Lift & shift room type change?

I know lift & shift says:  blah, blah, blah, by selecting a future sailing on the same itinerary type, sailing length, stateroom category, and within the same 4-week period of their original cruise date same-time-next-year.

I was booked to go on Ovation for a round trip cruise out of Seattle in July 2020 in a studio balcony (just me going)  but due to it getting canceled, I had my agent lift me to July 2021's Quantum sailing in a studio balcony. 

I'm figuring Alaska will be canceled for 2021 like in 2020 and at this point I started to look into Alaska for 2022. If I didn't get a good rate, I easily would just take a refund should RCL cancel, but the rate was so good that I'll take it delayed another year (assuming they will allow another lift and shift if RCL cancels)

Were any of you actually successful going from one room type to a better room type without paying the difference if you had to do a lift and shift due to RCL canceling, or is this just something that doesn't happen (This is my first time on RCL so I have no status)?

Reason I ask is even though Quantum and Ovation are sailing Alaska in 2022, the itinerary that I really like with a date that would work for me, is on Serenade for 2022, but there are no studio balconies on that ship. The balcony on the Serenade is actually cheaper now (even with the solo cruiser supplement)  than the studio balcony on Quantum and Ovation (as of now anyway). I'm assuming RCL is firm on their terms so I don't expect it.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, CatsinShow said:

I know lift & shift says:  blah, blah, blah, by selecting a future sailing on the same itinerary type, sailing length, stateroom category, and within the same 4-week period of their original cruise date same-time-next-year.

I was booked to go on Ovation for a round trip cruise out of Seattle in July 2020 in a studio balcony (just me going)  but due to it getting canceled, I had my agent lift me to July 2021's Quantum sailing in a studio balcony. 

I'm figuring Alaska will be canceled for 2021 like in 2020 and at this point I started to look into Alaska for 2022. If I didn't get a good rate, I easily would just take a refund should RCL cancel, but the rate was so good that I'll take it delayed another year (assuming they will allow another lift and shift if RCL cancels)

Were any of you actually successful going from one room type to a better room type without paying the difference if you had to do a lift and shift due to RCL canceling, or is this just something that doesn't happen (This is my first time on RCL so I have no status)?

Reason I ask is even though Quantum and Ovation are sailing Alaska in 2022, the itinerary that I really like with a date that would work for me, is on Serenade for 2022, but there are no studio balconies on that ship. The balcony on the Serenade is actually cheaper now (even with the solo cruiser supplement)  than the studio balcony on Quantum and Ovation (as of now anyway). I'm assuming RCL is firm on their terms so I don't expect it.

Thanks

Did one L&S where the category we originally had was not available, and RCL wouldn‘t price protect the new cruise, but we were able to move everything we had paid, OBC, and Visa credits over to the new cruise. It sounds like the cruise you want is cheaper if they don’t price protect your original cost.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CatsinShow said:

Thanks

I would think you could cancel (under cwc) take the fCC and apply it to the Serenade...but I would call and ask...the only roadblock that I can foresee is if you cannot use the FCC in 2022, but I am sure someone else knows the answer to that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Did one L&S where the category we originally had was not available, and RCL wouldn‘t price protect the new cruise, but we were able to move everything we had paid, OBC, and Visa credits over to the new cruise. It sounds like the cruise you want is cheaper if they don’t price protect your original cost.

Ah I see. I think I'm out of luck here even if I take a 125% FCC. I purchased my original  sailing for $920 something. The one I am on now for 2021 is currently at over $3,500.

1 hour ago, CatsinShow said:

Thanks

We did a L&S Allure to Harmony. Wanted to move from a C1 to a C2, only two of us and had no need for a cabin for 3. Only needed to move 1 cabin forward. Even though the C2 was cheaper and we were fine with no refund in price difference the answer was no.  This is for the Oct. 31 TA Barcelona to Fll. which is now up in the air as no new bookings are allowed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CatsinShow said:

Ah I see. I think I'm out of luck here even if I take a 125% FCC. I purchased my original  sailing for $920 something. The one I am on now for 2021 is currently at over $3,500.

A solo balcony shouldn't have had any solo supplement as only one can book solo cabins.

Yes doesnt matter unless the 2021 falls below the 920 you paid. Right now only 1 lift and shift allowed, and not past april 2022. They might extend it, but right now your only option is to pay the difference and move to serenade. 

If you get cancelled for 2021, and good chance unless canada opens its borders, you get 125% only on new funds, not any fcc you used to pay for it. 

Edited by firefly333

It is really hit or miss and depends completely on who you (or your TA) talk to.  Under normal circumstances (there are rooms in your category available, etc.) they will not price protect for any other room category.  I have heard of onesies and twosies where people have been successful in moving from 1 room category to a different room category but it is very rare.

My TA has done it successfully twice.  Once on an L&S from Empress (Royal Suite) to an Allure Star Loft Suite and just today from an Owner's Panoramic Suite on Allure to a Star Loft Suite on Symphony...but in that case, there were no other Star Class suites available on any eligible cruise so they made an exception. Also, the OPS is a one-of-a-kind suite category and only available on Oasis or Allure so the L&S options are very narrow.

My motto is....try it and see.  If they say "no", what have you lost ?  Obviously, the L&S program has not been extended into the Alaska 22 season yet so it's too early to try that one, but I feel confident that it will be extended (just my opinion) eventually. Good luck !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See if you can book the Serenade sailing with a refundable deposit. 

If the July 2021 Quantum sailing is cancelled, you will receive a FCC with an expiration date of <at least> 12 months. You could then apply it to Serenade. 

You can only Lift & shift once (at present). It is unknown what we will be happening by July. 

Edited by Coralc