The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Don’t start that again it reminds me of our Seine cruise and the the bus tours with the boys remembering Hello Hello. Although my husbands German coligous   where hilarious doing parodies of hello hello.. DrWho is just as bad.

'Allo 'Allo ???  Good moaning...

Good moaning to you @Host Jazzbeau and congratulations, it is Viennese apple strudel. Good morning to all. Allo Allo brings me to my beloved Queenie of Blackadder fame, but the topic of custard reminds me of Private Baldrick's cooking in series four: do not eat that custard and do not ask for cappuccino...

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Is it Cafe Mozart’s version? CA

This custard on the plate was delectable. It is probably not that version. I cannot say as it was the desert on our ship, the Belvedere, on the day we were in Vienna. So the very good young chef likely put his own twist to it a bit. The food on the ship was good to excellent, every day with a regional twist - this apple strudel was excellent! Sweetness only from apples, great pastry and a very tasty light custard!

Over to you, Jazzbeau.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Is it a cod fritter of some kind like they make in Portugal? 

BTW I have 2 hours until lunch so these food pix are really not fair. I ate too many French fries on our trip out west last month so I'm trying to not overeat now. Doubly fun.

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

As in, quenelles?

Yes,  just a thought as it looks similar to the dish that my brother ordered in Lyon.  I really suck at identifying food - I am definitely not a foodie.

Edited by dogs4fun

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Coral that sacrilegious as bad as going to Vienna and not having Sachertourt at the Hotel Sacher. CA

Don't worry - I had plenty of dessert in Vienna. Just not all at the same time. 🙂 I did visit Hotel Sacher as well!

Vienna has some amazing food - I had no idea. My favorite is torn apple pancakes -  Kaiserschmarrn. I just got some peaches and will have to make @jpalbny's recipe. 

• Like 1

Yes!  @dogs4fun and @jpalbny it is Quenelles de brochet from Lyon, France.

Pike fish, pounded and sieved to remove the tiny bones, formed into dumplings and poached, served with white sauce.  Or in other words, 'Doctor Who's fish fingers with custard'...

Dogs had the city, JP had the dish – you fight it out for the next picture!

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I know better than to get in a dogfight...

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ooh, and I get to say:  I don't have a dog in this fight!!!

And remember, that dawg caint hunt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Please take it jpalbny - you correctly named the dish. More to the point, you have nice photos & I don’t have any ready to post.

Ok I will search in a bit and post before bedtime. 

Well this has been a super annoying exercise! I picked at least seven photos that I thought were worth posting and all of them were immediately identified by Big Brother (AKA Google). So in the end I went with another food picture. Oh well!

Name the dish and where it's from. There are probably a few correct answers to the latter question. I didn't eat them in the exact location from which they originate but perhaps it was the same country, depending on whom you talk to.

1873668504_CCPic41.thumb.jpg.ef203169f1184c65655f192b9a4b4ffe.jpg

PS we are not talking about the salad here!

Edited by jpalbny

It looks like some food we had in Istanbul during one of our ocean cruises. If I remember right it was called Cheburek, or something like that, and we were told that it is a traditional Turkish dish. As far as I know there are no river cruises that come even close to Istanbul. I wonder what the right answer will be.

Theo