The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

16 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I had to steal this picture, but this is a food we grew up with.  Made for a certain time of year, if you can say what they are for, and what they are called , I'll accept it.  Bonus for the country, but like a lot of foods, they could be all over.  We always had them lightly dusted with powdered sugar.

670981e4a06fc24d33e561d4ac00520c.jpg

This is not right but it looks like Papadam from India. One wouldn't dust that with powered sugar. Not sure. It looks good.

Wild guess ... Is this a carnival sweet?  It looks like cenci that one finds in Italy during Lent. Cenci is a specialty of Viareggio but is served all over Italy during Lent - the name is dependent on the region (also called Chiacchiere, Frappe, Crostoli & Bugie).

Edited by dogs4fun

Apologies, I may have violated the rules as the countries where this treat originated cannot be visited via river cruise. Uniworld does offer a river cruise that visits one of the countries but it is a combo river cruise/land tour. The country visited by the land portion of the combo is Slovenia. I have also tasted a cousin of this pastry in Russia & Poland, babka (think they also make it in Ukraine). But the pastry pictured above is Croatian or Slovenian.

Since I messed-up, I will just declare a WILD CARD.

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Apologies, I may have violated the rules as the countries where this treat originated cannot be visited via river cruise. Uniworld does offer a river cruise that visits one of the countries but it is a combo river cruise/land tour. The country visited by the land portion of the combo is Slovenia. I have also tasted a cousin of this pastry in Russia & Poland, babka (think they also make it in Ukraine). But the pastry pictured above is Croatian or Slovenian.

So I assume the other name is Povitica? I have had babka before but it didn't look that good. Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode with babka?

I think the last babka I tasted was from Trader Joes.

Edited by Coral

No worries! It looks really good so no harm done (except to my diet)... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

No worries! It looks really good so no harm done (except to my diet)... 

21 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes & IMHO it is much tastier than babka - the filling is so much richer. The one pictured is English Walnut - my favorite. 

It does look really good!

Yes & IMHO it is much tastier than babka - the filling is so much richer. The one pictured is English Walnut - my favorite. 

I suppose there are many different variations of Babka. Chris's family (her Mom) baked them every Easter and I've learned their recipe...though admittedly they are a major pain in the butt to make and I haven't made them in "a few" years... It is a full day project at minimum; better to start the night before. The process does not lend itself to mechanized assistance, either. Lots of work by hand.

That Babka is simply a very yeasty and sweet bread dough with a ton of eggs and butter. It is such a heavy dough that you have to make a sponge first or it has no chance of rising. And there are lots of intermediate steps where you let the dough rest and rise. There is no filling per se but they do add lots of raisins. 

We ate it for the traditional Easter breakfast. Piled high with Kobasa, ham, and lots of horseradish sauce. It is really good; the combination of savory saltiness with the sweet bread is delicious. Maybe next year I'll bake some.

I have seen rolled cakes called Babka but my MIL (and her mother too) would definitely not have called those cakes by that name. They would have used the word "Kolach" for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I suppose there are many different variations of Babka. Chris's family (her Mom) baked them every Easter and I've learned their recipe...though admittedly they are a major pain in the butt to make and I haven't made them in "a few" years... It is a full day project at minimum; better to start the night before. The process does not lend itself to mechanized assistance, either. Lots of work by hand.

That Babka is simply a very yeasty and sweet bread dough with a ton of eggs and butter. It is such a heavy dough that you have to make a sponge first or it has no chance of rising. And there are lots of intermediate steps where you let the dough rest and rise. There is no filling per se but they do add lots of raisins. 

We ate it for the traditional Easter breakfast. Piled high with Kobasa, ham, and lots of horseradish sauce. It is really good; the combination of savory saltiness with the sweet bread is delicious. Maybe next year I'll bake some.

I have seen rolled cakes called Babka but my MIL (and her mother too) would definitely not have called those cakes by that name. They would have used the word "Kolach" for it.

As I said earlier - I like eggy, buttery, custardy type things. I love eggy bread such as Challah. It is weird that you say Kolach as I looked it up and came up with what we call Kolaches  here. We have a lot of Czech communities here and one calls it self the Czech Capital of the US. It is pretty small community but they definitely throw great parties. It is probably 20 minutes from me. They make kolaches that look like this (fruity individual pastries). OK - edited to say I came across this also for Kolach and it looks like Challah to me. See second picture. It says "Ukrainian Braided Christmas bread - Kolach". I would agree that babka would be difficult and labor intensive to make.

Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.21808a2a890cf36c90e63a3f9c583d10.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

While we are on the subject of traditional dishes/treats here are 2 typical Dutch treats which are mainly(only) served around new years eve.

The first one is called "oliebollen" made of a dough with either raisins or currants and sometimes people add some red & green stuff called "sucade" in Dutch, I don't know the English name (probably the same).

Second picture is called "appelflappen" made from roughly the same dough but then with a slice of cored apple inside.

Both are sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Theo

oliebollen.jpg.eedb03c93dd9350011be9076e8c6bd0b.jpg

appelflappen.jpg.55f332f5420a5d06832259d1923e0714.jpg

• Like 2

I think the wild card is still open so here is a picture for you to guess where it was taken. The city is part of river cruises but we did visited a different way.

Location-River & City.

Theo

2136234721_unnamed(2.thumb.png.38466eee2ab1dc452a441e175817f08a.png

Edited by Renmar

11 hours ago, Coral said:

As I said earlier - I like eggy, buttery, custardy type things. I love eggy bread such as Challah. It is weird that you say Kolach as I looked it up and came up with what we call Kolaches  here. We have a lot of Czech communities here and one calls it self the Czech Capital of the US. It is pretty small community but they definitely throw great parties. It is probably 20 minutes from me. They make kolaches that look like this (fruity individual pastries). OK - edited to say I came across this also for Kolach and it looks like Challah to me. See second picture. It says "Ukrainian Braided Christmas bread - Kolach". I would agree that babka would be difficult and labor intensive to make.

Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.21808a2a890cf36c90e63a3f9c583d10.jpeg

The Ukrainian Braided bread looks a lot like our Zopf that we grew up with.  An egg bread that Mom would make (as well as Stollen) for Christmas or Easter.  Now, because she can't eat it, we request it any time she announces she is making bread, as it's our favourite.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Apologies, I may have violated the rules as the countries where this treat originated cannot be visited via river cruise.

I actually thought it was Prague, as there is something I found called Prager Nußrolle. This rolled-up pastry containing nuts may not originate in Prague, though, who knows. I was to tired to post this last night. Thanks for checking and changing to wildcard, certainly no harm done, just more interesting food photos.

Now, from food to changing tires.

5 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

A Renault pit crew doing a tire/tyre change?

Lol. I wonder if Napoleon would have driven Renault or Citroen? I have no idea where Renmar might have taken this photo. It looks a bit like it is the return from Russia, but really no idea. The church in the background looks Romanesque, but it may be a Neo-classical thing anywhere in Europe.

notamermaid

OK, I know what this relief depicts and where it is located - I have been waiting patiently for someone to identify it but it appears everyone is away for the weekend.

So ... Nicholas-I.thumb.jpg.95cd288052985b28dc34a561586c24dd.jpg

This relief can be found in St. Petersburg, St. Isaac Square. It is a monument to Tsar Nicholas I where Nicholas I is depicted quelling a cholera riot.

1264578586_NicholasIdetail.thumb.jpg.9412b131b47078a7682bc883b7b8c9d4.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

11 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I suspected St. Petersburg

Your suspicions were spot on. It would have been easier to identify if @Renmar hadn't cleverly cropped the photo to remove the onion domes that you can see in my photo above.

The carriage is imperial Russian - so is the headwear. I believe that Napoleon's carriage was closed, not open - (I will have to look that up online). 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun