The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, Renmar said:

My searches suggest it is in Munich at  a "Schloss". I have not found out exactly where though.

Theo

You have the city correct. It is not a castle though. I looked up Schloss and I don't think it fits the definition.

Edited by Coral

The coat of arms - the Münchner Kindl in it of course - of Munich on a gate or above a gateway. It looks Gothic, but the whole scene makes me think it is neo-Gothic, so after 1850.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

2 hours ago, Coral said:

It is a prominent building but probably not the most scenic part of the exterior.

Oh, you are one clever lady!! Had me flummoxed for awhile.

No kidding - prominent indeed & definitely not the most noteworthy part of the exterior. Mistress of the understatement. 😂

Came back to this after dinner with an idea & I was right - I have seen this many times.

Edited by dogs4fun

15 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Oh, you are one clever lady!! Had me flummoxed for awhile.

No kidding - prominent indeed & definitely not the most noteworthy part of the exterior. Mistress of the understatement. 😂

Came back to this after dinner with an idea & I was right - I have seen this many times.

Actually - I fooled myself. I didn't immediately recognize where it was but my iPhone has it tagged in Photos. After further investigation - I realized I shouldn't question my iPhone!

It is somewhat prominent, right?? 😇  I swear that I missed probably the coolest thing about this building. I only spent one day here.

Hey - don't send me any snow!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Coral said:

Actually - I fooled myself. I didn't immediately recognize where it was but my iPhone has it tagged in Photos. After further investigation - I realized I shouldn't question my iPhone!

It is somewhat prominent, right?? 😇  I swear that I missed probably the coolest thing about this building. I only spent one day here.

Hey - don't send me any snow!!

It is beneath the Munich Glockenspiel. Here's a pic even more "uncropped"

DSC04279.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, acwmom said:

It is beneath the Munich Glockenspiel. Here's a pic even more "uncropped"

DSC04279.JPG

Great job Robin! I was looking for Town Hall or New Town Hall. You were even more descriptive. 

I tried to give the clue that it was not the most famous part of the building (Munich Glockenspiel) and dogs4fun got it.

When looking through my pictures - I didn't realize at first that it was part of this building until I saw the label my iPhone gave me for it!

Edited by Coral

41 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

That vessel appears to be a gondola. Perhaps one of the islands in the Venetian Lagoon? If so, no idea which canal is pictured.

It is a gondola, but not in Venice, or Italy, for that matter.

16 minutes ago, acwmom said:

It is a gondola, but not in Venice, or Italy, for that matter.

Tricky photo - fooled me. 😉

Well then ... the only other place that I have ever seen gondola rides offered is in New Orleans (there are probably many other places as well). 

Have absolutely no idea where your photo was taken. Will await identification from others more knowledgeable than I. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Tricky photo - fooled me. 😉

Well then ... the only other place that I have ever seen gondola rides offered is in New Orleans (there are probably many other places as well). 

Have absolutely no idea where your photo was taken. Will await identification from others more knowledgeable than I. 🙂

You were on the right continent the first time😁

To me it looks like a park with gondola rides offered, kind of reminds me of Dessau/Wörlitz photos.

But I will guess the Rhone, it looks more French than German, a bit like what I have seen about Lyon on television.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Oh my, just did a quick Google search. Gondola rides are offered all over the world - in the US (NY, Boston, CA, NOLA), Belgium, Germany, Turkey, Russia, Netherlands .... the list is endless. I had no clue.

Did you catch a ride? Curious to see where your photo was taken.

Edited by dogs4fun

51 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

To me it looks like a park with gondola rides offered, kind of reminds me of Dessau/Wörlitz photos.

But I will guess the Rhone, it looks more French than German, a bit like what I have seen about Lyon on television.

notamermaid

Not French...

13 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I am probably way off base but I just had a thought...

There is a “Little Venice” in Bamberg - are gondola cruises offered on the Regnitz?

It looks like those in Bamberg! I like that someone stumped you for a few minutes 🙂