I have seen the future, and here is the info to watch....

18 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like Florida made a better decision for the long term care facilities.  Michigan chose the Federal program and that is failing.  I can't imagine how bad this would be if we depended on the Feds to vaccinate everyone.

And yet that is the newly announced federal strategy going forward.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like Florida made a better decision for the long term care facilities.  Michigan chose the Federal program and that is failing.  I can't imagine how bad this would be if we depended on the Feds to vaccinate everyone.

The way our governor explained it was that the federal requirement was to allocate 100% for every LTC eligible person whether or not every eligible person would take it. If the uptake rate is less than 100% (and some are refusing) then those additional doses cannot be released for others at this time.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention is how long it's going to take to fully crew these ships.  It's one thing to vaccinate a 1st world country...but most ship crew are coming from 3rd world countries and, until they (or the cruise companies themselves) have enough vaccines to jab the entire fleet, it's going to take some time.  But it's not just the vaccinations that are important...there has been a long out-of-service period, and a lot of crew have had to move on to other jobs.  It's going to take some time to rehire (and train) new crews.  This is not going to be as simple as the guests having access to a vaccine.  These are HUGE companies that will have to restaff almost completely.  The logistics are going to be time-consuming.  Remember, even with a vaccine, travellers (including crews) have to quarantine for 14 days.  It all adds up.  The tipping points are valid, but you have to bake in a couple of months at least past those points for the ships to be ready for guests.  The Quantum took almost 2 months AFTER Singapore approved it to sail...and that's one ship.  The whole company is going to take some time, and they'll be rolling ships back out slowly, and safely.  This is going to be a slow process.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 7:31 AM, CaroleSS said:

Just a few questions as I don't know.....not sure if anyone knows the answers, but I will ask anyway.

I've read that the vaccine is an mRNA. This means that it genetically modifies your cells to generate an antibody to protect you from the virus.

With that in mind, if someone gets COVID, do they automatically get antibodies? Do those antibodies help protect them from getting COVID again....the same as with the vaccine? If antibodies keep you from getting it another time, do you still need the vaccine? 

I've read that you can get COVID twice. Does that mean that you can get the vaccine and still get COVID more than once? The vaccine helps to minimize symptoms if you get COVID.....it does not prevent you from spreading the disease.

Sorry for all the questions, but these are the things that make me go "hmmmm". Can someone please help?

Ok, I am not an MD, but daughter is a research MD Pathologist / PHD in epidemiology.   Also did fellowship in infectious diseases / tropical medicine.

Here is my understanding from what she has told me.  When you get Covid infection, your body's immune system creates antibodies as part of the recovery process.  These antibodies do protect you from getting Covid again for a LIMITED time.  How long you have immunity, has not yet been determined with certainty, as her clinical pathology mates have had the same patient in hospital (March 1st time, December 2nd time) from Covid, active infection confirmed both times via blood PCR test.  Antidotal evidence shows the 2nd time around was worse as far a symptoms.  Patient recovered both times with only CPAP 100% oxygen therapy and standard supportive treatments of IV antibiotic, steroid, anti-inflammatory.  The vaccines will mimic antibody creation similar to when you have recovered from Covid, but they too will have LIMITED time protection.  How long vaccines give you protection, still TBD.  Plus Covid being an RNA Cornavirus is mutating and will continue to do so.  It highly likely we will need a Covid vaccine every year just like the yearly flu shot.  

And because antibodies from having had Covid do wear out, it is still recommended you get the vaccine even if you had Covid.   

Here is a recent article on vaccine protection duration:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/12/22/the-moderna-vaccines-antibodies-may-not-last-as-long-as-we-hoped/?sh=6f24a06f4567

7 hours ago, miraflores said:

The one thing I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention is how long it's going to take to fully crew these ships.  It's one thing to vaccinate a 1st world country...but most ship crew are coming from 3rd world countries and, until they (or the cruise companies themselves) have enough vaccines to jab the entire fleet, it's going to take some time.  

Also given their young age, Crew members would be at the bottom of the list for receiving vaccines.

The issue with distribution and getting the vaccine administered are more related to the politics of those in charge.  There are several smaller states with over 50% of the vaccine administered.  And then there are states like New York and California, where vaccines are there (and going bad) but not administered do to actions by Governors. 

If President Biden wants his 100 million vaccines in 100 days target met, he needs to push his fellow Democratic pols to get going and quite wasting their allotments. No reason for that stuff to be "sitting on the shelf".

59 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And then there are states like New York and California, where vaccines are there (and going bad) but not administered do to actions by Governors. 

Do tell, what actions by Cuomo have caused the vaccines to go bad in New York?  Cuomo has asked the companies making the vaccine if he can buy it directly because he's not getting enough supply to meet the demand of the vaccination sites!

Are you talking about him holding back doses so people that have gotten the first dose can be assured of getting the second on time?  There is NOTHING to say right now that if they DON'T hold that second dose there will be enough to administer it in time...

• Like 1

Our health department (in Michigan) said in a news release that they receive 1000 doses per week and that there are 27,000 people in our county that meet the over 65 criteria for vaccines, (so it will be a bit before we see much progress unless new sources of the vaccine open up).  They take registrations at the beginning of the week for injections on the subsequent days.  Our local grocery stores are starting some sort of registration for their eventual participation, but they have no vaccines yet.  Furthermore, the health department's phone system crashed on Monday and so did the online interface!