Is there a new "Lift & Shift" policy at Azamara?

CHTobi

Quick question (probably mostly addressed to USA Azamarians primarily as this is about bookings made in America) regarding the new round of "lift & shift" options at Azamara that followed the announcement earlier this week of cancellations. Has there been a policy change? I did two lift and shift transactions last year and earlier this year and in both cases I received the full fare paid (minus deposits, of course) refunded to my credit card and a new "payment due date" (the now standard 120 days prior to sailing) was noted on the confirmation of the lifted and shifted itinerary/confirmation.

Yesterday I did a lift and shift of our cancelled July 2021 Black Sea sailing to a Norwegian intensive sailing in July 2022. The new confirmation now shows a FCC instead of a refund to credit card. Considering that the sailing is over 15 months into the future, I would prefer to get a refund and am wondering if this actually is a real policy change or just a "mistake"?

Also, the onboard credits of the two earlier lifted and shifted sailings moved along to the new reservations completely. On this most recent lift and shift (the one yesterday) the onboard credit that was moved to the new confirmation was $900.00 vs. the $1,500.00 on the original reservation. Again, does this represent a policy change or is this a "mistake"?

Hope someone has an answer. I have also contacted Azamara to get an answer on this. But am curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks!

Guests will have three compensation options to choose from.

1. . 125% Future Cruise Credit to book a new cruise by April 30, 2022 and sail by September 30, 2022.
    • This amount will be based on total cruise fare paid.
    • Future Cruise Credit will automatically be issued via email.
    • If you have purchased pre- or post-land packages through Azamara, you will also receive compensation in the same form as your cruise fare.
    • If you opted into the Cruise with Confidence 100% Future Cruise Credit for this sailing, you do not qualify for this offer.
    • Visit our online form to submit your FCC request.
  2. Lift and Shift: Or, you can keep the cruise vacation plans to the same destination and move the existing booking to a 2022 sailing within four weeks of the originally scheduled sailing.
    • Call Azamara to move the reservation at the same rate and promotion.
  3. 100% Refund: Or, you have until July 21, 2021 to request a refund and deactivate the Future Cruise Credit certificate.

In the UK, we were offered 4 alternative cruises. 3 in the Black Sea but shorter than the one cancelled or a cruise from Bordeaux to Barcelona. 

We could have refund or FCC.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, laurieb said:

Guests will have three compensation options to choose from.

1. . 125% Future Cruise Credit to book a new cruise by April 30, 2022 and sail by September 30, 2022.
    • This amount will be based on total cruise fare paid.
    • Future Cruise Credit will automatically be issued via email.
    • If you have purchased pre- or post-land packages through Azamara, you will also receive compensation in the same form as your cruise fare.
    • If you opted into the Cruise with Confidence 100% Future Cruise Credit for this sailing, you do not qualify for this offer.
    • Visit our online form to submit your FCC request.
  2. Lift and Shift: Or, you can keep the cruise vacation plans to the same destination and move the existing booking to a 2022 sailing within four weeks of the originally scheduled sailing.
    • Call Azamara to move the reservation at the same rate and promotion.
  3. 100% Refund: Or, you have until July 21, 2021 to request a refund and deactivate the Future Cruise Credit certificate.

Thanks for that info - I was, of course, aware of these policies. But my question is about what happens when you do a "lift and shift" - with regard to cruise fare paid. As I stated in the original post, I did two lift and shifts last year and in both cases I received a full (minus deposits) refund of the paid cruise fare to my credit card and a new due date. On this new lift and shift (the one of last week) the confirmation spells out an FCC, which is very different form a refund to my credit card. I am wondering if there was a change in policy. With an FCC the cruise line hangs on to my money whereas with a refund to my credit card, the cruise line releases my funds back to me and collects them again at a new due date. It is not that I desperately need the money back (although we are talking $18,000.00 plus in this specific case - which isn't necessarily "small change"...) Also, should anything happen in terms of the cruise line getting in financial trouble down the line, it would - of course - be better to have the refund instead of the FCC. Not that I am overly worried about financials trouble for Azamara at this point in time. Still waiting to hear back from Azamara themselves regarding all this. But thanks for your feedback and input.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:02 AM, manc said:

In the UK, we were offered 4 alternative cruises. 3 in the Black Sea but shorter than the one cancelled or a cruise from Bordeaux to Barcelona. 

We could have refund or FCC.

Were you not offered the Norway intensive as an alternative for the lift and shift? That one is a 14 night sailing and therefore closer to the one that got canceled. I did not like the 2022 Black Sea itineraries and opted for the Norway (Dublin to Amsterdam via Oslo) instead. My question is why there is a difference in what happened to paid cruise fare last year after a lift and shift - refund to credit card vs what seems to be happening now where an FCC is issued instead of the refund.

Were you offered Norway as an option by Azamara, or is that one you selected?  If it's one you selected that Azamara didn't offer you, that could be why as it's to a different destination. 

5 hours ago, laurieb said:

Were you offered Norway as an option by Azamara, or is that one you selected?  If it's one you selected that Azamara didn't offer you, that could be why as it's to a different destination. 

Nope, the Norway intensive was offered as one of the lift and shift options in my cancellation letter...

124686C5-42B0-4260-B4F6-66E5ABF36B2B.png

We did a L&S just a few days ago. It was rejected by the agent at first, and I had to insist and send a copy of Azamaras mail before they were willing to give me the option I wanted. Sometimes I think the agents are just lazy.... 

• Like 1

The options we were offered in the letter were missing a number of cruises that were actually eligible. We were interested in one that was not in the letter. My TA talked to Azamara and found out that the letter was incorrect and we were eligible for the cruise we were most interested in.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:08 PM, laurieb said:

Hmmm

Definitely sounds like something you'll need to talk with Azamara about.

Was this by chance one of the cruises you had already lifted and shifted earlier?

Yes, this was the second lift and shift for this itinerary. The original sail date was July 2020, I believe. But I do not see why that should make any difference in terms of how this gets handled (form a money flow perspective - as in FCC vs refund to credit card). Azamara has communicated with me and they think that something "messy" went on (as in - mistake) and they are in the process of figuring things out for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CHTobi said:

Yes, this was the second lift and shift for this itinerary. The original sail date was July 2020, I believe. But I do not see why that should make any difference in terms of how this gets handled (form a money flow perspective - as in FCC vs refund to credit card). Azamara has communicated with me and they think that something "messy" went on (as in - mistake) and they are in the process of figuring things out for me.

I'm happy to hear that they are looking into it for you!!

22 hours ago, eanselm said:

The options we were offered in the letter were missing a number of cruises that were actually eligible. We were interested in one that was not in the letter. My TA talked to Azamara and found out that the letter was incorrect and we were eligible for the cruise we were most interested in.

Or as they say in the "trade" - mistakes do happen. Glad that your TA was able to secure for you what you were interested in. These are unprecedented times and everybody in every industry seems a bit overwhelmed with the consequences of the pandemic. I am willing to be forgiving and understanding as long as things get resolved down the line...

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:24 AM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Does Lift & Shift apply if we cancel?

No, I do not think so... If Azamara cancels sailing, they will offer alternative sailings to "lift and shift" into so you can lock in the old price (price you paid when you booked the canceled itinerary). If you cancel a sailing that might still take place or a sailing before it is canceled by Azamara, the conditions are different. For lift and shift to be offered, the cruise line has to initiate the cancellation, or at least that is my understanding.

• Like 2

I don't know whether it is the same now, but we lifted & shifted last October & November to this year prior to final payment, quite some time before those cruises were cancelled by Azamara.

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I don't know whether it is the same now, but we lifted & shifted last October & November to this year prior to final payment, quite some time before those cruises were cancelled by Azamara.

Like you, we were also able to take advantage of that offer to L&S well before our May cruise was eventually cancelled. I believe that offer expired on 31 January 2021. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be available now unless Azamara actually cancel the cruise. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

With our borders closed until the middle of next year, we have pulled the plug before final payment on our November 2021 bookings which were lifted & shifted from similar in 2020.

No lift & shift available, but we were able to cancel without penalty and rebook similar cruises next year. New price prevails and no perks carried forward.

Three years is a long time without a dose of "vitamin sea" especially when used to cruising several times each year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

With our borders closed until the middle of next year, we have pulled the plug before final payment on our November 2021 bookings which were lifted & shifted from similar in 2020.

No lift & shift available, but we were able to cancel without penalty and rebook similar cruises next year. New price prevails and no perks carried forward.

Three years is a long time without a dose of "vitamin sea" especially when used to cruising several times each year.

Will you be able to get some 'vitamin sea' on an Australians-only cruise?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Will you be able to get some 'vitamin sea' on an Australians-only cruise?

Possibly, but not looking likely at the moment, unless the government does a bit of an about face on internationally based cruise ships. 🤔

It seems as if they are ok with people being crammed like sardines into airplanes, but unfortunately there is a mindset against cruise ships.

Coral Sea Expeditions based in Cairns, Queensland, are currently able to cruise our waters, but they are not really our cup of tea.

When they started back up with an all Australian crew and an all Australian passenger complement, you would not believe the hue and cry from people who have no idea at all about cruising, but are happy to board an airplane!

Other possibilities may be Australia - New Zealand, currently we are able to fly without quarantine.

A travel bubble between Sydney - Singapore is currently under discussion.

Currently staying land based and making do with a little extra Vitamin D from our sunshine. 🌞

Edited by Baynanno1
additional information
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Sorry to hear that Baynanno, but I think you’re wise. We haven’t cancelled yet, but are likely to. We can’t see that cruise going ahead with its current itinerary - Myanmar is clearly a no-go and India isn’t good. With Australia closed I think Azamara will have to re-think all the Journey’s itineraries in the autumn & winter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Possibly, but not looking likely at the moment, unless the government does a bit of an about face on internationally based cruise ships. 🤔

It seems as if they are ok with people being crammed like sardines into airplanes, but unfortunately there is a mindset against cruise ships.

Coral Sea Expeditions based in Cairns, Queensland, are currently able to cruise our waters, but they are not really our cup of tea.

When they started back up with an all Australian crew and an all Australian passenger complement, you would not believe the hue and cry from people who have no idea at all about cruising, but are happy to board an airplane!

Other possibilities may be Australia - New Zealand, currently we are able to fly without quarantine.

A travel bubble between Sydney - Singapore is currently under discussion.

Currently staying land based and making do with a little extra Vitamin D from our sunshine. 🌞

It's tough Trish. You and Peter must be gagging to travel, but I suspect are a bit like me. You don't necessarily want to be stuck on a ship with a boatload of your fellow countrymen. Part of the joy of cruising for me is the international flavour of the guests. 

Phil 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Sorry to hear that Baynanno, but I think you’re wise. We haven’t cancelled yet, but are likely to. We can’t see that cruise going ahead with its current itinerary - Myanmar is clearly a no-go and India isn’t good. With Australia closed I think Azamara will have to re-think all the Journey’s itineraries in the autumn & winter.

See you in October 2022 with a little bit of luck! 😃

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's tough Trish. You and Peter must be gagging to travel, but I suspect are a bit like me. You don't necessarily want to be stuck on a ship with a boatload of your fellow countrymen. Part of the joy of cruising for me is the international flavour of the guests. 

Phil 

Thanks Phil. It has been a bit frustrating and will be three years between doses of "vitamin sea" for us when we board Quest in Athens in October 2022.

The international flavour is as you say part of the joy of cruising.

Trish

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree!

• Like 1