Travel Agent, or Employee Rates. Offer is in USD, applicable to United States and Canada residents only. No refunds or credits will be granted for unused options. Offer and prices are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and not applicable to charters or contracted groups. Single occupancy bookings are eligible for the Offer. Changes to booking may result in removal of Offer. Refer to celebritycruises.com and the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Celebrity reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time, correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

True the T&C are at the bottom of the email in 7.5 pt type which I can't read even with my glasses. 

All popular browsers and email apps enable you to increase the font size quickly and easily to match your needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Well I signed up for Celebrity email promos.  What a hoax.  They say to use the promo code "Birthday" for up to $200 obc however when my TA request it be applied to my January sailing, she was told that it doesn't apply to the new ships Edge and Apex.  Don't waste your time.  Just another case of dangling the carrot and finding ways to keep you from using it.  Why would the new ships be restricted from the birthday gift?

You should thank them.

They doing you a favor if that keeps you from sailing on the Edge and Apex.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Haha 1