Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

31 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

I've not seen any relaxing of the rules. Apparently there must be isolated situations. When trying to Guage the seriousness of the violation, try to take into account that ALL onboard are fully vaccinated and on our 5th PCR test in a week, with no incidents. 

I absolutely understand the "everyone vaccinated" factor and am glad to hear that Viking is taking things seriously.  I was just surprised seeing so many people together, unmasked at a "party" (their description, not mine) that had Viking crew happily serving the group.  They put the kibosh on "Meet & Mingles" so I was just wondering if things had relaxed beyond the freedom to wander about on your own in Bermuda.

29 minutes ago, Britcnm said:

So do you have to wear masks all the time? Sitting by the pool? In the bars? 

Eating and drinking...no

Pool....no

Bars....no

Elevators have capacity limits of 2 or four from same family.

Pool has capacity limit of 4 but I've seen as many as six. Remember there are very few people on this cruise...just over or under 400.

Spa has a limit of 6 and requires a reservation.

Edited by MRGACRUZR

6 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Eating and drinking...no

Pool....no

Bars....no

Elevators have capacity limits of 2 or four from same family.

Pool has capacity limit of 4 but I've seen as many as six. Remember there are very few people on this cruise...just over or under 400.

Spa has a limit of 6 and requires a reservation.

Thank you.....that sounds better... my husband is ready to pull the plug LOL. Thanks for responding. I jus saw you on the other board...sorry for putting it two places.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, molymoo said:

I absolutely understand the "everyone vaccinated" factor and am glad to hear that Viking is taking things seriously.  I was just surprised seeing so many people together, unmasked at a "party" (their description, not mine) that had Viking crew happily serving the group.  They put the kibosh on "Meet & Mingles" so I was just wondering if things had relaxed beyond the freedom to wander about on your own in Bermuda.

If you saw this on anther site , I would ask the question there about how did this gathering happen and are they on the current sailing. 
i am happy for the reports above as to the current situation on the Orion  from folks who have been on the roll call . 

17 minutes ago, Azulann said:

If you saw this on anther site , I would ask the question there about how did this gathering happen and are they on the current sailing. 
i am happy for the reports above as to the current situation on the Orion  from folks who have been on the roll call . 

I saw this too. It was organized by the administrator of one of the groups over there. I asked how he did it and he didn’t answer that directly but suggested I speak with the restaurant manager once onboard.  I suspect he did something ahead of time given it appeared they had passed hors d’ouvres in Torshaven and then all sat together in The Restaurant. 

It will be interesting to see what transpires on your cruise.  Please post any suggestions for those sailing in Iceland later if you are able to set up any sort of meet & greet/mingle. 

We were willing to pay whatever it took to get a same day PCR test result.  Turns out my insurance covered the entire cost of the pre test consultation with a doctor and the full cost of the same day test. I wasn't sure UHC would see the need for a same say test. Thanks UHC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

@MRGACRUZR Is the Viking Voyager app working? I used the app to book specialty restaurant reservations with the app.  It worked really well during my last cruise in 2019.  Wondering if I can sign up for public spa area access with the app as well.

I can't comment on all the functions. I do know that from the moment we boarded till this moment I have not been able to do anything with restaurant reservations. Everytime it say "No times available, without even selecting a date. Are the restaurants at capacity with 400 onboard, I doubt it.

The calendar is semi functional. It will have your tours listed but not your dining reservations and, as I stated earlier,  you can't make or cancel a reservation. The spa is fully booked so, I never went to that function. In fact, when MVJ was still available b4 leaving home, the spa was fully booked. Additionally, MVJ says it will be available throughout your cruise. It is not. I had to go back through all our restaurant reservation emails to put them on my personal calendar.  Waiting to book specials restaurants on board may be a giant mistake.

3 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

I can't comment on all the functions. I do know that from the moment we boarded till this moment I have not been able to do anything with restaurant reservations. Everytime it say "No times available, without even selecting a date. Are the restaurants at capacity with 400 onboard, I doubt it.

The calendar is semi functional. It will have your tours listed but not your dining reservations and, as I stated earlier,  you can't make or cancel a reservation. The spa is fully booked so, I never went to that function. In fact, when MVJ was still available b4 leaving home, the spa was fully booked. Additionally, MVJ says it will be available throughout your cruise. It is not. I had to go back through all our restaurant reservation emails to put them on my personal calendar.  Waiting to book specials restaurants on board may be a giant mistake.

Have you discussed any of these issues with Guest Services? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Have you discussed any of these issues with Guest Services? 

Nope, don't care, enough. Spent less time searching my emails in my bathrobe on my wrap around balcony than fooling with Guest Services.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Wow... it's slightly disappointing to hear.  The app was working so well previously.  Because we are V1, we can only book specialty restaurants onboard.  Hopefully we can get at least one night at Manfredi's.  The Restaurant, to me, was hit or miss.  

I'm surprised to hear the spa was fully booked; given the ship is only at half capacity.  Do you mean spa treatments, like facial and massage services, were fully booked?  How about the public area (thermol pool, snow room, steam room)?  I know we have to reserve a slot of 45 min to enjoy the facility.  

41 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

Wow... it's slightly disappointing to hear.  The app was working so well previously.  Because we are V1, we can only book specialty restaurants onboard.  Hopefully we can get at least one night at Manfredi's.  The Restaurant, to me, was hit or miss.  

I'm surprised to hear the spa was fully booked; given the ship is only at half capacity.  Do you mean spa treatments, like facial and massage services, were fully booked?  How about the public area (thermol pool, snow room, steam room)?  I know we have to reserve a slot of 45 min to enjoy the facility.  

OK, firstly, let me suggest you follow the roll call  for the 6/15 cruise. I don't mind answering questions but, it's getting repetitive and very granular. These cruises are not for the faint of heart. The massages etc. are fully booked. The spa (sauna, ice grotto, spa pool and everything in that area are capacity controlled and by reservation.

As far as your dinner reservations go, you can call a telephone number once on board or, they may have the app functioning properly. As far as prioritizing reservations, tours, spa etc based on room category, it was a free for all for our date.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 2

For those of you who, like me, are curious about the planned stop in St. George's (assuming these resume after the current BIU action) and were perhaps under the impression that the Viking Orion would enter St. George's Harbor, information in a recent Royal Gazette article reveals the plan was (is?) to anchor at Murray's Anchorage:

image.png.38fd9a284307b5118b86a6d0c361b94a.png

What this means regarding tendering remains to be seen...

20 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

OK, firstly, let me suggest you follow the roll call  for the 6/15 cruise. I don't mind answering questions but, it's getting repetitive and very granular. These cruises are not for the faint of heart. The massages etc. are fully booked. The spa (sauna, ice grotto, spa pool and everything in that area are capacity controlled and by reservation.

As far as your dinner reservations go, you can call a telephone number once on board or, they may have the app functioning properly. As far as prioritizing reservations, tours, spa etc based on room category, it was a free for all for our date.

Thanks again!  I have to remind myself that these cruises are different.  And I need to stop stressing about minor things and just go with the flow.  Easier said than done sometimes.

Enjoy the cruise!  Please keep sharing your experience.

• Like 1

Just checked MVJ and noted that the 2 spa reservations I made weeks ago have disappeared. They were there yesterday. Of course, no available spa appointments now.

The online chat helper responded that they are having web issues, but that in any event "you will have to confirm all spa reservations at the spa desk once you are on board." Hmmm. 

Anyone else have this issue?

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I saw this too. It was organized by the administrator of one of the groups over there. I asked how he did it and he didn’t answer that directly but suggested I speak with the restaurant manager once onboard.  I suspect he did something ahead of time given it appeared they had passed hors d’ouvres in Torshaven and then all sat together in The Restaurant. 

It will be interesting to see what transpires on your cruise.  Please post any suggestions for those sailing in Iceland later if you are able to set up any sort of meet & greet/mingle. 

Clay,  Are you the same guy that pretty much travels all of the time.  Seems I saw a blog with you posting about your traveling around the world.  It may have been someone that resembles you. 

We were booked on the Bermuda Escape, July 20th and I had to have surgery and Dr won't let me take the cruise, so we had to cancel.  

Just now, aussie1944 said:

Clay,  Are you the same guy that pretty much travels all of the time.  Seems I saw a blog with you posting about your traveling around the world.  It may have been someone that resembles you. 

We were booked on the Bermuda Escape, July 20th and I had to have surgery and Dr won't let me take the cruise, so we had to cancel.  

Sounds like me!  We traveled for two years but then Lady Rona put a stop to that😢

The blog is still there and I post occasionally but due to the cost of storing photos, any new posts are words only. We do have an Instagram account where we currently post pictures of our boring retirement activities but intend to use like a blog when we leave fir Iceland on July 9th.  Links are in my signature if you want to live vicariously 😂

Sorry you won’t be able to be welcomed back but hopefully you will healed and able to cruise again soon. 

3 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Nope, don't care, enough. Spent less time searching my emails in my bathrobe on my wrap around balcony than fooling with Guest Services.

Ok.  Just seemed like you were pretty frustrated and I know from personal experience that onboard Viking will bend over backwards to solve issues….as long as they are asked. 

enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Ok.  Just seemed like you were pretty frustrated and I know from personal experience that onboard Viking will bend over backwards to solve issues….as long as they are asked. 

enjoy your cruise. 

No, not frustrated. Just not important enough, to me, to spend any time with it. Just passing on the information. We are enjoying our cruise, thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Britcnm said:

So do you have to wear masks all the time? Sitting by the pool? In the bars? 

This is the way I understand it (and what we've been doing):

Wear masks at all times unless you're --sitting to eat

-drinking

-out at the pool

-we went for a walk today on the promenade deck and took ours off during the walk

-at the spa doing the whole hot/cold experience whatever that's called 

I probably missed something but that's what I can remember now.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pronsias OhAodha said:

Just checked MVJ and noted that the 2 spa reservations I made weeks ago have disappeared. They were there yesterday. Of course, no available spa appointments now.

The online chat helper responded that they are having web issues, but that in any event "you will have to confirm all spa reservations at the spa desk once you are on board." Hmmm. 

Yup
Iceland & Malta cruises same issue.

Viking home office having a really bad comeback cruise performance.

4 hours ago, Pronsias OhAodha said:

Mine disappeared today. Chat said they have no record of it