Viking Shores and Fjords - SEPT 2021 - Cancelled?

geordie_jim

Looks like our September cruise to the Fjords is in the process of being cancelled!

MVJ is locked for this specific cruise , and if you try to book the cruise (UK website) the first available Fjords cruise in now April 2022.

Jim

Funny, we are on the Rhine & Viking Shores and Fjords on August 3rd this year and this is still showing although I cannot get onto My Viking Journey as it is saying that "We're sorry, but our site is currently undergoing maintenance". So I will have a look tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Jchivers said:

I have a bad feeling....if you do a search for cruises in August only 3 itineraries come up (2 of which are transoceanic).  My cruise (Italian Sojourn, August 1) isn't there.

I think you are correct - check this post:

Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule - Page 5 - Viking Ocean - Cruise Critic Community

22 hours ago, ARDXXX said:

Funny, we are on the Rhine & Viking Shores and Fjords on August 3rd this year and this is still showing although I cannot get onto My Viking Journey as it is saying that "We're sorry, but our site is currently undergoing maintenance". So I will have a look tomorrow.

No longer showing on the website.  

Feels like it is time to brace for another round of cancellations.  All the signs are right and so is the timing.  

18 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

Just looked it is still showing on the UK site but looking again at My Viking Journey I now get " Your booking is currently locked for updates. Please try again later. " So ??

Patience.  It takes them a few days to get their ducks in a row before they send out the cancellation notices. I hope I'm wrong but all the signs point to another round of cancellation--and I would rather be wrong than offer you false hope.  

Just phoned Viking UK as still locked out of My Viking Journey and informed that there is nothing to worry about, Cruise is still going ahead on 3rd August and that MVJ page will be accessible in another 48 hours it is just being updated.

Will wait and see!

Fourteen new sailings for Iceland have been added as of this morning.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-natural-beauty/pricing.html

Plus two new Med itineraries in the welcome back program (don't know if this is for US pax only or not).

Edited by Peregrina651

30 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Fourteen new sailings for Iceland have been added as of this morning.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-natural-beauty/pricing.html

Plus two new Med itineraries in the welcome back program (don't know if this is for US pax only or not).

Could be US only, as we have no itineraries listed under Welcome Back. Only says "Additional 2021 Voyages Coming Soon". Provides us a link to sign up for notifications as they become available.

Just looked at the new Malta and Adriatic sailings.  Viking Venus is scheduled for the August 13-23 cruise.  Our August 9th British isles Explorer cruise (which was supposed to be on the Venus) has obviously been canceled.

2 minutes ago, lodimom said:

Just looked at the new Malta and Adriatic sailings.  Viking Venus is scheduled for the August 13-23 cruise.  Our August 9th British isles Explorer cruise (which was supposed to be on the Venus) has obviously been canceled.

Weird that you read this on the website before getting an email as the update says those affected were notified. Would like to know if Viking is offering 125% FCV.

Just got the official email from Viking saying our cruise has been canceled with the details of the 125% future cruise voucher which must be used on a 2021 or 2022 cruise.  One thing that isn't clear to me is if you must use all of the voucher on a single cruise.  

2 minutes ago, lodimom said:

Just got the official email from Viking saying our cruise has been canceled with the details of the 125% future cruise voucher which must be used on a 2021 or 2022 cruise.  One thing that isn't clear to me is if you must use all of the voucher on a single cruise.  

That info should be in your email. Unless something changed, the answer is yes - must be used on a single cruise.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The link to new sailings doesnt work for me in the UK  Does it say which ship ?

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/eastern-mediterranean/malta-and-adriatic-jewels/pricing.html

Of course, this is the US website.  Not sure on the UK site.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/welcome-back.html

I had an online chat with Viking yesterday, where he said that our cruise had not been cancelled (yet) and to check back in 24-48 hours when MVJ is back online.

This morning, we got the email that Italian Sojourn (Aug 1) has been cancelled, 125% voucher, yada yada.  

I don't blame Viking for being less than forthcoming...they have to assume and state officially that everything is on, until it's officially off.

Edited by Jchivers

Posted elsewhere, but we received our official cancellation email this am from Viking for our Oct 4 Trade Routes Bergen to Barcelona. Offering 125% FCC.   Email also stated "Because we have cancelled itineraries that were not possible to operate given current circumstances, including your sailing, we have redeployed our ocean fleet to the new Welcome Back voyages this summer. As you consider your travel plans, we invite you to explore our expanded Welcome Back offerings as an alternative."

25 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

This is our 3rd cancellation ... we originally had a river cruise last spring, then the Mediterranean this July, and now August.  We'll try for something in 2022.  

Sigh.

This is a parallel situation I had a month ago when my Ukraine river cruise was cancelled just days after I paid the balance. The good news is there are a lot excellent choices available to use your 125%.

4 hours ago, lodimom said:

I just paid for a cruise using a voucher. Yes, you must use the entire voucher on one cruise -- and you must use it before you sail for cruise fare, gratutities, shorex or drinks package.  Anything unspent WILL NOT rollover to your shipboard account.

Had a look at possible cruises following todays cancellation and the fares seem to have increased substantially.   UK site not showing new Malta cruises yet.  I usually praise Viking but I think they should definitely offer a "lift and shift" maintaining the same price for a similar cruise to that which they have cancelled. That is what Azamara have done despite the the 2022 advertised fare being more.  I have so far only paid a deposit so will only get a relatively small benefit from the 125% FCC.