New Celebrity cruiser question about infinite verandas......

dockhl

On 6/12/2021 at 4:09 PM, marieps said:

And don't forget the bridge can and does on many occasion override your window control and shuts the window themselves.  This happened to us at the slightest hint of bad weather.  We truly did not care for the IV and will not sail E class again, as we sail AQ and IV is pretty much a given.  You may have a completely different take, and I'm hoping you do.  Have a great cruise.

Are all the verandas on the Edge class Infinite Verandas? There are no regular verandas?

On 6/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, basenji56 said:

That has been my experience too.  One of the biggest negatives about the IV.

IMHO, the biggest negative is the A/C turns off when the window is open. That is what happens also when the sliding glass door is left open to a regular balcony on the ships I have been on. But.....at least the sliding glass door can be closed and the A/C still works.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, nikel said:

I think I read somewhere last year they were changing the glass from clear to frosted ??

Are you referring to the glass folding doors that block off the window that slides open and closed?

I've got an IV booking coming up on APEX in November. We are big balcony cruisers with RCL, and this is our first booking with X. 

I do find the mechanics of the IV a bit concerning, particularly the A/C turning off in the room with the outside window open, regardless of the status of the sliding glass doors. I understand why it's been designed this way (RCL has a big engineering problem with inconsiderate people leaving the balcony door open and the A/C cranked), and I can only hope that in practice, this isn't as egregious as it sounds like it might be.

If I want to hang out on the "balcony," I don't really care if the A/C in the cabin proper is shut off. As long as when I close the outside window, it fires up immediately and cools the room relatively quickly. If the A/C is efficient, this isn't really the issue it could turn out to be. Otherwise, I'm going to have a cranky post-menopausal wife to deal with... 

On 6/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, Sailaway1706 said:

And so you find on this ship a bizarre collection of the most uncomfortable chairs. The main thing for Hoppen is that it looks good. 

One of my first comments about the Edge (after I got beyond that hideous orange parking garage elevator) was that the chairs in the public areas look cool, but are torture to sit in.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Ho hum, here we go trashing the Infinite Veranda (IV) once again. New, different, modern, no wonder it doesn’t work for the old, same, times-past. Actually, the IV is quite nice. Infinite refers to the fact that with the inside doors open the room opens up with no obstruction to the ocean blue. That other half of the sliding doors on the old-fashioned model is no longer there. The view is much better. Yes, if you open the top window of your balcony the AC/heat turns off. That’s as it should be. And you know what it opens up the room even more.

Here is an interesting fact I am sure that the naysayers don’t know. If your itinerary takes you to the colder climes or a wind and rainstorm keeps everyone inside, the IV will still provide its inhabitants that wide-open Infinite view. Despite the deluge you will not be confined to the inside part of your cabin because your balcony doors are wide-open. Pretty cool, huh. 

So, you can get with the times or stay behind. It’s not a right or wrong thing. The Infinite Veranda is a great option for those who like balconies. Personally, I would like to see some future ships with nothing but the IV model.

I admire your exuberance for the Infinite Veranda but in my heart, I know this set up will just not work for me and hubby. We like a very cool stateroom and I see that is not an option when one or both of us are enjoying the ocean breeze and open air. I prefer the regular sliding doors which close off the actual balcony while the A/C remains on in the stateroom.

Oh....one other thing. We enjoy standing at the edge of the balcony with our arms on the railing as we gaze at the views. Is that even a possibility with just a window ledge?

On 6/14/2021 at 6:30 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

On any new build ships the air conditioning will turnoff when the balcony door is open.   This is fuel saving and environmentally correct.   How many run their heat or air conditioning system and leave their windows and doors open at home?   It is a sensible change for the environment.

I agree BUT.....in a standard balcony stateroom, the A/C remains on even when the balcony (veranda) is in use. Just close the sliding glass doors and your good to go to walk back into a nice cool stateroom.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Oh....one other thing. We enjoy standing at the edge of the balcony with our arms on the railing as we gaze at the views. Is that even a possibility with just a window ledge?

You stand at the open window ledge and gaze out. 

On 6/15/2021 at 10:00 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

It seems like they could fix several issues if they replaced the bi fold doors with ones that sealed, had power blackout shades and they relocated the AC sensor from the IV glass to the new doors.  There are still issues with them but that would take a lot of the sting out of them and have features/functionality a lot closer to a traditional balcony. 

I really wish they would try that on a dozen staterooms and gauge the feedback.  Instead our fix was to replace the bi-fold door clear glass with frosted glass.

I was wondering about that......with the clear glass, when in port there is no way to close off the window to provide privacy without eliminating any natural light from entering the stateroom. At least with frosted glass bi-fold doors, sunlight can still enter the stateroom and offer privacy when in port.

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, cruisestitch said:

This is not original to me but I am reminded of a quip made by a cruise critic member early on.

If that’s a balcony, then my house has 37 balconies🪟

My old house had over 100 IV balconies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1