When did Royal start Non-Refundable Deposits?

AF-1

Hello,  I am looking to book a cruise and my travel agent told me the deposit if non refundable and if we change anything about the cruise there is a$100 per person change fee.  Since the pandemic started all airlines have waived change fees and now have refundable airfares.  Is this normal operations for Royal to have these in place?  We have not sailed Royal Caribbean in ten years.   Thanks for any info you can share.  

When they first started we were booking onboard and they made us sign a paper about it, basically accepting it.  They quit doing that after a couple of years.  Now, it's just understood.  You pay a non-refundable to get a lower price.   

1 minute ago, BND said:

When they first started we were booking onboard and they made us sign a paper about it, basically accepting it.  They quit doing that after a couple of years.  Now, it's just understood.  You pay a non-refundable to get a lower price.   

Also, suites are all non-refundable.

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

Also, suites are all non-refundable.

Yep and I remember vividly when GS and above required a double deposit.  We booked on EX out of NJ a few times in a GS and had to pay $1800 in deposits for a 10-11 night cruise and usually over a year in advance.  GS sold out very quickly which is one reason they started the double deposits and made them non-refundable.  Too many people were making deposits and then cancelling at final payment.

BND;  thank you very much for the info.   We are looking to book a 12 night in GS.  Deposit is $900 for two.  Do you know if there is a separate dining room for suite guests on the Jewel; or do they have anytime dining?  I am going to see if I can find Royal Caribbean's info for suite guests.  Cheers

Edited by AF-1

The assessed fee only applies if you change the ship or sail date so you can make changes to the reservation (change cabin categories, etc.) but you just can't cancel.

According to @Ourusualbeacha Travel Agent can get a refundable deposit quote for a full suite but the price is likely to be higher...perhaps much higher.  But apparently it can be done by a TA.

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

The assessed fee only applies if you change the ship or sail date so you can make changes to the reservation (change cabin categories, etc.) but you just can't cancel.

According to @Ourusualbeacha Travel Agent can get a refundable deposit quote for a full suite but the price is likely to be higher...perhaps much higher.  But apparently it can be done by a TA.

Around 50% higher has been my experience. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Do you know if there is a separate dining room for suite guests on the Jewel; or do they have anytime dining?

No, only on Q and O class ships have the CK venue for suites; yes, MyTime dining is available on all ships.

57 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello,  I am looking to book a cruise and my travel agent told me the deposit if non refundable and if we change anything about the cruise there is a$100 per person change fee.  Since the pandemic started all airlines have waived change fees and now have refundable airfares.  Is this normal operations for Royal to have these in place?  We have not sailed Royal Caribbean in ten years.   Thanks for any info you can share.  

Did your TA also tell you thst ifvyou book before April 30,2021 for s cruise sailing before April 30, 2022 that the $100 cancellation penalty is waived under Cruise with Confidence 

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, only on Q and O class ships have the CK venue for suites; yes, MyTime dining is available on all ships.

Biker19;  thank you for the quick reply.  For my time dining can  you use any dining room  or just the dining room you're assigned to?  Also do you know where the suite breakfast and lunch are served?

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did your TA also tell you thst ifvyou book before April 30,2021 for s cruise sailing before April 30, 2022 that the $100 cancellation penalty is waived under Cruise with Confidence 

Our cruise is for July 2022

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

For my time dining can  you use any dining room  or just the dining room you're assigned to?  Also do you know where the suite breakfast and lunch are served?

MTD is usually assigned a certain deck of the MDR, or a certain venue on Q class. Suite breakfast and lunch, if offered, varies by ship and perhaps even itinerary.

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks Biker19;  I am looking at Jewel for July 2022;  12 night British Aisles cruise roundtrip out of AMS

Some UK posters may have info from previous sailings, but optional things like a suite breakfast and lunch can change at any time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Do you find booking air thru cruiseline is better price for int'l than booking on your own?

One way international fares are where the potential savings are using ChoiceAir.

Edited by Biker19

I think non refundable started either really late 2017 or early 2018. Our TA got caught off guard and didn’t realize they started the non refundable deposits and made one of our deposits under nonrefundable when it shouldn’t have been as we were not made aware that nonrefundable had become an option.  Not 100 percent sure of exactly when it started but I think it was in that vicinity.

rimmit,  since we have not sailed with Royal in  ten years;  we did not know of all the changes.  Between our travel agent and cruise critic;  we are getting up to date with changes. We have sailed NCL and Princess the last ten years.