Quantum Of the Seas - Cruise to Nowhere Singapore 03 Dec 2020

gwain6

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

You can scientifically verify that exactly, how may I ask? 

The flu, for one:

Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu, while pneumonia is a serious flu complication that can result from either influenza virus infection alone or from co-infection of flu virus and bacteria. Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu, and people with chronic heart disease may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu.

53 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No one is getting covid from taking off masks briefly for a photo op.

You are missing the point . The rules onboard are face masks must be worn in public spaces unless eating or drinking , guests still have to social distance and stick to their own social bubble or at least that is what I have been lead to believe . I don’t think a group photo of 10 plus people not wearing masks is sticking to the rules . It only takes one Idiot to spoil it for the rest . 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, heatherb1958 said:

You are missing the point . The rules onboard are face masks must be worn in public spaces unless eating or drinking , guests still have to social distance and stick to their own social bubble or at least that is what I have been lead to believe . I don’t think a group photo of 10 plus people not wearing masks is sticking to the rules . It only takes one Idiot to spoil it for the rest . 

Well there's a difference between breaking a rule and your actions actually causing any public harm. 

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Well there's a difference between breaking a rule and your actions actually causing any public harm. 

You mean like driving 120 MPH as long as you don't wreck into someone and kill them?  Like selling tainted food as long as it doesn't actually send someone to the hospital or the morgue?

Tough to be a society of rules and laws if they are only followed if someone determines that there is no public harm. 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The flu, for one:

Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu, while pneumonia is a serious flu complication that can result from either influenza virus infection alone or from co-infection of flu virus and bacteria. Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu, and people with chronic heart disease may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu.

Great cut and paste but not sure how that applies to your original contention, but OK.  As you were.

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I cannot post the link but the stupidity of these quests is serious enough for the Singaporean government to look into revoking RCI’s Cruisesafe certificate  at worst but definitely could impose fines . Just Google it and read it for your self .

edit:- I found a link I can post 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/stb-probing-alleged-covid-19-breach-on-royal-caribbean-ship

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

I cannot post the link but the stupidity of these quests is serious enough for the Singaporean government to look into revoking RCI’s Cruisesafe certificate  at worst but definitely could impose fines . Just Google it and read it for your self .

edit:- I found a link I can post 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/stb-probing-alleged-covid-19-breach-on-royal-caribbean-ship

If anything they’ll treat this as individuals acting irresponsibly and fine them.  You can’t monitor everyone every minute of the day. 

Now if RC allowed them to dine at one table or move between tables at one seating that would be different. 

Plenty of business on land have been temporarily closed and fined for not enforcing/following the new laws enacted. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/zam-zam-restaurant-fined-a-second-time-for-flouting-covid-19-measures-singaporeans

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the real question is that if it is so egregious to take your mask off for a moment to take a picture then is it really safe to be on the ship in the first place?

No this has nothing to do with being on a ship. It has to do with the The COVID (Temporary Measures) Act as of 7 April 2020. 

In Singapore (by extension the cruise ship) you need to comply to all the same safe distancing measures.  This included at the time not gathering in groups of more than 5 (as of Dec 28th it’s now 8 people) and wearing a mask on public when not exercising or eating.  

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/about-80-disputes-over-mask-wearing-on-public-transport-since-april-40-people-fined

This act along with the initial 2 month lockdown is one reason why Singapore now has nearly no cases in the community anymore. 

• Thanks 1

To add on, I doubt you'll find much sympathy for these people in Singapore, for a couple of reasons. I think most of us have been adhering to the rules, no matter how inconvenient, and as a result we've managed to slowly resume more risky activities - cruising among them, but also sports, larger religious gatherings, weddings etc. It's precisely because they're risky that we want to resume them the right way - if it means wearing masks and keeping gatherings small, so be it, at least we still get to do the things we like.

In addition, we've also had, after a long period with no cases except for arriving passengers in isolation, two local clusters, both caused by the maritime industry and both potentially caused by breaches in following the above guidelines, so sentiment is very much against anyone who tries to jeopardize our very cautious reopening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am not debating Singapore's rules nor am I advocating sympathy toward the rule breakers in question. However, if these types of stringent rules are necessary then I don't think it is either neceassy, or safe, to be on a cruise ship. But for those who want to go have at it and they should be willing to abide by the rules that are in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This type of blatant behavior where rules are not respected by people is causing those who respect rules,guidelines, recommendations to continue to be confined to a limited life where travel is no longer a possibility.

If people would respect the Covid virus as a deadly disease and follow precautions, perhaps the virus would be eradicated sooner than later and we could all return to a normal life. 

It doesn’t say much for the present human race that individuals are not behaving for the good of others,but continue to fulfill their own desires.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

It doesn’t say much for the present human race that individuals are not behaving for the good of others,but continue to fulfill their own desires.

Are you referring to taking off one's mask for a picture or engaging at this points in time in a completely non essential activity like taking a cruise?

• Thanks 1

I was referring to those individuals who are not following guidelines for prevention of the spread of Covid-19.

In our county on Long Island, we have gone from under 1% positivity rate this Summer to over 9.5% positivity rate a few days ago.

This spike is,apparently, due to people who are not respecting the wearing of masks,keeping social distance and refraining  from gathering in large groups.

Such behavior is frustrating to those of us adhering to the health guidelines because we continue to miss our usual activities such as socializing with family and friends, being able to go to theater, attend weddings and funerals and,basically ,enjoying life as we knew it,pre Covid.

During this Christmas-New Year period, I have seen photos on newscasts of people packed into planes and standing closely on lines at airline terminals. I have to SMH as to why people are putting themselves in such situations, knowing that such behavior can lead to the spread of the virus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I was referring to those individuals who are not following guidelines for prevention of the spread of Covid-19.

In our county on Long Island, we have gone from under 1% positivity rate this Summer to over 9.5% positivity rate a few days ago.

This spike is,apparently, due to people who are not respecting the wearing of masks,keeping social distance and refraining  from gathering in large groups.

Such behavior is frustrating to those of us adhering to the health guidelines because we continue to miss our usual activities such as socializing with family and friends, being able to go to theater, attend weddings and funerals and,basically ,enjoying life as we knew it,pre Covid.

During this Christmas-New Year period, I have seen photos on newscasts of people packed into planes and standing closely on lines at airline terminals. I have to SMH as to why people are putting themselves in such situations, knowing that such behavior can lead to the spread of the virus.

Well, the CDC has specifically warned people about going on cruises even if they could find one to go on.

However, it is confusing as they say we are seeing little flu this year because people are wearing masks, social distancing and doing less travel. But the corona cases are rising because people are not wearing masks,  not social distances, and travelling more.

Does it surprise you that people reach a point of skepticism and confusion and then become lacks with their behaviors?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Some object to me saying this numerous times. It’s not being responsible for yourself if you put yourself in these situations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MJSailors said:

For starters, spikes happen in winter months, in particular in cold climates.  Masks only slow it down, but it does not prevent it.  IF you are in direct extended contact with a person that has it, with or without the mask, you most likely will  be infected.  Social distance is important.  But if you go on a cruise ship, with a group of people, and you all get tested several times, than taking a group picture will not infect you, or endanger you.  

So in Long Island, you lock yourselfs home, but in many other communities and states, we have been going about our daily business, still wear a mask by "suggestion" and not by force.  Social distance when appropriate, and still manage to stay pretty steady with the numbers.  We don't need to debate the issue......it is what individuals feel, what is being discussed right now is the extremely low risk of this group of people.  

This situation is based on local laws, and seriously, very un-important