The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

We were in Constanţa in 2010 on a Black Sea cruise. Very interesting place to visit. Some interesting architecture and museums. It was a little sketchy but we did wander some on our own.

Also visited the Danube Delta and Histria (another Roman ruin).

Would have never guessed the picture though! 

This is probably going to be an easy one but I am running out of options. Most of our travel pictures are from ocean cruising.

Where is this? I think it goes by different names. 

Theo

P1000091.thumb.JPG.33080c34bef17ce8f260e02e3b2bd3cf.JPG

Someone when it was first envisaged named it Isolation but because of why it is there Exposure is far more apt. It’s 25 mtrs tall and will slowly disappear beneath the sea with the rising levels. He’s an interesting guy. Trained at the Slade as I did three years before him (for a year) He has some of the most amazing installations. CA

If I may be so bold as to guess :classic_smile:: it is the Exposure statue at Lelystad coast, Flevoland, in the Netherlands. Used as a winter river cruise ship dock, by the way.

https://www.visitflevoland.nl/en/locaties/2833480082/land-art-exposure-anthony-gormley

Would not have guessed the Netherlands without any hints.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

If I may be so bold as to guess :classic_smile:: it is the Exposure statue at Lelystad coast, Flevoland, in the Netherlands. Used as a winter river cruise ship dock, by the way.

https://www.visitflevoland.nl/en/locaties/2833480082/land-art-exposure-anthony-gormley

Would not have guessed the Netherlands without any hints.

notamermaid

You got it @notamermaid, including de location, @dogs4fun & @Canal archive had all the build-up information so maybe they could be co-winner 🤔.

Theo

Thanks to you two. Good point, I really just started looking after the clue. @Canal archive, fancy posting another photo, prize offered by me to you?

Otherwise, I will go ahead with one late this evening.

Oops, sorry, is that alright with you @dogs4fun?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

45 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Go ahead I did have a slightly unfair advantage and I’m a bit of a nerd about his work. I cannot believe that the ‘pooping man’ is way taller than ‘the Angel of the North’ CA

Thanks. Deceptive sizes then. I would have though the Angel of the North was taller. It is frighteningly huge.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

First, an invitation to all out there who have recently become interested in river cruising or have just not participated yet. Guess with us to while away the time. Not been on a river cruise yet, cannot take the prize of next photo? You may be surprised how many photos from a land trip could work within the rules of this game. That museum in Berlin on your city trip five years ago, that harbour boat trip in Hamburg, that climb to that hilltop above that town on the Rhone, that stopover in Amsterdam airport, etc. Looking forward to reading new avatar names in this thread. :classic_smile:

No bridges or other structures from me this time. Instead, food! I am not a great photographer and this plate looks relatively unassuming. But here goes.

What place is associated with this dish? River and town please - and can you tell me what it is?:365383142_Urlaub009.thumb.JPG.8b42a693934629179d76b512bcbe831e.JPG

notamermaid

It is fruit, as Daisi said, but not a dish associated with a certain time of year. Not sure that the smelly vision would work with this one well, it is not strong, unless you get close with your nose. Tasty vision would give it away quite quickly. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Custard indeed. "Vanillesoße" for us. And raisins.

Well done. All the hints and clues are there.

Getting very close. And it is getting close to my bedtime. Anybody want to be announced winner tonight? 🙂

notamermaid

I'm going to guess Viennese Apple Strudel [or Wiener Apfelstrudel].

I misread notamermaid's description on the first pass and thought she said it was fish [instead of 'dish'] – and immediately thought of the Doctor Who episode where his regenerated body has a craving for fish sticks and custard...

https://aseatenontv.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/fish-fingers-and-custard-doctor-who/