River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

10 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Gosh that was a quick reply - thank you.

so, layers with possibility of getting to short sleeves in afternoons?

Yes, I would say so. I tend to feel a little cooler than some people but can get to short sleeves in the afternoon.

notamermaid

• Like 1

not sure about 'political subdivision' -  "South Australia"  is a state of Australia -  the way New Jersey is a state of USA.

so when I say I live in South Australia, I mean the state, not the southern part of Australia.

Melbourne and Sydney are capital cities of Victoria and New South Wales respectively - other states of Australia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Congratulations Notamermaid Bayern Munich has just bought our best footballer so I’m sat here listening to my DH reminiscing about Munich - evidently a beautiful city his many times there and his Germany colleagues of times past. I never got the chance to visit. 🥲

So will you be going there to watch a Bayern Munich game?  [and of course sightsee!]

On 8/8/2023 at 3:39 AM, Kristelle said:

not sure about 'political subdivision' -  "South Australia"  is a state of Australia -  the way New Jersey is a state of USA.

so when I say I live in South Australia, I mean the state, not the southern part of Australia.

Melbourne and Sydney are capital cities of Victoria and New South Wales respectively - other states of Australia.

Thanks for the geography lesson 🙂 I am guessing most Australians know more about the US than we know about Australia. Though when you all travel - you travel! Whenever I come across someone from Australia, they are taking month long vacations. I assume most get generous vacation time off from work? It is difficult for the average US person (not retired) to travel to Australia as many people here only get 2 weeks vacation per year.

Then there’s the language conundrum. 
I just read this in a news feed about how you know when you are fluent in another language. Although I often revert to German when I smash my foot, I’m far from fluent. 😎

• “I knew I’d reached a French milestone when I could understand my neighbor’s hallway fights with her boyfriend.”—Elizabeth from Washington, DC
  • “When you get pulled over for a traffic violation and you can nervously stammer your way out of it in the local tongue.”—Mark from Houston, TX
  • “When you smash your foot into something, and the resulting profanity that follows is not in English.”—Josh from Shenzhen, China
  • “After 10 years of marriage to a German, I know the answer: It’s when you are super mad about something and can still form a clear and convincing argument.”—Lizzy from Munich, Germany
  • “I could be a Dungeon Master for a D&D campaign with that language.”—Phillip from the Bronx
  • “When you can comfortably flirt and enjoy it!”—Shayda from CA

What do you call someone that speaks three or more languages? Multilingual. 
And someone that speaks two languages? Bilingual 

And someone that speaks one language? American

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I just read this in a news feed about how you know when you are fluent in another language. Although I often revert to German when I smash my foot, I’m far from fluent. 😎

• “I knew I’d reached a French milestone when I could understand my neighbor’s hallway fights with her boyfriend.”—Elizabeth from Washington, DC
  • “When you get pulled over for a traffic violation and you can nervously stammer your way out of it in the local tongue.”—Mark from Houston, TX
  • “When you smash your foot into something, and the resulting profanity that follows is not in English.”—Josh from Shenzhen, China
  • “After 10 years of marriage to a German, I know the answer: It’s when you are super mad about something and can still form a clear and convincing argument.”—Lizzy from Munich, Germany
  • “I could be a Dungeon Master for a D&D campaign with that language.”—Phillip from the Bronx

With all our dialects, it seems like there’s more than one American language in the US.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UDChE89 said:

With all our dialects, it seems like there’s more than one American language in the US.

I don’t consider myself bilingual based on my ability to speak and understand Southern (purportedly English too) 🙄😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

A person I knew when I was in high school spent a good amount of time in France and said he knew he was comfortable in French when he started having dreams in French. Sadly I've done that and I'm still not what I'd call comfortable... The above examples sound more convincing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.—H. L. Mencken*

*or Oscar Wilde; or Anonymous.  Apparently Polygamy is having too many authors!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks for the geography lesson 🙂 I am guessing most Australians know more about the US than we know about Australia. Though when you all travel - you travel! Whenever I come across someone from Australia, they are taking month long vacations. I assume most get generous vacation time off from work? It is difficult for the average US person (not retired) to travel to Australia as many people here only get 2 weeks vacation per year.

to be honest, I'm only familiar with very basic US geography and I have never been to mainland USA

(have been to Hawaii)

Standard annual leave in Australia is 4 weeks

People sometimes use long service leave (extra leave you get after working 10 years with an employer) as well - and one can sometimes carry annual leave over from one year to next - so taking a month holiday could use some annual leave from 2 years and take some leave without pay.

Or combinations of above.

I usually go on holidays (vacations) of about 1 - 2 weeks.

However when going to Europe it is so far to travel that it is not worth it unless you take longer - so my last holiday to UK/Ireland and my upcoming holiday to London/Paris/Europe are 3 weeks

• Like 1

Many years ago whilst shopping in a Paris department store whilst purchasing an item my husband said that I had throughly confused the poor assistant because I used at least four if not five different languages - French, Spanish, German, Italian and English, okay maybe only one word of each but does this make me multi-lingual, I think not but it does mean believe it or not that I have the ability to order various drinks in various languages in loads of places around the world.

Ohh I once - in my youth started an - English/American dictionary I must look for it. 
Fawcet-tap, Lift-elevator and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:08 AM, Canal archive said:

Congratulations Notamermaid Bayern Munich has just bought our best footballer so I’m sat here listening to my DH reminiscing about Munich - evidently a beautiful city his many times there and his Germany colleagues of times past. I never got the chance to visit. 🥲

Good for them, they have tons of backing and money to make it happen, hope it translates into great football and that the team gels. Although, sneekily, I prefer Bayern Munich to lose some games otherwise the league gets boring, they are top sooo often. I prefer to back my Rhineland football clubs.

As regards the city - Munich is highly interesting, I love the Alte Pinakothek https://www.pinakothek.de/besuch/alte-pinakothek

and the English Garden is lovely.

I somewhat tend to recommend it more as a pre-cruise excursion with airport than I do Prague. It is just my personal preference. I guess the logistics for Prague may be easier for many companies and passengers.

Trying to catch up with reading posts, after a busy weekend. Good to see that so many folks have been having fun here.

notamermaid

• Like 1