Best and Worst

Travelerstory

Fellow cruisers. 2 questions for all of you, especially those that have done extended cruises. Here's the 1st question -

What is the one thing you WISH you had packed but hadn't?             2nd question -

What is the one thing you DID pack and wish you hadn't?

We've done a couple of two week cruises coupling with another two weeks either before or after. For a month, you can get by without just about anything. A 4 month cruise, not so much.               Thanks

Wish we had packed a large laundry bag or maybe one of those collapsible laundry baskets.  Plastic bags didn't hold up for duration of WC.  

We brought too many clothes.  Between available launderette and laundry service, plus the smart casual dress code of Viking, you really don't need more than 9 or 10 days of underwear, socks and workout clothes etc, and 6 to 7 days of slacks and shirts for the guys.   I bet there are some that say even this is to much.  

I wouldn't begin to speak for the ladies, but mine felt she brought too much too.  Be interesting to see what she cuts for our next trip.  

The one thing I'm glad we brought was magnetic hooks that "stuck" the the walls.  So handy for light jackets, scarves, hats and so on.  

I wish I had packed the mesh bags I bought immediately after our last cruise.  I kept losing socks and underwear in the washer and dryer.  I bought a mesh bag to put all our small items in to wash so they don’t get left behind for the next cruise, to keep them all corralled.  

Our last cruise was 18 days, with a total vacation of 26 days.  Both DH and I packed well, I wore everything I had packed in my suitcase.  

32 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I wish I had packed the mesh bags I bought immediately after our last cruise.  I kept losing socks and underwear in the washer and dryer.  I bought a mesh bag to put all our small items in to wash so they don’t get left behind for the next cruise, to keep them all corralled.  

Our last cruise was 18 days, with a total vacation of 26 days.  Both DH and I packed well, I wore everything I had packed in my suitcase.  

Yes, yes, yes to the mesh bags!  I could easily pull out what I didn’t want to put in the dryer.  And a big laundry bag is essential, too.  I brought too many ( 13 )pairs of shoes for our WC.  Probably only wore 12, LOL.

• Like 1

I put a clothes rack in the bedroom and hang all the possibles on it, then put half back in the closet.  Traveling light equals freedom for us.  Shout color catchers work well in the laundry machines, stain remover spray, some black tape to cover the night light outside the bathroom, puffs for the shower, extra Ziploc bags, travel mugs, small gifts for special crew members, small US bills for tips, your own binoculars, small umbrellas, my Water Pik, a little flashlight, an extra foldable bag in case you need more room on the way home.  We bring home less as all the consumables are gone and some clothing and shoes will be retired and left in the laundry room for Viking donations.  I'm sure there are lots more items, and I'll be adding to The List on a pad on the desk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, yes, yes to the mesh bags!  I could easily pull out what I didn’t want to put in the dryer.  And a big laundry bag is essential, too.  I brought too many ( 13 )pairs of shoes for our WC.  Probably only wore 12, LOL.

We normally travel with just a 22” carry on each for every trip we have made, but the longest trip we have done has been 5 weeks.  Both expand, which helps some.

For our WC, we have come to the conclusion we will likely have to add a couple of suitcases as well.  Under normal conditions, I think the most shoes I have ever taken is 3 pairs.  I will very likely add a couple more pair but that’s it.  I think DH would ROFL if I pulled out 13 pair of shoes!

Yes, well, this was for a WC.  and my husband did do a bit of a double take!  I kept about ten pairs in my 22 inch carry on under the bed and they were out of the way and easy to get to.

Another  great thing I took was a six tier hanging skirt rack that I used to clip all the delicates that I didn’t want to put in the dryer.  I could clip 12 things and hang the thing in the shower.

We have it reasonably well organised, bringing 4 cases + carry-on. In 2020 we brought too many jackets, as Viking provided a great jacket aboard the ship.

In '23, if they are providing WC jackets, we won't bring wind/rain jackets, which will save space.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

I put a clothes rack in the bedroom and hang all the possibles on it, then put half back in the closet.  Traveling light equals freedom for us.  Shout color catchers work well in the laundry machines, stain remover spray, some black tape to cover the night light outside the bathroom, puffs for the shower, extra Ziploc bags, travel mugs, small gifts for special crew members, small US bills for tips, your own binoculars, small umbrellas, my Water Pik, a little flashlight, an extra foldable bag in case you need more room on the way home.  We bring home less as all the consumables are gone and some clothing and shoes will be retired and left in the laundry room for Viking donations.  I'm sure there are lots more items, and I'll be adding to The List on a pad on the desk.

We do the same with clothes. Doesn't mean I always end up traveling  light. 

I focus on pants/tights that are black and monochrome tops that can match. Also take several scarves to add color and variety.

A number of your items match with our "must haves" to pack. We substitute Electric toothbrushes for Water Pik. We also contact our Family Doctor for an antibiotic prescription that we fill before we travel in case we pick up a cold or bronchitis during the trip.We organize a small bag with medical supplies that we might need like bandaids and antiseptic ointment. And pack some sturdy packing tape for all kinds of unforeseen problems. 

Thanks to the free laundry it's easy to cut back on clothes.  Happy to not need a suit on VO.  Always pack a sport jacket but seldom wear it.  Shoes are always a tough decision as they add a lot of bulk and weight.

It's tougher when your trip takes you through multiple climates.  When we landed in Fairbanks Alaska it was 95 degrees on 4th of July.  By the time we journeyed to the ocean it was in the 40's and I had to purchase a winter coat.

10 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Thanks to the free laundry it's easy to cut back on clothes.  Happy to not need a suit on VO.  Always pack a sport jacket but seldom wear it.  Shoes are always a tough decision as they add a lot of bulk and weight.

It's tougher when your trip takes you through multiple climates.  When we landed in Fairbanks Alaska it was 95 degrees on 4th of July.  By the time we journeyed to the ocean it was in the 40's and I had to purchase a winter coat.

A good, sturdy pair of walking shoes does double duty for me. I don't cruise to impress others.

• Like 2

I like using liquid hand soap to wash my hands with at the sink so I brought an empty Soft Soap dispenser & filled it with the body wash - much neater than using the bar soap.  

I usually travel w/ an iPad & iPhone so I finally purchase a 6 ft. cord, a 3 ft cord is too short to have the iPhone connected to while in bed; haven't traveled since getting the longer cords. Doesn't hurt to have extra cords as well.

I take photos w/ my phone & would find that I would drain the phone battery during an excursion, especially a full day one so I bought a small power bank as a battery backup to keep taking pictures.

I like the idea of the small mesh bags for laundry, especially if we will need to wear masks on future cruises; the last couple of cruises I did bring a large mesh laundry bag; worthwhile to have.

We don't have incontinence issues but a friend had suggested having some Depends along for the trip for a bout of diarrhea or in a situation where you cannot get to a bathroom.  You may never actually use them but they can provide peace of mind.  

I bring disinfectant wipes, purse sized hand sanitizers, Kleenex packets, especially now with the pandemic.

I now carry cough syrup(or cough syrup in capsule form), cough drops, etc.  I picked up a terrible cold in France & could not find the equivalent of Coricidin at a French pharmacy; suffered the last part of the trip(it was Viking river cruise).

• Like 1