The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

It looks like a Cheburek because it is one! Excellent. That's the less controversial part; I'm sure the origin is in dispute and would depend on who you ask. 

Now, where is it from, and where would I have had it while visiting a city where there are river cruises? The last sentence of my second paragraph is an attempt at a clue. The Turks would have definitely had contact with the people who claim to have originated this dish.

As an aside, they were delicious. I had an assortment of fillings. I guess that traditionally, they have meat but I had beef, lamb with mint, and a type of traditional cheese which I like but Chris hates.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Now, where is it from, and where would I have had it while visiting a city where there are river cruises?

I have never seen nor heard of this particular dish (odd because they must have been on the menu in some restaurants that I visited in Russia) & I never would have guessed Cheburek but thanks to @Renmar & an assist from Mr. Google, I am fairly confident that I know where you had the dish.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Kyiv it is!

Anyone want to take a crack at where these delicious treats are from? The clue is that we may or may not have been in the same country, depending on whom you ask... We ate at a restaurant which (they said) served authentic food from this region, so I believe them.

The traditional cheese that I had in my third cheburek is Bryndza. It's a sheep's milk cheese that has a very robust flavor. I love it in my potato-cheese pierogi but Chris doesn't go for the flavor. It reminds me of Feta (which she doesn't like either), but stronger in flavor.

Yes, we had them at a Crimean restaurant. 

As you know, Crimea was gifted to Ukraine back when the gesture was essentially meaningless because it was all the USSR.  Now Russia took it back.

So we ate chebureki in Ukraine, while debating whether Crimea was Russian or Ukrainian. I'm sure that you know Chris's opinion! 

We had visited Crimea on a Black Sea cruise in 2010 before the annexation. Beautiful landscapes and coasts. Hope to revisit some day but not sure when.or if that will happen.

@Coral got the location so should be the next poster?

Is the white condiment tartare sauce? Although the French version is the one behind the sauce popular these days, it is of Russian or thereabouts origin (it only refers to the Tatar people as the French found that a nice exotic word to describe the area of origin, according to a German online cookery site).

By the way, beef or lamb with mint in a dough reminds me of English pies.

notamermaid

Love that stuff. And it's pretty easy to make, now that the Austrian chef aboard our last SS cruise taught me a shortcut.

That version looks like they made it too neatly, by cooking the pancake and then cutting it up. Still tasty but takes much longer (for me), plus it dirties two pans and not one.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

I am an extremely 'picky' eater @Coral - I usually find slimy or mushy foods inedible (people usually can't believe that I don't like ice cream or mashed potatoes), preferring foods that are crunchy or crispy. My entire family thinks I am a pain in the *** as there are so many foods that I refuse to eat.  However, I will never starve as I LOVE sweets & food that is deep fat fried (poor arteries)! I enjoyed some delicious Kaiserschmarrn at a German restaurant - it was made with cherries and almonds (I don't like applesauce).

This food is a favorite of the denizens in this country - it comes in a seemingly endless variety of toppings. What is it & in which country did I find it?

crop.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

Is that a German Dutch Baby? Can't tell from the angle.

Sorry, not a German Dutch Baby (I actually don't know what you mean).

I had to severely crop the photo otherwise it would be too easy to identify with a Google search. I have only had it as a street food but it is also sold in restaurants. Street food is a huge clue - armed with the photo and "street food' you can easily find it with the assistance of Mr. Google.

It has nothing to do with Kaiserschmarrn - I just love sweets that feature cherry & nuts.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Looks yummy!

A crisp piece of thin dough topped with sliced almonds and some kind of confiture. What's not to like? Besides the glucose and insulin surge that would follow after eating it... 😉

I have tried to make a Dutch baby once but couldn't get it to rise enough. Now that I look at pictures online, I guess it's supposed to fall in the middle. Who knew?

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Dutch Baby - just found it online. Color me stupid - had never heard of it. But no, it is not Dutch Baby. This delectable little treat's bread is deep-fat fried.

In the US - I have found it at a San Francisco restaurant called Richard Walker.

I like eggy/yokey things. I love popovers.. 

I have made this a few times and it did turn out well.

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

Langos in Hungry? Budapest?

Yep - that's it. I just love the street food in Budapest – especially lángos &

kürtőskalács (especially those rolled in cinnamon and walnuts).

You're up!

BTW - I actually found Dutch Baby pancakes on a menu in Denver - who knew?

https://www.ophdenver.com/menu/

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yep - that's it. I just love the street food in Budapest – especially lángos &

kürtőskalács (especially those rolled in cinnamon and walnuts).

You're up!

BTW - I actually found Dutch Baby pancakes on a menu in Denver - who knew?

https://www.ophdenver.com/menu/

Cool!!!

We finally found a game I am good at (as you can tell I love food).. This is not my picture but I love it. II couldn't find one on my phone. This is probably easy as we have mentioned it previously on this board.

tarts.jpg.56ba765f9201b7d16db7f451dde6daf2.jpg

I think I know! But I have no food photo to follow this up with (enjoying this twist in the game on typical foods along rivers), so will leave it for the time being. These things are difficult to get where I live, I still have not tried one. Only the deep frozen variety is offered occasionally.

notamermaid

I'm pretty sure I know what this is as well, we have a bakery here that makes them.  

Like @notamermaid, I'm enjoying the various foods.  

Is this a Pastéis de Nata?  Douro River, Portugal? 

3 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I'm pretty sure I know what this is as well, we have a bakery here that makes them.  

Like @notamermaid, I'm enjoying the various foods.  

Is this a Pastéis de Nata?  Douro River, Portugal? 

Yes it is! I have only had the frozen variety in the states and honestly, I can't find them right now.

I had to steal this picture, but this is a food we grew up with.  Made for a certain time of year, if you can say what they are for, and what they are called , I'll accept it.  Bonus for the country, but like a lot of foods, they could be all over.  We always had them lightly dusted with powdered sugar.

670981e4a06fc24d33e561d4ac00520c.jpg