Is the Bering Crab Fisherman's tour (Deadliest Catch) in Ketchikan, Alaska worth it?

NicoleTX

I'm looking at some options for our Ketchikan stop on the Norwegian Sun and this tour looks pretty cool! Is this well worth it in Ketchikan or is there something else we can't miss? I am planning way ahead for our cruise booked for 2023 but it's nice to have something to look forward to when the world returns to normal. We have a very large group with a mix of kids, teens, adults, and seniors. 

28 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

define "Worth it".

Ahh now you're making me think! By worth it, I mean would it be a good use of time for some people who may never return to Alaska again. Is there anything else that would would be a better choice. We have some in our group who don't travel often and this would be a once in a lifetime trip for them! 

It is definitely worth it if you are a fan of Deadliest Catch and want to see demonstration of commercisl crabbing and fishing.  Also got to see lots of bald eagles that come to feed on bait tossed to them by the crew.  

1 hour ago, NicoleTX said:

Ahh now you're making me think! By worth it, I mean would it be a good use of time for some people who may never return to Alaska again. Is there anything else that would would be a better choice. We have some in our group who don't travel often and this would be a once in a lifetime trip for them! 

When we were in Ketchikan, we did a guided Kayak tour - they met us by the ship, we took a motor boat out to their kayak area, and then about two or three hours of tandem kayaking (about 12 people/6 boats in our group).

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend, if you're a bit active, and want to see some beautiful forests and waters.

We loved it - it was great to get moving, we got to see some wildlife, and it was just a nice calm break.

I did this tour in 2010 and if it hasn't changed at all since then I would say it is 'worth it' IF you book direct. Ketchikan is such a tourist trap, but it is a fun stop none-the-less. We did a walk down creek street and then onto the park in the morning and did the Crab fishing in the afternoon.  A Highlight for us was not the crab but the Eagles. They stopped the boat and fed the eagles. They were catching the fish thrown mid-air. I have some amazing photos. My 'only' issue is that feeding eagles isn't exactly 'natural' and  I have a suspicion that the actual 'catch' is staged (they start with crab in the basket), but I could be wrong. The tour wasn't the most environmentally friendly, but again that was in 2010 and we've come a long way since then. I think kids will really like this.

I used to fly into Ketchikan for years for work. Same with Juneau, Skagway, Sitka and all the other villages up and down the coast.

Fly in, do my job, maybe a day turn around, maybe stay for a couple of days, maybe stay a week, whatever the job took.

In the winter, everything downtown was boarded up and empty. During the summer, they flew people in from the lower 48 for summer jobs. Very little that you see is "authentic". It's an annual production show just like you see on the ship at night after dinner.

Want to experience Alaska? Go in the off season. 

I changed planes in Istanbul airport. Doesn't mean I've been to Turkey.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses and input! We are a group of 47 and everyone wants to do at least one tour as a group. There will be some younger children there as well as some family members with bad knees and hip replacements who are not wanting to so anything strenuous! I think this tour will be something we can all do together and on the other stops everyone can split and do what they like. 

38 minutes ago, NicoleTX said:

Thank you all for your responses and input! We are a group of 47 and everyone wants to do at least one tour as a group. There will be some younger children there as well as some family members with bad knees and hip replacements who are not wanting to so anything strenuous! I think this tour will be something we can all do together and on the other stops everyone can split and do what they like. 

Aside from this, if you're a big group looking for something that you can all do together without too much strenuous activity, I can't recommend the White Pass Railway (from Skagway) enough.  It's amazing.  Stunning scenery, beautiful journey, and a few different options for how to get back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Aside from this, if you're a big group looking for something that you can all do together without too much strenuous activity, I can't recommend the White Pass Railway (from Skagway) enough.  It's amazing.  Stunning scenery, beautiful journey, and a few different options for how to get back.

I would second this suggestion as the one thing everyone does together!! SUPER easy to do (you literally dock right next to the train station). It's a beautiful trip and I think everyone will like it (except maybe small kids, bring some things for them like you would on a plane).  With that size group you can take over an entire car! Also, not sure how ambitious you are, but with that size group I would think you would be able to put together something truly unique for your group in any of the ports. 

Best to you, sounds like an amazing family/friend adventure!

• Like 1