Haven on the Joy vs. Pearl

JandC_Cruising

We are trying to decide between a 2022 Bermuda trip on either the Joy (NY) or Pearl (Boston).

We are planning this trip with two young adult children (27 and 22) and are looking at the 2BR suites on both.  

The two of us were in the Haven on the Escape and loved it!.  I feel like we have a good feel for what the experience on the Joy will be like. 

We have not been in the Haven on any other ship and the kids have never experienced the Haven.

I'm curious to hear from those who have experienced the Haven on both ships and any pros/cons to offer particularly regarding the smaller Pearl.

I loved having the dedicated Haven restaurant on the Escape -- we at breakfast there every morning and had lunch there all but one of our port days.  Aside from three specialty meals, we had the other dinners there.   

How is the food and drink service in Pearl courtyard through the day?

Any thoughts about which ship 20 somethings would enjoy more? 

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

The Haven on the Joy and Pearl are completely different experiences.  the Pearl has a small courtyard outside the rooms  in the "complex" with a pool. the Joy has a huge observation area, restaurant, bar and two story sun deck with pool on first deck. I think the 20 somethings would enjoy the Joy

• Like 1

Since you love the Haven restaurant on Escape, remember that the Pearl does not have a dedicated Haven restaurant for dinner.  They only serve suite guests breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

Like the rest of the ship, the Pearl is smaller, less crowded and more intimate.  The Joy is a mega ship with a huge 3 deck Haven complex with forward observation lounge.  It wont be as intimate as the Pearl but it definitely has more bells and whistles.

I love the Pearl.  But I wouldn't stay in a Jewel class Haven if it was a free upgrade.  The little courtyard and pool, small.  The whole thing is claustrophobic  to me.  On the Pearl just select one of the suites, same breakfast and lunch options, and closer to the rest of the ship's activities. 

My husband and I were on the Jewel, sister to the Pearl in a gorgeous two bedroom suite.The HAVEN  includeS  a small pool with wave maker, a gym with a few machine,  and plenty of lounge chairs. Breakfast and lunch were in Cagney's,  non specialty dinners in regular restaurants.

The ship is much smaller than the newer ones,  and you can get additional reservations in the specialties if you want them. We had a dining area that was big enough to use as one, and we had dinner in the suite a few times. The cruise was a transatlantic, so we had plenty of time. Preferring small ships anyway, the Jewel was fine with us. Our favorite ships are Oceania's Riviera, and Regent's Explorer.The  next cruise is on the Joy in the Haven. I just want to see what a giant ship is like.

Mary

I have been on the Pearl and the Encore. I am assuming the Encore is similar to the Joy.

The Encore had a full complex of restaurant, bar, forward facing lounge and pool that seemed

to be very popular with those the age of your children.

The Pearl  Haven has a small courtyard area in the area between the 2 bedroom suites. You can

eat at one of the specialty restaurants for breakfast and lunch or have the courtyard attendant 

bring you food to one of the half dozen or so small tables. If you want an ocean view you need to

go up the stairs to the Haven deck whereas the Encore has a lounge that overlooks the bow.

I prefer the Pearl but keep in mind that we are a senior couple and like things low key and

quiet. However I would definitely think about taking 20 somethings on a bigger ship.

Thank you all for the various comments.  They were all helpful and supported the decision to go with the Joy....

Biggest contributing factors:

1.  We think the 20-somethings will really enjoy the other amenities choices (bars, clubs, etc.) on the Joy more than the smaller Pearl

2.  We ate so many meals in the Haven restaurant on the Escape, that we realized that was a huge perk for us that we wish to repeat on the Joy

3.  With three sea days, I fully expect all of us to enjoy the big sun deck and take advantage of easy drink service on the Joy with more attendants to help -- Gil on the Escape was my best friend 🙂

Thanks again all and hope to see you all on the high seas very soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three cancellations ago, LOL, I was booked on the Pearl.  My family of five (Wife, three adult children and I) booked a Haven Two-Bedroom Family Villa.  The trip was going to Canada and New England.  That is when my research of the two ships began.  As previous posting says, the Haven is much different in both ships.  The Pearl does not have a Haven Restaurant and Haven Bar.  Instead, they give you complementary Breakfast and Lunch in a specific Specialty Restaurant. The Haven Concierge is also not located in the Haven Courtyard.  The Pearl Haven Courtyard is smaller then the Joy because the number of Haven Guests are lower in the Pearl. 

The Joy, like its sisters ships Bliss and Encore Haven's are very similar.  You have a Haven Restaurant & Bar which is a BIG Benefit. The Haven Courtyard is just outside the Haven Bar.  The Haven on the Joy has on Deck19 a Private Haven Sundeck with two Large Hot tubs on both either side of the front of the ship.  

If you want a smaller ship like the Pearl, I would ship the Haven.  If you do a larger ship, like the Bliss, Joy and Encore; I would absolutely do the Joy.  Not to mention as my adult children tell me, the Joy has a Go Cart Track, Laser Tag, A Broadway Type Show, and Three Water Slides.  

I hope I helped  you.