Joy vs Breakaway??

Topdog52

We sailed on both in 2019.  Enjoyed both, but much preferred the Joy.  I was trying to figure out why and other then we just liked the Joy much more.  Maybe it was crew? Itinerary?  I would sail on the Joy again in a heartbeat!  (I realize not much "concrete" information from me!)  Either one would be a pleasant cruise.

We have sailed twice on the Breakaway and once on the Joy.  If the itineraries are similar, I would recommend the Joy.  The forward observation lounge is a great place to hang out, especially when there's something to see like the glaciers in Alaska.  The Joy also has the go-kart track, if you're into that sort of thing.  The Joy is a bit larger, several years newer, and has more to offer.  About the only thing you'll be missing is the spa.  The Joy was built for the Asian market, and a spa wasn't a priority.  Trying to retrofit all the pools and plumbing needed for the spa just didn't work, so they left it off when the ship was refurbished for the American market.

We have sailed on the Joy once and the BA around 6 times. The Joy is a better ship with more features. The Joy was also upgraded for the Alaskan market so it would be more comfortable if it is cool/cold. Large inside observation lounge. Heated dining areas outside. Heated pools and water features. 

42 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

the forward Observation Lounge is really a Special Place, I think the Bliss has it also??

Joy, Bliss, and Encore all have a forward-facing Observation Lounge for all....

43 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

but in the Haven on the Bliss, it has its special observation lounge, sooo nice and uncrowded.

...the same 3 also have a Haven-only Horizon lounge that is a forward-facing Observation Lounge. 

Thank you for this information.  We looked at both the Joy and Breakaway sailing out of New York next Oct and decided on Breakaway due to the itinerary. Our TA tried to sway us to Joy because it was newer and full of more things, but the ports of call was much more important for this cruise!  BTW, I like the info on the "larger aft facing cabins", that's what we got!

1 hour ago, BIBPhotography said:

BTW, I like the info on the "larger aft facing cabins", that's what we got!

Balcony depth varies by depth (depending on deck) and by width (depending on bed location) for the aft-facing balcony staterooms. The actual interior size is pretty much the same.

• 1 year later...