No more Celebrity cruises sailing by St. Mark's...

WonderMan3

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

Those places don’t need them that’s why. Those destinations already had thriving tourism before cruise ships. Dubrovnik might be the only question mark for me. I think cruise ships helped them recover tourism after the war years but I believe they were a thriving tourist spot before the war; someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

However, the cruise lines are running into more ports restricting them.  Reducing the number of ports, making the other ports even more over crowded as more ships get built and on average they get larger. .

28 minutes ago, nocl said:

However, the cruise lines are running into more ports restricting them.  Reducing the number of ports, making the other ports even more over crowded as more ships get built and on average they get larger. .

This just spurs on the development of new cruise ports. That’s great for many of us as it means new destinations to visit. I honestly am tired of itineraries with Rome, Barcelona, Naples, etc.

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

This just spurs on the development of new cruise ports. That’s great for many of us as it means new destinations to visit. I honestly am tired of itineraries with Rome, Barcelona, Naples, etc.

Problem is not that many ports the big ships can fit into.  Its not like they can just put a port in anywhere.  In Europe for example most places that can handle a port for large ships already has one, usually a large industrial port that may or may not want cruise ships (cargo ports actually generate more revenue then cruise ports).

There are places where tenders could be used, but finding those with enough infrastructure for x thousands for passengers to come on shore is also a problem.

On 4/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Hope you got a chance to have that spectacular sail away by St. Mark's Square at some point as you won't get to do it in the future. Venice has banned cruise ships from the lagoon.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-cruise-ship-ban/index.html

I will never forget the sight of the golden dome in the morning sunrise, when our ship was passing the Square 15 years ago. Unforgettable trip for our 25th anniversary. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 9:28 AM, TeeRick said:

Size?? Maybe a Silversea cruise would be a good option out of Venice Lagoon?  Azamara? Crystal?

This is what I was thinking.  Less cruise ships and smaller ships would be a plus.  These smaller ships go to the most sought after destinations without the long bus ride.

Edited by NMTraveller

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This is what I was thinking.  Less cruise ships and smaller ships would be a plus.  These smaller ships go to the most sought after destinations without the long bus ride.

I just looked up tonnage of the smaller cruise line fleets and Silversea is the only one I found with a small enough ship.  Crystal, Azamara, Oceania, and Seabourn are all over 25K tons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I am not sure what is different today versus the announcement that was made on Apr 1:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-italy-legislate-keep-liners-out-venice-lagoon-sources-2021-07-13/

If I remember correctly, in the April report there were three ministers who together agreed on the decree. It seems to me that this report is saying that the decree has been approved by a broader body.  It also confirms again that only VERY small ships (<25,000 tons) will be allowed to transit through the Guidecca canal along the "scenic" route many of us have experienced in the past.

If it takes effect August 1, as announced here, I wonder what the MSC ships are going to do for the remainder of the 2021 season?

On 7/13/2021 at 7:19 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I just looked up tonnage of the smaller cruise line fleets and Silversea is the only one I found with a small enough ship.  Crystal, Azamara, Oceania, and Seabourn are all over 25K tons.

I think that Windstar may be able to do it.  We shall see.

Funny, I just now got an email from Celebrity advertising a 10 night Venice Turkey and Greek islands cruise on constellation on July 11, 2022.  It specifically says that Venice is the port of departure, and arrival, no mention of using an alternate.

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Funny, I just now got an email from Celebrity advertising a 10 night Venice Turkey and Greek islands cruise on constellation on July 11, 2022.  It specifically says that Venice is the port of departure, and arrival, no mention of using an alternate.

Not unusual several ports start at a different location cruise starting or ending in Rome use Civitavecchia for example.

I have Venice to Rome booked on the Constellation next October as first leg of B2B with the TA.  It's seriously overpriced.  If it doesn't go out of Venice, as I doubt it will, I have a pretty good reason to give it a pass (will be able to take two cruises in its place so not too painful).  😉

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, Hlitner said:

We have discussed this before, but a big issue is how to move thousands of cruisers between Marghera and Venice.   At the moment there are only two choices which are via some kind of water craft or via bus.  The bus option is not good for Venice as the last thing they want are a 100 buses moving over the causeway into the P. Roma.  And it would take nearly 100 buses to handle a large cruise ship's passengers.  Another option would be to bus folks to Tronchetta where the passengers can connect to the People Mover...but the numbers would overwhelm that system.  Using some kind of watercraft might be a better solution, but they may need to think about building some new kind of boat designed to handle a large crowd.  Vaporettos are a bit small if you are dealing with 4000+ passengers and there are probably not enough spare vaporettos just sitting around waiting to move cruise ship passengers.  I imagine that the Italian authorities will have it all worked out in about 50 years.

Hank

They could use the ship tenders as they do in Kotor.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:30 PM, nocl said:

However, I believe that they consider cargo ships to be essential, cruise ships not so much.

They dry dock cruise ships in Marghera, current google maps satellite show a ship in dry dock.  Wonder if they will allow this service in the future. May be another over-site in the decision process.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marghera,+30100+Venice,+Metropolitan+City+of+Venice,+Italy/@45.4544978,12.2476056,3564m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x477eb68564ced27d:0x88e8dbd478c63ea1!8m2!3d45.4619904!4d12.2171672 

• Like 1