Promising outlook finally

Porky55

21 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It all hinges on when Australia opens its borders to International travel. Even for coastal cruising in Australia will require overseas crew to be allowed in.

They are allowing international students and aircrew in so why not ship crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

They are allowing international students and aircrew in so why not ship crew.

Indeed, why not allow ship crews back into Australia. It just requires the Government to not be bias against cruise ships, after what happened with the Ruby incident. We will just have to wait and see what develops.🤞

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

It all hinges on when Australia opens its borders to International travel. Even for coastal cruising in Australia will require overseas crew to be allowed in.

This was discussed in the interview - crew that comes from overseas has to go through quarantine (on ship) as required.

Logistics obviously involved but personally the fact that this chap has been talking to Aus authorities is a huge plus for starters, don’t  you think?

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

This was discussed in the interview - crew that comes from overseas has to go through quarantine (on ship) as required.

Logistics obviously involved but personally the fact that this chap has been talking to Aus authorities is a huge plus for starters, don’t  you think?

I have not read or heard anything positive from State or Federal authorities, quite the contrary.

This was reported. "Australia’s international borders closed in March, with Health Minister Greg Hunt announcing the ‘biosecurity emergency period’ which enables the Federal Government to place restrictions on overseas flights and cruise ships, to stick around until at least December 2021."

An this. “International travel including both tourists and international students is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time. And a vaccine, to be available around the end of 2021 is one of the assumptions in the budget," Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has said in his post-budget speech today.

Not a very rosy picture. 😒

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

That’s right it’s good there’s interaction between the cruise lines and the government.

After listening to a interview on ABC radio with the head of the international cruise representative. It sounded like they are pretty well engaged with negotiations.

He put a date of February that we could see a start of trials.

It is CLIA's position to put forward a rosy picture, regarding the resumption of cruising. Wishing to return to cruising does not make it happen. We all want to get back on the open seas as soon as possible. However, until the Government is onboard, we will not be cruising in February.😒

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I have not read or heard anything positive from State or Federal authorities, quite the contrary.

This was reported. "Australia’s international borders closed in March, with Health Minister Greg Hunt announcing the ‘biosecurity emergency period’ which enables the Federal Government to place restrictions on overseas flights and cruise ships, to stick around until at least December 2021."

An this. “International travel including both tourists and international students is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time. And a vaccine, to be available around the end of 2021 is one of the assumptions in the budget," Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has said in his post-budget speech today.

Not a very rosy picture. 😒

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-29/first-charter-flight-international-student-darwin-pilot-program/12928626

11 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

A positive move for the struggling University sector. I don't see the struggling cruising sector getting similar treatment.😒 I hope I am wrong.🤞

No one is talking about resuming cruises as we knew it .

The first step will be trials as Singapore is doing now .

Two ships in Singapore are hopefully setting the standard as we speak.

Possibly a ship or two here ,early to mid next year doing trials.

Not paid or revenue cruises,just trials. Working with authorities .

Royal Caribbean has asked for volunteers and I did and I know a few people who have volunteered.

I just listened on the Today show to Senator Simon Birmingham, the Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment on this link. Skip to 3:40 to here him talk about possible cruising restarting. In summery, International cruising is a long way off, however domestic cruising is being discussed but no date mention for restart.

47 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s right it’s good there’s interaction between the cruise lines and the government.

After listening to a interview on ABC radio with the head of the international cruise representative. It sounded like they are pretty well engaged with negotiations.

He put a date of February that we could see a start of trials.

Well, it seems both ABC  and SKY agree on the fact that “something” regarding domestic cruising restart is being discussed between the CLIA and our government.

If these two media organisations agree on something - it is almost a certainty 🙄   I for one am optimistic - 

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I just listened on the Today show to Senator Simon Birmingham, the Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment on this link. Skip to 3:40 to here him talk about possible cruising restarting. In summery, International cruising is a long way off, however domestic cruising is being discussed but no date mention for restart.

🙄 the link didn’t  work ....... at first, but got it going 👍 

I actually thought he was quite upbeat about cruising restarting - don’t care about cruising in the Med or Carribean - round Aus is just fine with me. And for domestic cruising he said they are discussing it and things Could happen.  

So, I continue to remain confident 😆

Edited by Porky55

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

All on the media this morning, masks, social distancing, no buffets? No thanks. They will have to have 4 sittings per session @ breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR to feed everybody.

Agreed.......    also Les I go on a cruise to dine......  not fed.....lol

on the flip side 1000's of people on the beach is OK ??

It make you wonder if the order of things   is being run by watching a pin ball machine....

Don

I reckon I'm as keen as anyone to get back to cruising, but at 76 there are two things I insist on before I will go again. Number 1 is a decent vaccine, and the other is no masks! I'll be damned if I will pay decent money for a holiday and have to mimic a muzzled dog.

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

All on the media this morning, masks, social distancing, no buffets? No thanks. They will have to have 4 sittings per session @ breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR to feed everybody.

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Agreed.......    also Les I go on a cruise to dine......  not fed.....lol

on the flip side 1000's of people on the beach is OK ??

It make you wonder if the order of things   is being run by watching a pin ball machine....

Don

Wouldn’t you like to be on the test cruises.

Just like a lab rat.    LOL

Being followed around by people in white coats ,prodded and poked.

Apparently the white coats  are going to get me drunk and see if I follow the social distancing rules.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Haha - no doubt it will be different

But as it should be - there are people much smarter than me working this out.

For things to go ahead after 2020, we will need to accept change to travel. 

Edited by Porky55

The Trade Minister - Simon Birmingham said this morning..'The cruise ships will be anchored for some time. Still a lot of work to do.'  Sounds ominous.  It is the government calling the shots not the industry.

It wouldn't bother me going on a test cruise as long as I'd been vaccinated and they provide the travel insurance cover. If Princess asked for volunteers for a ship like Coral or Sapphire I'd happily volunteer.

Wearing a mask while moving around the ship doesn't bother me. Once seated in a bar or MDR it can be removed, and hopefully that would apply to outdoor areas also.

Many ships have space in their MDRs for all passengers with just the normal two sittings, although that may not apply to the newer and bigger builds. They may plan on a certain number of passengers using the buffet at all times. Anyway the buffet areas will still be there but the food service style may change. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It wouldn't bother me going on a test cruise as long as I'd been vaccinated and they provide the travel insurance cover. If Princess asked for volunteers for a ship like Coral or Sapphire I'd happily volunteer.

Wearing a mask while moving around the ship doesn't bother me. Once seated in a bar or MDR it can be removed, and hopefully that would apply to outdoor areas also.

Many ships have space in their MDRs for all passengers with just the normal two sittings, although that may not apply to the newer and bigger builds. They may plan on a certain number of passengers using the buffet at all times. Anyway the buffet areas will still be there but the food service style may change. 

I bet if Royal called a couple of you Princess folk for a free couple of nights you would say yes.

Quantam of the seas has finished its trials today and the first Revenue cruise is tomorrow .

Singapore this morning.

image.thumb.jpeg.0e2963071f1050722751961367021e69.jpeg

• Like 1