Easy Rome

Alushar

Princess has an Easy Rome tour and as my DH has limited mobility this looks an option. We have been to Rome before so we are just looking for an oversight to refresh memories.

The trip does say that it requires a 15 min walk from the bus stop to the Vatican and 0.6 miles of walking.

If anyone has done this tour could they confirm :

1) Does the 0.6miles include the walk to and from the Vatican?

2) Do you walk from and back to the Vatican or are you picked up nearer?

3) Do the streets around the bus depot have bars/cafes/shops?

Thanks

We did this excursion in 2019.  The distance is each way and you will get back on the bus the same place you are dropped off.  Lots of cafes, etc. in the area, but keep in mind it is quite congested.   Covid restrictions may not allow you to do all the sites that you may want to see,  specifically The Vatican.  When is your cruise?  If it’s 2022, you should be fine, but if you’re sailing in 2021 there could be changes to all itineraries. 

14 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We did this excursion in 2019.  The distance is each way and you will get back on the bus the same place you are dropped off.  Lots of cafes, etc. in the area, but keep in mind it is quite congested.   Covid restrictions may not allow you to do all the sites that you may want to see,  specifically The Vatican.  When is your cruise?  If it’s 2022, you should be fine, but if you’re sailing in 2021 there could be changes to all itineraries. 

Thanks for the reply. The cruise is late October 2021 so we are well aware possible restrictions but as we ie UK and Italy should all be vaccinated by then we are hoping it’ll be ok. 

• Like 1

The large buses cannot go into the center of Rome. For that reason we used "Rome in Limo" for our tours. We have been three times and used them each time. They will do whatever sites you prefer. Their cars/vans go directly to the site which was so helpful to me.

• Like 2

I have a lot of compassion for people with physical limitations.

Saying that, I can not see a way someone in a wheelchair could do the Vatican tour. There is so many people and so crowded in every room. I only saw stairs that we had to go up and down. They likely have elevators somewhere but not where the crowds are herded (that I know of).

All of Rome is awesome city so maybe other tour in a part of Rome you haven't visited?

• Like 1

To the OP-

Your question may also be better addressed on the Europe/ Mediterranean/ Italy forum.

Also, there a re a couple of threads addressing if princess is really going to dock in Rome this year. The itineraries on the Princess website do not match the Port Schedules. We will be cancelling.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, katisdale said:

The large buses cannot go into the center of Rome. For that reason we used "Rome in Limo" for our tours. We have been three times and used them each time. They will do whatever sites you prefer. Their cars/vans go directly to the site which was so helpful to me.

Thanks we are assuming we will still be in Ship Tour only schedule otherwise will definitely look at this

12 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I have a lot of compassion for people with physical limitations.

Saying that, I can not see a way someone in a wheelchair could do the Vatican tour. There is so many people and so crowded in every room. I only saw stairs that we had to go up and down. They likely have elevators somewhere but not where the crowds are herded (that I know of).

All of Rome is awesome city so maybe other tour in a part of Rome you haven't visited?

Thanks and I'd agree. I suspect if it goes we will be on a Ship Tour only basis so would be restrircted if not we will look at other options

11 hours ago, nini said:

To the OP-

Your question may also be better addressed on the Europe/ Mediterranean/ Italy forum.

Also, there a re a couple of threads addressing if princess is really going to dock in Rome this year. The itineraries on the Princess website do not match the Port Schedules. We will be cancelling.

Thanks for the info as it was a specific Princess Tour I thought her might be better. Thanks for the info re schedule I will look out for that as we have been to Rome it's not a deal breaker but I'd be interested in what is being suggested. Hope you find a good alternative

Alushar;  when you searched the Princess Excursion did you see if any of their excursions were set up for people with mobility issues?  Is your husband in a wheelchair?  I know there are ramps leading up to the Basilica.  Also as mentioned in post #2, I also have used Rome in Limo;  they are excellent; they are not the cheapest around; but they provide the best tours

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Alushar;  when you searched the Princess Excursion did you see if any of their excursions were set up for people with mobility issues?  Is your husband in a wheelchair?  I know there are ramps leading up to the Basilica.  Also as mentioned in post #2, I also have used Rome in Limo;  they are excellent; they are not the cheapest around; but they provide the best tours

Hi, there were 2 Easy level excursions to Rome one for wheelchairs and one not. My DW isn't in a wheelchair but finds walking longer distances and standing long times a challenge. As we've been to Rome previously we are happy to find a bar and chill closer to the bus depot but they may have Covid rules about that.

If we can do our own trips as a lot will change ion 6 months we will definitely check out Rome by Limo

8 minutes ago, Alushar said:

Hi, there were 2 Easy level excursions to Rome one for wheelchairs and one not. My DW isn't in a wheelchair but finds walking longer distances and standing long times a challenge. As we've been to Rome previously we are happy to find a bar and chill closer to the bus depot but they may have Covid rules about that.

If we can do our own trips as a lot will change ion 6 months we will definitely check out Rome by Limo

Sorry about the mistake with your husband's wheelchair and mobility.  six months will tell us what we can and can't do.  Maybe shore excursion's will become more lax

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, Alushar said:

Thanks for the reply. The cruise is late October 2021 so we are well aware possible restrictions but as we ie UK and Italy should all be vaccinated by then we are hoping it’ll be ok. 

Sounds like we are on the same cruise. 22nd October from Southampton?   I too can't walk a long way or stand around for long which is why we normally do our own thing.  I think we will be stuck with ships excursions though this time.  Haven't decided what to do yet.

2 hours ago, DuckDuck said:

Sounds like we are on the same cruise. 22nd October from Southampton?   I too can't walk a long way or stand around for long which is why we normally do our own thing.  I think we will be stuck with ships excursions though this time.  Haven't decided what to do yet.

Yes that's the same cruise good to hear from you. We've booked a couple of the Ship Tours just to be sure of getting off 

2 hours ago, DuckDuck said:

There's a roll call for this cruise if you are interested.

19 minutes ago, Alushar said:

I did exactly the same but luckily @wowzz but me right too

Sorry peeps - if I had used the right date in the first place, I would have made life easier for everyone !

• Like 1