Promising outlook finally

Porky55

58 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Many ships have space in their MDRs for all passengers with just the normal two sittings, although that may not apply to the newer and bigger builds. They may plan on a certain number of passengers using the buffet at all times. Anyway the buffet areas will still be there but the food service style may change. 

I don't think they will de-commission the buffet restaurants altogether. I agree it is likely the buffet will still be there as a restaurant, but it will not be self-service. It will probably be like the Pantry on P&O ships where the food is behind glass and the stewards put the food on the plate for you. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think they will de-commission the buffet restaurants altogether. I agree it is likely the buffet will still be there as a restaurant, but it will not be self-service. It will probably be like the Pantry on P&O ships where the food is behind glass and the stewards put the food on the plate for you. 

Yes, or food court style where the food is cooked to order and delivered to your table. Having lots of people milling around waiting for their food to be dished up would be almost as bad as buffet style. Better to take and order, which is relatively quick the people can go back to their tables to wait for their food.

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I bet if Royal called a couple of you Princess folk for a free couple of nights you would say yes.

Quantam of the seas has finished its trials today and the first Revenue cruise is tomorrow .

Singapore this morning.

image.thumb.jpeg.0e2963071f1050722751961367021e69.jpeg

I would volunteer to RCI for a couple of free nights, no worries.

I think if cruising does re-start in Australia in the near future it should be in a Bubble with NZ & South Pacific nations. The ships re-positioning should come down to Oz without passengers so that the only people on board are the crew, who will all be in quarantine and ready to take on passengers in Australia. As far as the MDRs and Buffets are concerned I don't think capacity will be a problem to begin with as I would imagine only a limited number (say 50%) would be allowed on board.

Time will tell

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, or food court style where the food is cooked to order and delivered to your table. Having lots of people milling around waiting for their food to be dished up would be almost as bad as buffet style. Better to take and order, which is relatively quick the people can go back to their tables to wait for their food.

They will need to use the buffet area to cater for the masses, I was told on a few Princess ships doing the behind the scene tour that the MDR's could not feed everybody.  Probably switch to the Pantry system or use waiters in the buffets to take orders.

Sure, initially if pax numbers are reduced the MDR's could probably handle the numbers. But the cruise lines would make it a priority to push for more and more pax to be cost effective.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

It is CLIA's position to put forward a rosy picture, regarding the resumption of cruising. Wishing to return to cruising does not make it happen. We all want to get back on the open seas as soon as possible. However, until the Government is onboard, we will not be cruising in February.😒

They're doing the job, which is getting a restart of cruising. Nothing to say it's more promising than before though; they've been having discussions with the government for some time.

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

It is CLIA's position to put forward a rosy picture, regarding the resumption of cruising. Wishing to return to cruising does not make it happen. We all want to get back on the open seas as soon as possible. However, until the Government is onboard, we will not be cruising in February.😒

Totally agree and the media as usual has decided that CLIA's picture will be be approved. Wrong, the paint is not yet dry. A lot of work to be done before cruising commences.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

They have meat pies .

I volunteered for 2 people. What size dress do you take?

Only if it is a pilot cruise for the Swingers...you know Michael Buble music and all that.🤣

As for my dress..

istockphoto-149154299-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.18c02daa8930f2827906d262ea199fd6.jpg

Gday all,

great to see some positive talk for a very slow & controlled restarting of Aussie cruising!

I tried to talk the better half into putting down a deposit on a 23 Dec 2021 12 day cruise....

A little more work required on my part...

fingers crossed!

39 minutes ago, NumnuT said:

Gday all,

great to see some positive talk for a very slow & controlled restarting of Aussie cruising!

I tried to talk the better half into putting down a deposit on a 23 Dec 2021 12 day cruise....

fingers crossed!

So far, people who have outlaid either deposits or final payments on cruises haven't lost their money. If this continues and the cruise is cancelled, you won't lose out. It seem to be only the European river cruises where there have been problems.

We are optimistic about Australian-based cruising in the latter part of 2021. We have three cruises booked - August, October and November. Maybe the first one won't happen, but we will see. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

So far, people who have outlaid either deposits or final payments on cruises haven't lost their money. If this continues and the cruise is cancelled, you won't lose out. It seem to be only the European river cruises where there have been problems.

And Crystal cruises. We've recovered 75%, the final payment, through a credit card chargeback for a May cruise that was cancelled by Crystal at the beginning of April. 241 days later we are still waiting on the deposit amount of around US $4500 to be refunded as that payment was outside the chargeback timeframe.

it took 10 weeks to get our deposit back from our cruise from Sydney that RCI cancelled. 

on Voyage of the Seas that was scheduled to depart 2 days before Ruby Princess came in....🥵

Was to be our first cruise as Diamond..

We had USD $1,000 OBC to spend, we lost the OBC as it was "promotional"..🤑

Oh well...

2 hours ago, NumnuT said:

Gday all,

fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, NumnuT said:

it took 10 weeks to get our deposit back from our cruise from Sydney that RCI cancelled. 

on Voyage of the Seas that was scheduled to depart 2 days before Ruby Princess came in....🥵

Was to be our first cruise as Diamond..

We had USD $1,000 OBC to spend, we lost the OBC as it was "promotional"..🤑

Oh well...

I think December 21 should be a goer 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I reckon I'm as keen as anyone to get back to cruising, but at 76 there are two things I insist on before I will go again. Number 1 is a decent vaccine, and the other is no masks! I'll be damned if I will pay decent money for a holiday and have to mimic a muzzled dog.

I think I am in the same boat as you. We have done a LOT of cruising - but we mostly cruised to "see the World" - not to just cruise and eat 🙂 Cruising around Australia is of no interest to me - would rather do land travel. At 74, I think my cruising days are over - had a great time while it lasted though!!! 

• Like 2