Sailing for Saudi Arabia

sidari

This was posted a short time ago by Shipmonk on Social Media.

MSC Magnifica and Virtuosa are to visit Saudi Arabia this winter in a partnership with Cruise Saudi, which aims to develop cruising in the region. Magnifica will sail seven-day Red Sea cruises from Jeddah while Virtuosa's Arabian Gulf sailings will call at the port of Damman.

• Like 4

Just checked and our 12-Mar-22 cruise on Virtuosa has been changed. Annoyingly, they replaced Bahrain with Dammam rather than adding it as an extra stop. Was already going to Riyadh and Jeddah afterwards so somewhat annoyed at losing a country. And of course MSC didn't actually tell us.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Is it correct to assume that the cruises will be no-alcohol? Some might prefer that.

(I don't but it's a good thing that people are different so if some prefer that, or don't care, it's good with options.) 

Unlikely given the profit to be made on drinks sales and it would be unappealing to the majority of customer. 

5 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Unlikely given the profit to be made on drinks sales and it would be unappealing to the majority of customer. 

But they are very strict about that in Saudi Arabia.

I know that their national airline doesn't serve alcohol on any flights, unless it has changed recently which I really doubt.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

It seems that they are very strict about a lot of things in Saudi Arabia. 

With the launch of the tourist e-visa on 28 September 2019, Saudi Arabia announced new regulations related to public conduct and decency.

Men and women are required to refrain from public displays of affection, and avoid using profane language or gestures.

Taking pictures or recording videos without permission is not permitted.

Visitors to Saudi Arabia should familiarise themselves with public decency laws.

Local laws require men and women to dress modestly covering shoulders and knees in public, avoiding tight-fitting clothing or clothes with profane language or images.

Homosexual or extra-marital sexual relations, including adultery, are illegal and can be subject to severe penalties. It’s also illegal to be transgender. 

Penalties for the possession of, or trade in alcohol are severe. Both result in prison sentences. Do not arrive in Saudi Arabia under the influence of alcohol.

If you bring medication with you, carry a doctor’s prescription.

Importing pork products is forbidden.

The punishment for smuggling drugs includes the death penalty.

Photographing government buildings, military installations, and palaces is not allowed.  You should avoid photographing local people.

Binoculars should not be brought into Saudi Arabia and may be confiscated at the port of entry.

It’s illegal to hold 2 passports in Saudi Arabia. Second passports will be confiscated by the immigration authorities if they’re discovered.

The Saudi legal system differs in many ways from the UK. Suspects can be held without charge and are not always allowed quick access to legal representation. The Saudi authorities have detained witnesses and victims of crimes. If you need consular assistance, British Embassy staff will try to visit you as soon as they are aware of the case, but in some instances Embassy staff have not been permitted to do so immediately or have had access limited.

•  

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know that their national airline doesn't serve alcohol on any flights, unless it has changed recently which I really doubt.

I suspect alcohol will be served. First, like CruisingFox27 said, there is lots of money to be made with drinks.

But more importantly, while KSA is very strict, Riyadh and Jeddah are two very different cities, with the former being more "traditional" Saudi Arabia while the latter is much more relaxed. This is because Jeddah is very international. There are compounds there for foreign workers (mostly from Europe and America) which serve alcohol. Additionally, you'll see women with more relaxed dress (e.g., heads not covered).

Don't get me wrong, Jeddah is still very strict. They behead people there and rules about when men without families can enter certain places (e.g., restaurants, malls, etc.) vs women and families are very much enforced.

My point is that Jeddah is used to foreigners and I suspect the rules will be relaxed. Most likely no alcohol in port, but once you are sailing the drinks will flow.

• 1 year later...

Hello. 

My family is booked on World Europa (Dec 2022) out of Dubai. 

Unfortunately some of us are holding Philippines passports which looks to be not qualified to get e-visa online. 

For those who have had a sailing with a stop in Damman (or any other Saudi port), from your personal experience (or your fellow cruisers on that particular cruise), will we be allowed to board without having a visa, as long as we will stay on the ship and NOT go ashore in Dammam? 

Thanks in advance. 

On 4/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, sverigecruiser said:

the bars are closed when in Saudi A and no drinks ( alcohol ) on the airline  

16 hours ago, benitz8 said:

Hello. 

My family is booked on World Europa (Dec 2022) out of Dubai. 

Unfortunately some of us are holding Philippines passports which looks to be not qualified to get e-visa online. 

For those who have had a sailing with a stop in Damman (or any other Saudi port), from your personal experience (or your fellow cruisers on that particular cruise), will we be allowed to board without having a visa, as long as we will stay on the ship and NOT go ashore in Dammam? 

Thanks in advance. 

You need to ask MSC or get travel agent to ask MSC, you cannot rely on other peoples answer. 

Yes, alcohol will be available for our guests on board MSC Bellissima during her winter season in the Red Sea as it is similarly on our cruise ships that have in the past operated in the Gulf and will do so also in winter 2021/22. In respect to the Saudi Law, alcoholic drinks will not be served during the stays in Saudi Arabian ports. Our long list of non-alcoholic drinks will be enriched to offer even more tastier drinking choices when the ship stays in Saudi Arabian ports.

From MSC FAQs. Presume they will do the same.