Ships to start sailing half capacity in August from Bayonne

38 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I am someone who will continue to use a mask despite being vaccinated as I have had the healthiest year I have had in the last 20, and I attribute that to not being exposed to any pathogens. I happen to have severe lung disease and it's been really nice to stay out of the hospital. It was also really nice to have a warm face while skiing. 

And why that would bother anyone else is beyond me! Congrats on the healthy year, hope it continues for many more!

• Like 4

On 5/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, CruiseBride926 said:

It’s so weird to me that people think this is controlling. Like hate Murphy all you want but pretty much everything is open and restaurants are now at 100% capacity. We’re pretty darn close to normal minus a couple more weeks of masks. 

Update, heard on radio this morning that our illustrious governor may announce on Monday that no masks will be mandated in restaurants for vaccinated people.

If true, I'm getting some comfort that he'll follow CDC and science and there will be cruising this year from Bayonne.  

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Not the current death rate.  Obviously they had a horrific start however if you only look at recent results they are definitely not the highest. 

You can't talk sense into these people. I'm sure Murphy ran for governor hoping, praying for pandemic just so he can "control" us. I'm sure he just loved the downward spiral in tax revenue too. 

Now the mask thing is something that I disagree with right now only because we were following the CDC and when they finally did say masks not required inside we should have followed. Why wait 2 weeks I don't understand but maybe the advice of local officials. Either way its ending this week. 

As for cruises we are on Oasis August 22. Lets see what happens. Our son is only 8 and no vaccine yet so it might be a no-go for us either way? 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, JFontaine said:

Celebrity Summit was out of Bayonne (Bermuda, August transatlantic,  fall foliage), now moved to Alaska. 

As of today 5/22 the Oasis is still off the coast of the Bahamas "marking time" with the "Indy" along with others. I'm just thinking, if the Odyssey calls Bayonne their Port this summer now, would you think that there's a reason to keep the Oasis's summer itinerary from there? Or cancel ? Perhaps RCI is thinking that the Odyssey is a "bigger attraction" being newer and would bring in more $ where it's a newer ship. Any thoughts?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

NJ has the highest death rate per hundred thousand from covid,  293 per hundred thousand

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

I would think that current trends would be more of a deciding factor then an overall average. Currently NJ is doing really well and has one of the best vaccination rates in the country.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

As of today 5/22 the Oasis is still off the coast of the Bahamas "marking time" with the "Indy" along with others. I'm just thinking, if the Odyssey calls Bayonne their Port this summer now, would you think that there's a reason to keep the Oasis's summer itinerary from there? Or cancel ? Perhaps RCI is thinking that the Odyssey is a "bigger attraction" being newer and would bring in more $ where it's a newer ship. Any thoughts?

Those Oasis cruises have been sold for years not months.  No need to attract anything.  They will have to bump people off Oasis before they have to worry about selling cabins.

If RC is allowed to cruise out of Bayonne Oasis will be be there.

I know a dozen people myself that had to lift and shift their cruise from last September to this September on Oasis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Those Oasis cruises have been sold for years not months.  No need to attract anything.  They will have to bump people off Oasis before they have to worry about selling cabins.

I know a dozen people myself that had to lift and shift their cruise from last September to this September on Oasis.

Hummm..Westbrook Maine.....nice. Wife and I spent the day at Olgunquit beach today !! Fog, overcast, with few sunny breaks, temp in the 70's. A couple of miles down route 1 the temp. jumped up to 91 when heading back to MA. people wrapped up in towels and sweatshirts. (No didn't go into the ocean) 😉

• Like 1

Just now, DJLDRUMS said:

Hummm..Westbrook Maine.....nice. Wife and I spent the day at Olgunquit beach today !! Fog, overcast, with few sunny breaks, temp in the 70's. A couple of miles down route 1 the temp. jumped up to 91 when heading back to MA. people wrapped up in towels and sweatshirts. (No didn't go into the ocean) 😉

Very nice DJ!!  Was a weird day weather wise, a bit overcast and a bit muggy, even had a little shower up this way.  Hope to have you up this way again!!  Its nice to get out and about again isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Very nice DJ!!  Was a weird day weather wise, a bit overcast and a bit muggy, even had a little shower up this way.  Hope to have you up this way again!!  Its nice to get out and about again isn't it?

You bet...And had to stop at Flo's  Hot Dogs in Cape Neddick to get a little bit of heaven.

2 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I wonder if they move half of the Oasis passengers to Odyssey would they still make money sailing both ships? Between the Oasis and Freedom if they can only sail at 50% that's a lot of passengers and $$ that would have to move. Odyssey would certainly add capacity. 

12 hours ago, death_star said:

I wonder if they move half of the Oasis passengers to Odyssey would they still make money sailing both ships? Between the Oasis and Freedom if they can only sail at 50% that's a lot of passengers and $$ that would have to move. Odyssey would certainly add capacity. 

Wouldn't you think that IF passengers had to be moved from the Oasis to the Odyssey that people were first given the option for a full refund or other options first?  Is the Freedom supposed to run out of Bayonne now too? I'd think if the Odyssey will be guaranteed to then they'd open up the bookings NOW.                      And how about the Vision ? Has a new location been set up for that ship now?

Edited by DJLDRUMS
fix paragraph

38 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Wouldn't you think that IF passengers had to be moved from the Oasis to the Odyssey that people were first given the option for a full refund or other options first?  Is the Freedom supposed to run out of Bayonne now too? I'd think if the Odyssey will be guaranteed to then they'd open up the bookings NOW.                      And how about the Vision ? Has a new location been set up for that ship now?

Freedom and Oasis are both there scheduled in July. Anthem comes on in the fall. Hopefully Freedom will be there for our sailing in September. I wouldn't object though to switching to Odyssey 🙂

Just read on another thread (Sunday morning) that the Odyssey isn't coming to Bayonne and their maiden voyage will be July 11 out of Port Everglades(thank you for that post). So things are looking better and better for the Oasis to keep to the original schedule. To date any other RCI ship scheduled to operate from Bayonne in addition to the Oasis? Now, its up to the New Jersey Port Authority to make the next move.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, death_star said:

Freedom and Oasis are both there scheduled in July. Anthem comes on in the fall. Hopefully Freedom will be there for our sailing in September. I wouldn't object though to switching to Odyssey 🙂

Hope things get ironed out well before that. We all know that everything is based upon the Port Authority's decision and the CDC, and not necessarily in that order. As you must have just read from my last post the Odyssey is going to port Everglades now for their July 11th maiden voyage. i guess we win some and loose some. 😉 

I feel like I am being held hostage with my 9 day Oasis cruise out of Bayonne on July 30....please just give us a yes or no to going.....only thing listed on the schedule for Bayone for my cruise is N/A (that tells me nothing).....ugh.....I can not afford two vacations in one year, my dad is on this cruise with us so I can't just cancel myself.

Edited by brettgirl
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marygracie C. said:

thank you DLDDRUMS making us in Ct. feel better about our 9/12 Oasis sail from Bayonne.

You're very welcome Marygracie C. I'm booked with four other cabins on that date too. Final payment is coming up very soon !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brettgirl said:

I feel like I am being held hostage with my 9 day Oasis cruise out of Bayonne on July 30....please just give us a yes or no to going.....only thing listed on the schedule for Bayone for my cruise is N/A (that tells me nothing).....ugh.....I can not afford two vacations in one year, my dad is on this cruise with us so I can't just cancel myself.

I'm certain the focus is the big Florida money market for RCI and other CL's. Bayonne is just a drop in the bucket. I hope that your 9 nighter on the Oasis still goes. That's another topic with 7 nights and above.

30 minutes ago, brettgirl said:

Looks like you'll probably get a choice of either L&S or 125% FCC.  I'm 40/60 about our end of August on the Oasis, substantially less about your sailing.  July cruises in general will be very iffy

brettgirl, I am in the same boat (literally and figuratively) with you. We lifted and shifted to Oasis for July 30 from last summer. It’s getting a bit tedious watching all this great news happening while not hearing something from RC about the status of our cruise. Something’s gotta give soon. I actually went ahead and booked a Disney vacation for my family just because I know I can get there and have a good time! It’s a backup vacay, so I’ll cancel if Oasis sets sail.

I see that RC has Oasis cruises on their website in July and August (all 7 days to Bermuda or the Caribbean). Would you take one of those if they offer it? I’m not sure I would. We’ll see.

Edited by Jcrosby42509
  • Like 1

Just now, Jcrosby42509 said:

I see that RC has Oasis cruises on their website in July and August (all 7 days to Bermuda or the Caribbean). Would you take one of those if they offer it? I’m not sure I would. We’ll see.

Why would they be selling cabins when they will have to entice some of those already booked to cancel because of them being over capacity?  That makes ZERO sense to me.

• Haha 1

SNJCruisers, I hear you loud and clear. My first reaction was that, assuming they are going to have to go with 50 percent of total passenger capacity, they might distribute passengers from multiple cruises that were previously booked across multiple 7-day cruises that weren’t already on the schedule. But hey, what do I know? LOL.

Edited by Jcrosby42509