35 night cruise

tuolumne couple

Well, the Florida Keys, and some Caribbean Isles are open, but that’s another story.

Thank you so much for responding, so many times CCs give advice, and we never hear back.

Whale Sharks, my DH’s least regret! He was leading a group of students on a dive boat when they passed a whale shark larger than the boat (35’). The captain said “Don’t you dare”, and he responded with, “See ya” as he dived off the gunwale. Always easier to obtain forgiveness than permission!

We put an endless pool on our back porch, and it has done wonders in fighting father time!

21 minutes ago, docruth said:

Well, the Florida Keys, and some Caribbean Isles are open, but that’s another story.

Thank you so much for responding, so many times CCs give advice, and we never hear back.

Whale Sharks, my DH’s least regret! He was leading a group of students on a dive boat when they passed a whale shark larger than the boat (35’). The captain said “Don’t you dare”, and he responded with, “See ya” as he dived off the gunwale. Always easier to obtain forgiveness than permission!

We put an endless pool on our back porch, and it has done wonders in fighting father time!

Your husband sounds very adventurous! That’s too funny!   My husband wasn’t thrilled about going snorkeling with whale sharks but he did it.  It was a very rough water day and I had booked a private excursion off the ship.  There were 6 of us and 3 got sick, thankfully hubby nor I did.  The guide got a funny photo of me beside the whale shark-I didn’t even know it was there until the shark & I looked at each other-you can imagine the look on my face, lol!  

Love to meet you both on a cruise one day.  

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Your husband sounds very adventurous! That’s too funny!   My husband wasn’t thrilled about going snorkeling with whale sharks but he did it.  It was a very rough water day and I had booked a private excursion off the ship.  There were 6 of us and 3 got sick, thankfully hubby nor I did.  The guide got a funny photo of me beside the whale shark-I didn’t even know it was there until the shark & I looked at each other-you can imagine the look on my face, lol!  

Love to meet you both on a cruise one day.  

Likewise!

• Like 1

Had to smile about the poster who thought 35 days might be boring.  The first time we took a long cruise was on the Prinsendam and it was 62 days.  DW and I had never been on any cruise longer then 25 days and wondered if we would get bored on such a small ship (we only had 585 passengers on that cruise) for over 2 months.  And to set the record straight, we seldom to ever take any excursions and simply do our own thing in ports all over the world (this cruise was to Europe and North Africa).  The last night of the cruise DW and were talking and she said "I could easily do another 62 days."  And that says it all.  Since that cruise we have been on several long cruises (generally about 2 months) and have never been bored or regretted a single day :).  

Somebody else mentioned that the Keys were open and that is now a question when it comes to cruises.  The Keys are not open to any cruises at the moment because of government restrictions.  But even after the restrictions are lifted, the voters of Key West voted (on Nov 3) to ban cruise ships that have more then 1200 passengers and limit total cruisers to no more then 1500 per day.  So it is very likely that the Keys will never be open to another HAL vessel.

Hank

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

You know, to have top rated entertainment, perhaps you should visit Las Vegas, or Broadway. HAL does the best they can

I don't expect "top rated entertainment", but I do expect lecturers that are more than name droppers as I have experienced when she was supposed to provide us with the experience of a British citizen living in Hong Kong.  I expect a CD who is sensitive to the guests expectations for "entertainment" particularly when he requested their assistance to provide informative programs during a long cruise.  And, then, failed to support them for what those who volunteered required to deliver a program, i.e. a working PA.  

HAL does the best that it can?  Surely, that has been my experience during many, many cruises.  Has it been a consistent experience?  NO.  I have said--and others on CC have agreed--the only consistency in the past for the HAL experience is the inconsistency experienced from one cruise to another.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, kazu said:

We were told Carnival Corp didn't allow that which was why all the seafood in Rudi's Sel de Mer was frozen.

Our cruise (as others have stated) had fresh fish brought on from ports and fishing boats and it was excellent.

I discovered when I tried to book this trip that the no-deposit rule didn't apply to cruises of this length.  With HAL already holding $5,000 in future credit, I'm not inclined to send them another $900 just for the priviledge of reserving something more than a year away knowing that neither they nor I may be around.

11 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

I discovered when I tried to book this trip that the no-deposit rule didn't apply to cruises of this length.  With HAL already holding $5,000 in future credit, I'm not inclined to send them another $900 just for the priviledge of reserving something more than a year away knowing that neither they nor I may be around.

I am not surprised at HAL's policy.  Even before COVID we noticed that several major cruise lines, including HAL, were demanding bigger deposits and even longer non-refundable periods for their longer and more popular itineraries.  We talked to two Future Cruise Consultants (on HAL and Princess) about this trend and we heard the same story.  There are too many cruisers who put multiple deposits down on long expensive cruises so they can hold their favorite cabin.  But they have no intention of taking all of the cruises for which they make deposits and will usually cancel right before the final payment period when they can still get their entire deposit refunded.  Those that really want to take those cruises will often find the best categories (such as suites) are sold out more then a year in advance.   So, before COVID, the name of the game started to become "you have to pay to play."

So now this is all complicated because most of us are reticent to trust any cruise line with a lot of our cash.  Not sure how this will all play out but I suspect some folks will just not book until they are pretty sure the cruise is a go (for both them and the cruise line).  Those that are reticent to turn over their money will likely book later in the cycle and give up choosing a specific favorite cabin.

Hank

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Some lines charge an administrative fee for cancelling.  Sometimes $500/pp or more.  I like that better then a non-refundable deposit.

I cannot recall any of the cruise lines we have booked (16) having that policy.  But we have worked with some excellent cruise agents that charge an admin fee for cancelations and disclose that fact before accepting a booking.   I used to think that was an awful practice until we met some folks who admitted making lots of bookings and then cancelling all but one...and seeing some posts here on CC justifying that kind of practice.

Hank

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot recall any of the cruise lines we have booked (16) having that policy.  But we have worked with some excellent cruise agents that charge an admin fee for cancelations and disclose that fact before accepting a booking.   I used to think that was an awful practice until we met some folks who admitted making lots of bookings and then cancelling all but one...and seeing some posts here on CC justifying that kind of practice.

Hank

SilverSea ($200/pp) and Azamara ($75) to name two.

Also Oceania does on their world cruise ($500/pp)

Edited by KirkNC

Crystal Cruises also charges an administration fee for cancelling (pre COVID) due to the same reason of people booking many cruises that they had no intention of taking. I believe they did allow one to roll over the fee one time if another cruise was booked.

~Nancy 

I bet those selfish multi-bookers do not consider the fact that they are also pushing up the prices for everyone else. They are taking up inventory so the demand appears to be higher according to the cruise line's pricing algorithm.

I guess US contract law is different to UK - when we in UK make a deposit on a cruise we are entering into a legally binding contract.

Edited by SteveH2508

On 12/5/2020 at 6:37 AM, Hlitner said:

Those that really want to take those cruises will often find the best categories (such as suites) are sold out more then a year in advance. 

I believe you are correct. We booked on a future cruise deposit ($200.00)  and had to place a $400.00 down in addition until final payment due. If something happens (the optimist in me does not think anything will) our $600.00 down will  simply roll over to another cruise. All the Aft veranda's are selling out and there are none available on our deck. For this reason, we certainly book a year in advance. That being said, we have been checking out google earth, looking to the port stops and trying to find out more about how to enjoy this 35  night cruise to the fullest in the coming 62 weeks until we sail. We have been thankful for everyone's input and advice for this cruise. 

We are beyond excited, as we will be celebrating our 30th anniversary. I think we will see some amazing birds, amazing fish and some amazing places as well as meeting some amazing people. Be well everyone, and see you next cruise 🙂

image.thumb.png.cbbf5f423a3827a14ff6f3d20495641d.png

• Like 3