Best cabins for sun

mared1

My husband likes to sit on the cabin balcony in the sun. We are considering a Jewel of the Seas or Allure 8 day Caribbean. Several posts show balcony pics that look like the balcony is completely covered. Which would be the best cabin on one or both ships to get sun. 

The aft balconies on Jewel get the most sun. On a Caribbean cruise there is no particular side of the ship that gets more sun, or at least, that I have ever noticed. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Best time is during the day to get sun . It rises in the east and sets in the west so what way is the captain sailing ? 🙄

You'd think but multiple Balcony's on some ships get 2-5 times more Sun on a Cruise then others. Done almost 300 Nites on Radiance Class and this included these ships. Some Balcony's have deep overhang with limited to no Sun ever. Some like I stay on no overhang, deep Balcony and can have Sun morning to nite most of the Cruise. 

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

You'd think but multiple Balcony's on some ships get 2-5 times more Sun on a Cruise then others. Done almost 300 Nites on Radiance Class and this included these ships. Some Balcony's have deep overhang with limited to no Sun ever. Some like I stay on no overhang, deep Balcony and can have Sun morning to nite most of the Cruise. 

But the sun will be there for sunrise on one side of the ship and sunset on the other! Then when you return it will be the opposite...go aft 😇

Aft balconies are always good for sun. On Radiance class some of the deck 10 balconies have a very deep overhang, we were in 1032 for a TA on Brilliance and even though we were on the sunny side of the ship our balcony was always in the shade. I'd avoid anything in this area even a deck lower.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

But the sun will be there for sunrise on one side of the ship and sunset on the other! Then when you return it will be the opposite...go aft 😇

Always Aft/Corner with large Balcony with almost 270 View. Ship traveling North, South, East or West will have Sun usually all or most of every day on my Balcony. Now there is also more then a couple Balcony's where can go most or whole Cruise w/o Sun depending on the Cruise. Those are perfect for some that are avoiding the Sun completely.

Edited by ONECRUISER

ALL balconies are covered by the deck above.  Which side gets sun in the morning will depend on the direction you're headed.  You are unlikely to have full sun during the middle of the day and the decks above you will "shade" you.

almost everything aft of the forward elevators(not including the actual aft balconies) have larger overhangs starting on deck 9, then getting worse above deck 10 on Radiance class. We were on deck 8 with very little sun able to get to us under the overhang. The lower you go aft of the elevators the better the chance for sun. The deck 11 cabins on the starboard side have little to no roof above them  and deck 10 on the port side are fairly exposed. Cabins forward of the elevators have a better shot at sun because they dont have the big pool deck hanging out above. Not my picture below. borrowed from google search if that's allowed, but it shows the shadows cast by the upper deck. Deck 7 is directly above the life boats, and this picture is before the deck 11 cabins were added, so the forward cabins level with the bridge wing are deck 10. That is what the port side still looks like. 

Jewel Of The Seas deck plan | CruiseMapper

Edited by MiniChunks